Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #16

Update

Well, I took it back to the shop and had them work on it. They called me back and said it was done. When I got there they told me that they had to add an additional 2.5oz of weights on the rear tire (weights on rim) and .5oz on the front tire to get them properly balanced. The ride is better but the back tire still starts to wobble and get squirrelly at higher speed (at around 70 and up). I still need it to be looked at but quite frankly I have lost confidence in the shop I was taking it to. I am going to get it up on a lift and check myself to see if the tire is out of round. I have to get this figured out. I go on a trip in 2 weeks and I can't put the old lady on the back with it riding like this. I know it is a shaft driven motorcycle so you are not supposed to be able to put the tire on wrong. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,
Original Thunder monster baffles in header

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #17

I would certainly be looking for a second opinion - and a second shop. Mixing balancing beads and fixed weights does not sound like a good plan to me. If it needs that much weight, I would question the quality of the tire or if properly mounted. And I wouldn't ride it until I was satisfied. Catastrophic tire failure on a bike is nothing to mess around with!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Well, I took it back to the shop and had them work on it. They called me back and said it was done. When I got there they told me that they had to add an additional 2.5oz of weights on the rear tire (weights on rim) and .5oz on the front tire to get them properly balanced. The ride is better but the back tire still starts to wobble and get squirrelly at higher speed (at around 70 and up). I still need it to be looked at but quite frankly I have lost confidence in the shop I was taking it to. I am going to get it up on a lift and check myself to see if the tire is out of round. I have to get this figured out. I go on a trip in 2 weeks and I can't put the old lady on the back with it riding like this. I know it is a shaft driven motorcycle so you are not supposed to be able to put the tire on wrong. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks,
Right off the top of my head I don't remember the numbers, but there is a limit of how much weight can be legally added to a tire for balance. Those beads in the tire should have taken care of balancing the tire. If they added external weights, there is a problem. AND they are trying to cover the problem up.

If they didn't open the bags of beads and they haven't opened when they added the weights, what is going to happen when the bags do open with the added weights?

I had a new Commander II separate causing the front tire to run out. Started a tank slapper I almost didn't recover from. Hurt my hands trying to get a hold of the grips to stop it.

I have heard of more than one of these tires having a separation issue. Michelin replaced the tire for me, but it was a time consuming problem.

Don't let them BS you, I think your instinct is on the mark.

Get the wheels off the ground and spin them. If there is ANY runout, the tire needs to be inspected by a Different party so there is no conflict of interest.

They should run straight and true.

Don't mess around with the safety of this. By the time you figure out it is going from bad to worse, you could find yourself wadded up in the ditch or under somebody's vehicle.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #19

The shop threw the bag of beads in the tire with out opening the bag, which is the lazy ass way of doing it in my opinion. If you could do it that way why would dyna beads give you a tube to put them in with?
They should never put rim weights on with beads in the tires period!
Take it to a different shop, tell them what is happing and what the other shop said and did.
I got an out of round Avon Cobra a couple years ago, put on a different tire and problem was solved.
Well the shake was solved, I was still out the price of the out of round tire.
Just didn't feel like dickin around with the Avon company.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #20
Advanced Member

We ALWAYS open the beads and dump them in, I'm thinking if you don't the bag will just stick to the outside of the tire from centrifugal force and never open. Its not like there is anything to snag it on.

Have them pull the weights from the rim, dismount the tire and grab the beads, open the bag, dump them in and air it up. Lazy bastards.

Login or Register to Remove Ads