Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

New Member With Insurance Question

Good morning,

I've been lurking the forum for some time now, very informative. I've decided to make my first post about insurance. I'm a good driver, 20 years accident, ticket and claims free. I have excellent home and auto insurance policies and rates however my provider (CAA) does not cover motorcycles. My motorcycle is another matter, I'm grossly overcharged. I've been licensed for 38 years. My policy comes up in November, I wonder if the forum has any advice or suggestions? Or would share with me the name of a good provider.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Blagh, seems I posted in the wrong section, perhaps a Mod could relocate it. Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Onlydad; 08-30-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Top Contributor

My suggestion would be move to the U.S because we are getting shafted when it comes to any kind of insurance in Canada.

Basically your only choice is to shop around and see what you can find.
It seems you have to switch companies to get a better rate but in a few years you are back to what you were paying before.

Try and put all your insurance needs with one insurance company. They will often give a discount.

You can try Allstate. They give a discount if you have your car, house and motorcycle with them. It might be cheaper than CAA.

If you fill out your profile it will give forum members a better idea on what advice they give.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Most major insurance companies will allow you to obtain a quote online. Use a service such as Blur for throw-away emails so you don't end up with insurance spam forever.
Insurance rates can be significantly different from one street to another! Check every one that you can find, and also see how much the rate changes by also insuring the home with them. It can be significant!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

Welcome from Northern California!

I can't help you with insurance prices because I have bundled all my insurance with one company to have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy. When I did that I had to pay more for my bike insurance then before.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

I use Progressive. They have paid extremely well when needed and frankly the annual premium is small enough that I didn't think it was worth shopping around. (The claim when I totaled my '02 Nomad in 2011 paid high book for the bike and paid my purchase price on my gloves, chaps, coat, helmet and boots. As well as paying my purchase price on every mod I had made on the bike.)
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

I pay CAN$214 for PL and PD only on my 09 Voyager with Intact. I figure if I get in an accident at 63 I'm toast anyway. I have my house and truck with them also, I pay CAN$941 for my truck with full coverage and CAN$450 for the house.
If I remember right it was almost a grand for full coverage for my bike a couple of years ago plus I had to pay 100 bucks to get it appraised if I want it.
Sheesh....didn't even offer to kiss me but I sure was getting screwed.................Mike

Old 08-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:46 PM   #8

Welcome Aboard! I'm with Riders Plus and pay just over $900.00 a year. Insurance in Ontario is robbery most times.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 AM   #9

Welcome from New Hampshire.

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #10

Thank you all for the welcomes and Insurance responses. Two posts in particular resonate with me, Mike from Nova Scotia and ringadingh from Newmarket. I'm in Toronto, Scarborough actually. I pay similar numbers for the house and truck to Mike in Nova Scotia and more for my Motorcycle than ringadingh, Does that not seem screwed up? I'm paying $ 1,200 for liability only on a Motorcycle and when I read the policy they actually covers next to nothing, with $ 1,000 deductible. I'll say it's screwed up, it's fkin robbery. I'm with Riders Plus as well, they don't seem helpful nor concerned.
In any event I appreciate the replies keep them coming I have lots of time to call around and get quotes, which is what I'll do. Thanks for reading my rant..
Glenn

Old 08-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm paying $ 1,200 for liability only
Holt $hit, that's what I'm paying $214 for and i thought I was was getting ripped....damn............Mike

Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
Top Contributor

$1200 for liability only ! You need to make some phone calls.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #13

Welcome aboard from down in Georgia, and I can't help on the insurance, hope you can make some calls and find something a LOT better.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #14

Does your Insurer offer a discount for completion of MSF or Riders Edge safety? I know, I know, you said ..."I have been riding 20 years......". BUT, I have never had a student tell me or review the course and admit that they had not taken away at least one tip or refresher that they thought was valuable. That ONE tip, or reinforcement may save a Life one day.

Apparently the Insurance Industry feels that way as well. If they don't offer the discount it is time to change to one that does.

I rode for 20 years BEFORE taking the course. That $175 cost (1998) has saved me many many times that amount in insurance coverage costs in 20 years since.

SAFETY ON TWO WHEELS IS NO ACCIDENT

Old 09-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
Does your Insurer offer a discount for completion of MSF or Riders Edge safety? I know, I know, you said ..."I have been riding 20 years......". BUT, I have never had a student tell me or review the course and admit that they had not taken away at least one tip or refresher that they thought was valuable. That ONE tip, or reinforcement may save a Life one day.

Apparently the Insurance Industry feels that way as well. If they don't offer the discount it is time to change to one that does.

I rode for 20 years BEFORE taking the course. That $175 cost (1998) has saved me many many times that amount in insurance coverage costs in 20 years since.

SAFETY ON TWO WHEELS IS NO ACCIDENT
You make excellent points. Thank you. For what it's worth it's 38 years licensed motorcycle driver. 45 riding (I started with a Briggs and Stratton pull start 3.5 hp minibike when I was 10) Probably put more hours on it than any bike since.. I digress.
I agree any motorcycle riding course will sharpen my focus and possibly make me a better rider, have looked into it, there's no such course here in Canada though there are similar courses available and/or spending a weekend in NY state isn't too much of a stretch for me so that wipes out that excuse. Of course there is the fact that no insurer or potential insurer has asked if I'd attended such a course so I don't foresee any discount, and even if there were, 5 or 10% isn't exactly going to make the difference for me I'm thinking my insurance should be less than 1/2 what I'm paying. It's going to take quite a while to shave off the $ 600+ price of the safe rider course, then as well there's the 20+ years I have ticket and claims free, not even a parking ticket in 10+years. I could certainly be a better rider/driver but as I stand I'm no statistical liability either as an insured or as a riding partner. I am interested in attending a rider training course, but it's not the root of my question and my reasoning shouldn't really be to save money on insurance.
A more straight forward way of asking would be how much do you pay for insurance Don? If it's less than I pay who's your provider?

Anyhoo Thanks again
Glenn

Last edited by Onlydad; 09-01-2018 at 10:55 PM.