Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #16

Wow! I had no idea that fork oil weight values were so worthless. Well, I always used Motul Maxima, so at least I was comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the link!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Sabre-t; 09-11-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Listed wrong oil

Old 09-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #17

WOW, I had no idea choosing fork oil was this in depth. So how do we determine what type and "weight" of oil was used in our forks? I read through that link and most of it made sense however using the chart at the bottom, I'm not sure what I'm actually reading.

I'd love to have a bit better dampening on my front suspension. It's decent but a bit soft for my tastes, how do I know what oil I have and what oil then I need to get?

Here's my biggest question as of right now, how do you drain the oil from the forks? Do you have to remove them to do so?

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Old 09-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
WOW, I had no idea choosing fork oil was this in depth. So how do we determine what type and "weight" of oil was used in our forks? I read through that link and most of it made sense however using the chart at the bottom, I'm not sure what I'm actually reading.

I'd love to have a bit better dampening on my front suspension. It's decent but a bit soft for my tastes, how do I know what oil I have and what oil then I need to get?

Here's my biggest question as of right now, how do you drain the oil from the forks? Do you have to remove them to do so?
Showa SS-8 (10 wt) is what is recommended in the service manual, so I would think that is what is in it. It's a little over half way down the table and the end of the article.

The best way to drain the forks is to take them off and pour the oil out, pumping the fork several times to get the sludge out of the bottom. I always put a little clean oil in, pump it a few times, then pour out with pumping to get as much of that sludge out as possible. Fork oil becomes acidic with age and use and that sludge contains a lot of those acids. Be sure to check the seals and replace them if they look worn.

Look up how to do it on youtube (it doesn't have to be Kawi specific) and search for threads here that describe how to measure when filling.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Advanced Member

I switched to 15W oil in my Vaquero front forks and it seems as if it stabilized the ride better with less bouncing back and forth on bumpy roads....the bike seems to be a bit more leveled in those situations with about 30 lbs. of air in the rear shocks.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Tags
fork oil, fork springs, forks, maintenance