Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Is there a KAMS kit for Nomad

I read a lot about the heat issues and KAMS for Voyager. While I don't really have a problem with heat on my 2013 Nomad 1700, I wonder if there is such a product for the Nomad. Does anyone know?
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

No they don't make one for the Nomad that I know of.
They don't need it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks. I was just wondering. I also wonder what the difference is between the two bikes with the same engine. Whatever that is, must be causing the heat experienced by Voyagers.
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

Just look at photo of the voyager.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The fairing and leg lowers on the Voyager add to the amount of heat the Voyager cannot dissipate as easily as the Nomad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

I found saddle heat shields, JR'S I think. The look great, we ere easy to put on. They eliminate the heat issue to negligible, except for the worst condition idling in 90+ traffic. Best of all, they really quieted down wind, road, engine & tranny noise considerably. 135 bucks worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #7

My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
The fairing and leg lowers on the Voyager add to the amount of heat the Voyager cannot dissipate as easily as the Nomad.
I had the honor of installing a KAMS unit on my 2009 Gold Voyager. (Mechanical Skill level Advanced) (But the directions were great)

My understanding - the heat issue on the original Non-KAMS Voyagers is that the design of the Fairings / Lower pods / Cooling Fan directed the airflow across the cooling fins and header pipes of the 1700 engine and dumped it right on the drivers legs. Every time the fan would kick on ambient air would be blown across the engine fins to cool the engine down - this worked, but it literally turned the Voyager into a convection oven with the drivers legs the recipient of all the hot air.

Kawasaki's original attempt to fix it was a little piece of angle iron used as a deflector above the top front of the engine along with a new front header heat shield with that changed the air flow around the headers. (worked with minimal change of heat)

Now the KAMS - The KAMS works in 2 parts - the front part is the re-flow of air in the front of the bike so it does not blow across the cooling fins and onto the driver. First they replace the lower Radiator support to move the Radiator out about 1 inch - this allows room for a shroud that goes most way around the fan. This shroud forces the air from the fan (or through the radiator) to be pushed down and out under the bike. A new redesigned radiator and hoses is part of the KAMS kit.

Also in the front are 2 high temp plastic thingies that push into the cooling fins of the engine that keep the air from going across the engine. Oh and you also remove the original deflector and revised heat shield on the front header.

Part 2 - The rear fan - Sitting in traffic when the bike is hot and the convection oven is in full operation along with heat just plain rising - the rear header pipe gets real hot. To help relieve this the KAMS installs a giant hair dryer that sucks the hot air from the area of the rear header. The fan moves the air across the bike and through ducting dumps the air out on the Left side of the bike under the passenger foot rest. The KAMS added electrical components are wired so the rear KAMS fan turns on at the same time as the front fan.

Upside to the KAMS - It is cooler to ride.
Downside to KAMS - The overall bike runs hotter (on the temp gauge) but the fan just cycles more often to keep it cooler. (Note with the Ivan reflash the fan comes on sooner as an attempt to dissipate heat sooner.)

When I first put the KAMS unit on my 2009, I talked quite a bit with my dealer (who has a Vaquero) on why they didn't adapt it to the Vaquero. Our opinion was that how they had to move the Radiator ahead to allow the fan shroud to be installed would require a new lower fairing (chin fairing?) on the Vaquero. Although - I wonder why no one has attempted to install the rear fan unit from the KAMS on a Vaquero? Hmmmm.

There - probably more than you ever wanted to know about the KAMS unit.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
Thanks. I was just wondering. I also wonder what the difference is between the two bikes with the same engine. Whatever that is, must be causing the heat experienced by Voyagers.
The engines are just as hot. The naked Nomad dissipates the heat quicker. It is all about rider comfort, not engine temperature. In fact, with KAMS the engine tends to run a little hotter but the rider is more comfortable.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Mike07nad, I would have loved to buy the rear fan only for my '10 Voyager, but could not find it for sale separate from the KAMS.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 AM   #10

Why Not Install the Whole KAMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Mike07nad, I would have loved to buy the rear fan only for my '10 Voyager, but could not find it for sale separate from the KAMS.
Just out of curiosity - Why not install the Whole KAMS - it does make a difference if the Heat bothers you.

It is a little bit of a "Wrenching" challenge but if you take your time and follow the instructions it's a fun project. The wife and I worked on it over 2 days.

On the bright side - you would never be squeamish about changing your coolant again.