Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #1

Steering Bearing Longevity 41K

My original steering bearings were changed to All Balls at 30,000 miles, despite being good since I was doing a fork oil change. Recently the bike felt like it steered exceptionally easy. I've discovered the steering has that notch type feel. I'm considering going back to OEM bearings if this is the norm. I have installed thousands of tapered bearings in my automotive career and doubt I did anything wrong. In fact, I re-checked the preload at one point since a fork seal had a piece of crud in it and leaked. ANY OPINIONS?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by H8BUGZ; 10-26-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Top Contributor

AllBalls bearings are rebranded Chinese bearings. Several people on other forums have had issues with AllBalls bearings.

https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/...ngs/review-53/

https://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133247

Old 10-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
AllBalls bearings are rebranded Chinese bearings. Several people on other forums have had issues with AllBalls bearings.
Interesting, First I have heard of this.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 10-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

What MBarr said...

???

Dang, will have to do more research, as these were on the TO DO list for this Winter...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 10-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post

https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/...ngs/review-53/

https://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133247
I figured as much. Dont remember much in the way of identifying marks on the All Balls. Usually advice on this forum is golden. My guess is, some "enthusiasts" here don't see the kind of mileage I'm speaking about. Does anyone have Timken, GSK or GOOD bearing part numbers? All balls has a marginal cross reference.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

If you still have the factory bearing you should be able to take it to an industrial bearing supply and they will probably be able to match it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Redjay, good to know. For wheel bearings, I would definitely use Kawi or a better quality brand bearing than All Balls wheel bearings, in the future, after reading that. I felt that there was a little too much play in my front wheel when I last changed the tire, and I did replace the bearings with All Balls. I will be keeping a real close eye on those bearings, now.

However, and this is just my opinion, but even if All Balls are cheap Chinese bearings, they are still better than the crappy OEM steering bearings. If all metal steering bearings are properly greased and torqued, they should still last longer and be less prone to catastrophic failure than the OEM bearings.

Again, just my opinion, but the OEM steering bearings are the wrong type for the application. That type of bearing is typically used in high speed, low impact applications. The plastic cage was intact when I replaced mine, but I have seen a number of posts on various forums where the poster described the bearings as falling apart or the cage cracked and missing pieces when they removed the OEM bearings.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Advanced Member

On my Voyager the stock ball-type steering bearings were replaced under warranty with OEM bearings, twice in 400k kms. At about 450k I installed Allballs tapered bearings and they were trouble free and are still rolling smoothly for the new owner at 690k.
I maintained both bearing types the same way, removing the stem and cleaning, regreasing, and torquing to spec.
There is no justification for condemning Allballs simply because they may be made in China. It is possible to get good quality from China, as many brand name bearing companies have manufacturing plants there. I think the fact that the tapered roller bearings have a large contact line rather than the spot contact of a ball bearing makes them more suitable for this low speed, high impact application.
In the link that Redjay posted, they were wheel bearing failures that the poster admitted were caused by a seal failure resulting in rust damage to the bearings. On our bikes, the wheel bearings have non-contact seals, and there are separate spring loaded lip type seals beyond both bearings. If you replace and maintain those seals regularly (as I did) the bearings will run forever regardless of where they were made.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

The All Balls steering head bearings I installed on my 800 had to be replaced within a couple of years due to seal failure. That was my fault, through poor installation, and I've since replaced steering head bearings on my Nomad and Voyager with All Balls bearings, without any problem arising. In both cases the change completely eliminated minor head-shake on deceleration, and improved handling.

So I'll remain loyal to All Balls.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
On our bikes, the wheel bearings have non-contact seals, and there are separate spring loaded lip type seals beyond both bearings. If you replace and maintain those seals regularly (as I did) the bearings will run forever regardless of where they were made.
Accurate description about the front wheel seals and bearings, until you begin believing well maintained seals, will make a bearing last "FOREVER".

Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
I think the fact that the tapered roller bearings have a large contact line rather than the spot contact of a ball bearing makes them more suitable for this low speed, high impact application.
These were my thoughts all along. But not from actual knowledge, just made sense. Still does make sense regardless of the manufacturer or region of manufacture.

Quote:
will make a bearing last "FOREVER"
FOREVER = the life of the bike, that is forever to me. Who does a million miles besides 1 or 2 Goldwing riders.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 10-28-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I figured as much. Dont remember much in the way of identifying marks on the All Balls. Usually advice on this forum is golden. My guess is, some "enthusiasts" here don't see the kind of mileage I'm speaking about. Does anyone have Timken, GSK or GOOD bearing part numbers? All balls has a marginal cross reference.
All you have to do is have them do a cross reference....to get their New Numbers.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #13

Egg on my face?

I didn't really condemn All Balls, I just agreed they may be inferior quality being from China. Turns out water ruined my lower bearing. I used OEM Kawasaki seals with the tapered bearings. As the All Balls seals looked cheap/marginal to me. I see no reason OEM should not work with tapered bearings, but will compare when all my parts get here (both roller and tapered on order).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181028_160341 (1).jpg (96.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20181028_165833.jpg (95.3 KB, 11 views)

Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #14

I'd suggest you don't mix the All Balls bearings with OEM seals... I did the same thing with the first set I put on my 800, with exactly the same result as yours. I've used All Balls seals ever since, and had no further problem.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I'd suggest you don't mix the All Balls bearings with OEM seals... I did the same thing with the first set I put on my 800, with exactly the same result as yours. I've used All Balls seals ever since, and had no further problem.
Peg, do you remember if the All Balls seal lip rides around the outside of the neck tube. I remember the inner dimension being too big for the steering stem and no way to center it when pressing the lower bearing on. From what I see on their website, looks like maybe it's centered by the bearing cage when pressed on. The top All Balls seal looks the same, but Kawasaki has a much thicker plastic clad rubber seal that snaps on the adjusting nut. Doesn't add up for me now. Hope it makes more sense when I get the parts Wednesday.

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 10-28-2018 at 10:01 PM.