Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Question GTR GEN3 ultra series led headlight bulbs H4/9003

Have a question for the members after watching the you tube video on stock replacement LED bulbs with driver. The bulbs are pricey, have a lifetime warranty and say that they fit the reflector in a way comparable to the original halogen. They are mentioning that the light it produces is very close to the complete headlight replacement light. Not sure if it is true or not that's why I am asking if anyone has actually tried on and what was their opinion on it. Seems to be a lot of work to change the whole headlight lamp assembly if this bulbs would do the same job. Thanks in advance for any opinions

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

240 $ for a pair of LED bulbs ????

WTF ! ! ! Is it just me who thinks holy crap ?

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

I put one of these in mine a couple years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I just had to rig up a way to hold the bulb in (and you would have to do it with the bulb your asking about too).
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb-_p_83.html

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
240 $ for a pair of LED bulbs ????

WTF ! ! ! Is it just me who thinks holy crap ?

Cu,
Sven
It's not just you I thought Holy Crap too.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #5

I went with this one, and I'm very satisfied
http://www.xenondepot.com/H4-Xtreme-...-h4-pro-mc.htm

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
I put one of these in mine a couple years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I just had to rig up a way to hold the bulb in (and you would have to do it with the bulb your asking about too).
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ulb-_p_83.html
This should be a direct replacement bulb, why did you have to rig anything up to hold it in?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
This should be a direct replacement bulb, why did you have to rig anything up to hold it in?
Because most of the LED aftermarket bulbs have heat-sinks or fans on the back that get in the way of the wire clip that holds it in.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #8

Thanks to all that replied. I realize that $ 240.00 pair is pricey but since it is $ 120.00 for one I could live with that considering it is lifetime warranty. Reason I was asking if anyone had used it I figger that with $399.00 Canadian for the JW Speaker 8700 led headlight, plus another say $ 125.00 Canadian for the black cover and frame with adjustment screws for a total of $ 525.00 Canadian if this GTR GEN 3 is all it is cracked up to be maybe it is worth a shot. The manufacturer claims it fits into the diffuser like a halogen does. Just kicking around ideas and looking for opinions such as Atom and Vulcan E's experience with the replacement bulbs. Would like to from others and their experiences. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #9

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

You can look up your bike or car on this website and it will tell you what LED bulbs will fit your car or bike.

I have bought the bulb listed on this site a H4 LED and it is a fanless conversion with compact heat sink and it is a Cree 7200k Cool White. It has 12 LED's and 2000 Lumen Bulb.

I hope this bulb will be ok in my standard Nomad housing. I was running before my accident a HID system it worked well for many years but all busted up in the accident.

I am hoping this bulb will do well and it fits in the standard lens with no problems and no modifications. Best I could come up with have to see in May how well it works.

Last edited by buckey1313; 03-16-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Thanks to all that replied. I realize that $ 240.00 pair is pricey but since it is $ 120.00 for one I could live with that considering it is lifetime warranty.

You should checkout their warranty declaration on their homepage !

Yes, liftime warranty, but when it fails, the lifetime ended, so no replacement.

Even for 120 $ you could get a minimum auf two other differant brand LED bulbs, so . . .

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Thanks for the input Demolition Man. This is why I am a member on the Forum. Good to hear other opinions. What are you running for a headlight? Stock or otherwise. To Bucklely1313 I will be following your input on your superbright LED headlight bulb as I purchased their running lite replacement bulbs a month ago. Of course with all the snow on the ground haven't been able to get to my bike yet.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #12

Ballbreaker once bike is put all back together I will go through everything I have done to the bike and how I like it and that will be my opinion only.

The bike is being gone through completely by time I first start it. All rad hoses will be changed and steering head bearings and even thermostat also. I should have by time I am done a bike that is better than before the accident allot better.

I will report on every aspect of the bike I have touched and any new additions I have made and there are many for sure. Not much has been spared or not touched by time I put it on show on here.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
It is a direct replacement, it fits right into the bucket, but like Paul stated, the fan motor is in the way of the retaining clip. I did use a zip tie to hold it in, and I'm planning on machining me up a collar that will replace the clip, whenever work lets up enough for me to get in a little "government" work.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

To Vulcan E. Was looking at the led bulb that you installed. How did you install and were you able to use the spring. To Atom were there any install problems with your install as well. Thanks in advance Thanks for the info Vulcan E. Didn't realized you had replied already.

Last edited by ballbreaker; 03-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #15

The install was smooth, true plug-n-play. There isn't a fan motor, just some fins that get spread out - so lots of room in there for that. Whole process took maybe 5 minutes.

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*