Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Ivans Reflsh / Issues

so it warmed up enough outside to get the re-flashed ECU back on the bike, as per the instructions, turned the ignition on, got the error code, waited 5 seconds, turned ignition off,disconnected negative batter pole, waited 5 seconds, reconnected the negative battery pole, started her up all is good, engine sounds great, but the radio is not working , the screen keeps flickering when the bike is started and I cant scroll through to different stations etc. The other thing I noticed was the estimated fuel range is no longer displayed which it should as I have a full tank of gas, so I should see something. Everything else works, turn signals, hi/low beams etc. So my question anyone else experience any difficulties after the flash???? I really hope the ECU doesn't have to go back for another flash, it get expensive sending this thing back to the US, more so on its way back! This is disappointing , im hoping its an easy fix on my end. Any thoughts suggestions.

And before anyone asks, yes the radio worked fine prior to the ECU flash. The radio works fine when the key is turned to AUX only, when turned to start/run and the bike is running, its a no-go

Going to Call Ivan tomorrow for sure.

Ron

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MPSS; 01-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

I would contact Ivan.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

I reinstalled the ECU yesterday and have not noticed any problems. I know the radio works as I listened while I rode yesterday. Hope it is an easy fix for you !

Old 01-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

The estimated fuel range will have reset when you disconnected the battery. It will re-calculate when you put a few miles on it.

The radio problem sounds to me like a loose wire. You could check fuses and connections under the seat in case you dislodged something while you were in there? Poor earth connection maybe?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

I agree probably has nothing to do with the Ivan Mod as Peg says. I believe the ECU has nothing to do with other electronics such as signals or lights or anything else electrical but the engine

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

My radio screen will flicker/scroll on/off when I have been running it while working on the bike with the radio on and engine off, due to the battery voltage getting low.

Therefore, be sure your battery is fully charged, if so, I would agree that you need to check all the connections you disturbed while changing out the ECU and re-tighten all ground connections in that area. And I suspect the fuel range will return once you ride a little.

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSS View Post
so it warmed up enough outside to get the re-flashed ECU back on the bike, as per the instructions, turned the ignition on, got the error code, waited 5 seconds, turned ignition off,disconnected negative batter pole, waited 5 seconds, reconnected the negative battery pole, started her up all is good, engine sounds great, but the radio is not working , the screen keeps flickering when the bike is started and I cant scroll through to different stations etc. The other thing I noticed was the estimated fuel range is no longer displayed which it should as I have a full tank of gas, so I should see something. Everything else works, turn signals, hi/low beams etc. So my question anyone else experience any difficulties after the flash???? I really hope the ECU doesn't have to go back for another flash, it get expensive sending this thing back to the US, more so on its way back! This is disappointing , im hoping its an easy fix on my end. Any thoughts suggestions.

And before anyone asks, yes the radio worked fine prior to the ECU flash. The radio works fine when the key is turned to AUX only, when turned to start/run and the bike is running, its a no-go

Going to Call Ivan tomorrow for sure.

Ron
Just spoke with Ivan, one has nothing to do with the other and as already mentioned by other members, Ivan said it sounds like a bad ground, loose wire or a bad fuse; I guess I know what I'll be doing later on today

Old 01-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
The estimated fuel range will have reset when you disconnected the battery. It will re-calculate when you put a few miles on it.
Correct. You have to run a few miles so the computer can recalculate the estimated fuel range according to your driving.

As others said, flickering could be bad ground, loose wire, a bad fuse or a bad battery/alternator.

Which temps did you have as you reinstalled the batt ? Was it fully charged ? In cold temps, batts loose a lot of their charge.

Also, the LCD display of the radio don't like cold temps, so . . .

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Correct. You have to run a few miles so the computer can recalculate the estimated fuel range according to your driving.

As others said, flickering could be bad ground, loose wire, a bad fuse or a bad battery/alternator.

Which temps did you have as you reinstalled the batt ? Was it fully charged ? In cold temps, batts loose a lot of their charge.

Also, the LCD display of the radio don't like cold temps, so . . .

Cu,
Sven
Sven,

The bike is kept in a heated garage (8-10 degrees Celsius) and the battery is always hooked up to a battery tender during the winter months.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #10

well still no luck with the radio, it turns on and works when the key is set to aux/accessory, it works when the key is turned to run without the bike starting, once the bike is started it seems as if its turning off then turns back on for no apparent reason. I checked the fuse even replaced it with the spare, checked all wires where the ecu is located and moved them around when the bike was not running and running, there are no loose wires causing the radio to turn on and off???? for the guys who replaced their radios, how do you get access to the unit so I can check connections. Anyone have any ideas what to check next??

Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #11

Sorry you are having an issue. I would have said the same as a few others mentioned about the battery not being fully charged. But sounds like that isn't it either. Wish I had something better to say. Makes me wonder if it isn't in the ignition switch itself; I'd check that next and do a recheck on all the connections. Especially the battery connections. I replaced my battery once and accidentally ended up with a price sticker from a soda can under the connecting wire. Talk about taking a while to figure out. LOL Now I make sure ALL the connections are clean and tight.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 01-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

Since the radio works when the bike isn't running, I'm thinking that there's a loose connection somewhere that's being made obvious by the engines vibration. I'd check the voltage at the fuse, both with the bike running and not. To get to the back of the radio you need to remove the outer fairing, not a big deal to do, but if you've never done it you might want to have some help.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanie View Post
To get to the back of the radio you need to remove the outer fairing, not a big deal to do, but if you've never done it you might want to have some help.
Removing of the headlight is enough. Perhaps a bit tight, but if your hand are not as big as a cooking pan, it should be okay.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Removing of the headlight is enough. Perhaps a bit tight, but if your hand are not as big as a cooking pan, it should be okay.

Cu,
Sven

Or sausage link fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Advanced Member

If you never have, slit the fairing and check everything in there including fasteners. I had to torque a few when I wenter in there at 30,000 miles / 3 years.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad