Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Think for your peace of mind you should buy a brand new 2018 Voyageur or Vaquero and that way you will be completely happy as regular maintenance will be yours from day one.Seems to me you won't be happy purchasing a used bike. Just my two cents.
I've bought 17 used bikes and have been happy with them all because I asked a lot of questions before I bought. I don't see why a used Voyager won't work for me as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #17

Could always check here
https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/SafetyRecall

Mine shows still needing to be done, it was done, dealer never updated my file.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 04-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #18

Thanks Hillhouse for the info. I am going to check my 2015 Vaquero as well.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
Could always check here
https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/SafetyRecall

Mine shows still needing to be done, it was done, dealer never updated my file.
Thanks Hillhouse. I found that link the other day but didn't know that in addition to showing all recalls for a particular model, you can see if the recall work was performed - as long as the dealer does their part and updates the file. According to Kawasaki customer service, the ignition wire issue is the only recall for Voyagers and Vaqueros.

Last edited by Toku57; 04-04-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
Thanks Hillhouse. I found that link the other day but didn't know that in addition to showing all recalls for a particular model, you can see if the recall work was performed - as long as the dealer does their part and updates the file. According to Kawasaki customer service, the ignition wire issue is the only recall for Voyagers and Vaqueros.
On the first page I was the first to respond and I said to go to Kawi’s website and punch in the vin to see if the recall was done already.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 04-04-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
On the first page I was the first to respond and I said to go to Kawi’s website and punch in the vin to see if the recall was done already.
Indeed you did. But I got what you said confused with what a Kawi customer rep said when I called (I was curious if any other recalls existed). The rep told me that the site was just to see if any recalls existed for a particular model, but to call them with a VIN to see if the recall work had been done.

Now that you and Hillhouse straightened me out, I'm good.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #22

I had guessed your expertise level, pertaining to KAWI bikes, two weeks ago when you asked "what is a BAK and how does it work..." and your question about K-ACT.

This matter has blown way out of proportion for a recall estimated to cover fewer than 100 machines, dating back to 2009. The notice that I found on this forum and another announcement on another forum did not even contain the complete recall notice.

August of 2015
NHTSA Recall #: 15V550
Kawasaki Recall #: MC15-10

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...5V550-6263.PDF

Also note, you WILL NOT find any mention of the same recall that applied to the Voyager models back to 2009 in this forum. So much for Internet forums being the "be all, end all" source of accurate and up-to-date information. They are NOT.

I wouldn't even begin to properly assess a motorcycle that I intended to purchase unless the tank were propped up, seat is off, and wheels are off the ground. But, I am an experienced mechanic/and fleet owner with nearly 50 years experience on everything from 3.5hp Tecumseh to 850hp CAT and 45 years of motorcycle ownership experience. That's 20plus bikes bought and sold, plus two I built myself, and the three in the stable now.

Take the privately owned bike to a KAWI dealer with a factory certified mechanic and pay 50 bucks to have the thing put on a lift and inspected properly. Anybody who thinks they can assess a used motorcycle in the driveway or garage of a private seller is just plumb crazy anyway. While it is on the lift ask the service writer to run all recalls and their status.

If the bike is at an authorized dealer for KAWI he should still be able to access dollars set aside to perform the warranty service and he will have an opportunity to inspect the insides of the bike while the tank is up and the seat is off. You may expect to wait parts for the warranty repair IF chafing is observed, but you will be in line behind full hourly rate paying customers anyway. Warranty repair rates and parts do NOT pay the dealer full margin so they often go to the back of the line, especially in the Spring.

Neither NHTSA nor KAWI acknowledged that there had been any mishaps (accidents, injury, or deaths) as a result of the potential chafing and potential for loss of power or that info would have been included in the Recall Notice. NOTE: KHI made this a voluntary recall, after inspecting ONE bike returned from the USA to Japan, and notified NHTSA of their determination to do so. NOT the other way around.

You probably run a greater risk of being maimed by a TAKATA air bag that was recalled and owner of said car was never notified or parts are now back ordered from a bankrupt manufacturer. Do you crawl under the dash of every car that you ride in to identify whether the air bag is bad? There are likely 80 million of those on the road in the US.

PS: If you haven't already practiced what to do in the event of a complete loss of power on the road while riding a motorcycle then you probably shouldn't be on the thing in the first place. 17 bikes in your history or not. MSF Instructor for ten plus years, speaking from the training book and my own experience.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
...This matter has blown way out of proportion for a recall estimated to cover fewer than 100 machines, dating back to 2009August of 2015
NHTSA Recall #: 15V550
Kawasaki Recall #: MC15-10

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...5V550-6263.PDF
Where do you get the "recall estimated to cover fewer than 100 machines" figure? In the report you linked to it says "Population: Number of potentially involved: 11,836. Estimated percentage with defect: 100".