Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Look at the top of the housing for the throttle grip. There are two phillips head screws in kind of a square plate. There is one more on the front of the housing just below level with the brake lever. Put a blanket on the fuel tank to protect it so you don't chip the paint. Trust me I know. Look at the throttle cables coming out the bottom of the throttle housing, there are two, and they are chrome. They have a small black rubber sleeves on the chrome hex area by the black plastic, that can be pushed back. Push them back and use a wrench to back the jam nuts off. Screw the adjusters for the cable in to create some slack in the cables.

Take the three screws out and the housing, it will come apart in two pieces. The lower half may want to fall off the handle bar. If you are not sure of getting the cables back in the same location, mark them. Pull the cables out and slip the tube off the handle bar.

If you are going to use black electrical tape, pull it tight but don't overlap it unless you are going all the way around. You want it round like the handlebar.

I used black electrical tape because it offered the best thickness for filling the gap that my skoot had. I can't believe all these skoots would have the same clearance in the grip tube. Depending what the gap is you may need to use something different. I put a little ATF fluid on the tape prior to reassembly, as it was kinda sticky. After a short time the stickiness went away.

When you go back together use RacnRays method to adjust the cables.

You can find his adjustment instruction by doing a search with his name on the form.
Ok so when you talk about the clearance between the grip and handlebars are you describing the feeling if you grab the outside edge of the grip and rattle up and down? If I grab my grip at the very end (chrome edge) and shake my hand up and down it moves a lot. It moves such much so I can hear it rattle within the grip, I'm guessing that's not normal and that's what you fixed with electrical tape?

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #32
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
Ok so when you talk about the clearance between the grip and handlebars are you describing the feeling if you grab the outside edge of the grip and rattle up and down? If I grab my grip at the very end (chrome edge) and shake my hand up and down it moves a lot. It moves such much so I can hear it rattle within the grip, I'm guessing that's not normal and that's what you fixed with electrical tape?
Yes that is what I am referring to.

Put your hand up close to the switch housing and try to move it. Bet it will move up and down.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Yes that is what I am referring to.

Put your hand up close to the switch housing and try to move it. Bet it will move up and down.
It does but it moves much more out at the very end. So what you're saying to do in the most generic of terms is to remove the drip and wrap electrical tape around the throttle tube to remove as much of the play as possible?

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #34

Greetings all,

I did some stuff on my bike today and noticed it's not as jerky.

#1 - Changed the Oil/Filter - put in 4.4 Qt of Rotella T6 5/40 just like I always use. About 4200 since last oil change. I will note that when I dumped the old oil back into the Gallon Jug - it all fit - I don't know exactly how much extra space is in a 1 gal jug of oil. Maybe it was a little low after 4200 miles. Who knows?

#2 - I bumped the Idle to +100 on the display. Tach reads maybe 1/2 a smidge under 1000. When I had my Bully / EJK I had the idle at +100, But I had dropped it to +50 after I removed the Bully.

The possibilities that helped the jerkies.
#1 - my Oil level was low
#2 - Maybe the Idle RPM's were too low and it sent the engine into a near stall upon deceleration thus the jerkies when you applied throttle.

There is a third option - I'm just getting used to it. Anyway, it's smoother today - let's hope it stays that way.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #35

I cleaned the throttle body again and it helped a lot. Rode 600 miles and definitely much smoother.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #36
Advanced Member

Quote:
It does but it moves much more out at the very end. So what you're saying to do in the most generic of terms is to remove the drip and wrap electrical tape around the throttle tube to remove as much of the play as possible?
That is correct.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:00 AM   #37

Quote:
That is correct.
Thanks. Should the grip have any "slop" on the throttle tube? Not talking about throttle play, I'm talking about the kind of play when you jiggle the grip up and down?

Next, why does it jiggle so much?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #38
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Should the grip have any "slop" on the throttle tube? Not talking about throttle play, I'm talking about the kind of play when you jiggle the grip up and down?

Next, why does it jiggle so much?
I put the tape on so there was no slop at all. It was a little sticky at first, but that went away'

When something is mass produced there is what is called manufacturing tolerances. As an example; say an engineer designed a part to be made 6" in diameter. And 50,000 pieces a year are going to be made. This part is going to be assembled with another part. The manufacturing tolerance is going to be + or - 1/8".

That is going to be real easy to make and can be done quick and dirty because of the loose tolerance. As the tolerances get tighter the more the possibility of parts not fitting and working together, and the more it costs to produce. Like an engine.

So if they fit a little loose and the product works reasonable well, they will "sell" it.

Sometimes it takes awhile for people to catch on. The hard part is holding manufacturings feet to the fire, to get them to do better.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 09-13-2016 at 05:02 PM.