Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #16
Advanced Member

I wonder how many others are experiencing pining that don't have BAK's? 3 instances could be attributed to other variables such as bad fuel or temp as you mentioned. I am wondering how many more have constant pinging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
I had the reflash about 3000 miles ago, and my1700 Nomad is otherwise stock except for Ray's throttle mod. I've had thee instances of pinging while accelerating hard in 5th. Two occurred with 93 octane.

I'm still very happy I did the flash, as the bike runs better in many ways. However, it is not perfect. I'm keeping my eye on this. Could be I need a bit more fuel when accelerating really hard when hot.

I will say that the flash generated a LARGE increase in power, even with stock air and pipes. LARGE.

The bike is a little herky jerky after the flash with the throttle mod. I find I need to be very smooth on the throttle (both accelalerating and decelerating) to avoid jerks. If I had to do it again, I might skip the throttle mod given the reflash.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
I must ask if in any gear? Do you have BAK?
Yes, you can see all my mods in my signature. I have the Chuckster BAK

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #18

[QUOTE=VulcanD;667118The bike is a little herky jerky after the flash with the throttle mod. I find I need to be very smooth on the throttle (both accelalerating and decelerating) to avoid jerks. If I had to do it again, I might skip the throttle mod given the reflash.[/QUOTE]

I find the same issue, especially at low speeds....like parking lots. Not bad just something that you need to get used to.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
Thanks all. I am not sure if I put premium in this last fill up or not. I'll top it off with premium and see if that helps.

I certainly get needing to downshift from higher gears but at over 70mph it never used to have any "extra" noise. Here's to hoping it's just a fuel issue.

Next question...

This really only pertains to those with Ivan's ECU flash and ALSO Ray' throttle mod...

When idling and you give a quick short twist of the throttle, do you have any lag in motor response? It's my understanding that these two things together were to really reduce that issue if not eliminate it all together. Mine still has a slight hesitation.

I'm running the stock air filter and have the V&H slash cuts.
One thing I would check is the throttle cable adjustment. If the cables are loose that can cause one problem. The other question is how loose is the throttle grip on the handlebar itself? The reason I ask this is my grip was like a sock on a rooster and each time I hit a small bump it would move up or down pulling on the cables that had been adjusted so there was no slack in them, causing a change in fuel delivery.

I removed the grip and used my mics to measure the outside diameter of the handlebar and the inside diameter of the grip.

I found there was .030" clearance which is a lot considering it is attached to the computer so to speak. It sees this movement as input and adjusts the throttle plates accordingly.

To correct this I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the handle bar and made two layers spaced apart so there was not a lot of surface area and this took care of the movement.

A NOTE ON SAFETY: this was a little sticky at first and I put a few drops of ATF fluid to lubricate the joint. I never had a problem.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 08-05-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKurt View Post
I find the same issue, especially at low speeds....like parking lots. Not bad just something that you need to get used to.
Mine was the same way so I took the mod off. It's just a metal band and 3 screw. Now it's smooth as silk

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #21
Advanced Member

I have the flash, Roaring Toyz bak now and 2-1 exhaust. I run mostly ethanol free premium in mine but last week, out in the boonies had to put some 87 in the tank. It mad no difference in the running with the bike. I can be on the road in 6th at 2,000 rpm, open 'er up and she pulls like a bear with no glitches, no shaking, nothing just hard pulling acceleration clean and strong, no issues. We pay more at the pump, but we do get great gas out here in Oregon wherever it comes from.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #22

I removed my comment....I have no skin in the game anyway since I leave my motorcycles stock.
I just find it amusing to read that people do mod this and mod that on their bikes, then get on forums and ask why their motorcycle don't run properly.
You'all enjoy!!

Last edited by philippe721; 08-10-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippe721 View Post
No they do not.

They say to use Octane rating 90
In the U.S. the ratings are as follow:
87 Regular
89 Mid-grade or Plus
92 Premium
Therefore mid-grade is perfectly acceptable IMO
Mid grade may be acceptable to you, but you are giving the wrong information out. If the minimum octane rating Kawasaki says to use is 90 then you should use premium and not down grade to 89. Premium fuel in the U.S. has a octane rating of 91-93 just to be clear about your information. Best not to give the wrong information out and confuse people with opinion not fact.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #24

No time for debate here ....too busy riding!!

Last edited by philippe721; 08-10-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #25

By your own statement philippe, your statement was wrong. If mid is 89 and Kawasaki recommends a minimum of 90, then 89 mid grade would not meet the minimum requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
||VBA #03091||

Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippe721 View Post
Yes I can see by your comment that you would be an easily confused individual and quite forceful in your "opinion" as well.
Confused?? Not by a long shot. But I don't give miss information out either. This place is here to help one another. Yes some may be a little confused by you "opinion " which is still wrong. My statement may be a little forceful to those with thin skin, but I didn't hear you I was wrong. At least if you're going to give information out you should know what you are saying. I'm done this just isn't worth anymore time.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #27
Top Contributor

When I had my Voyager 1700 I had a Cobra Powrpro and Chucksters BAK and ran 87 octane and I never had any pinging.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Redjay that may be because you had the ecu on stock settings, where the ignition timing was set a little more retarded at lower rpm's then as the motor spins up the timing becomes more advanced. The Ivan flash resets the ignition timing to a more advanced level all throughout the rev range to make more bottom end power and less backfiring thus requiring higher octane fueling. It sure is worth it though for all the performance increases. 91 and higher octane fuel should be available just about everywhere on main roads all over the country.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #29

Update:

Since the original post I haven't had any pinging that I can hear after topping off with different fuel. I think I either put lower octane fuel in or just got lesser quality fuel with the fill up just before my post. Now she will drop the hammer again, even in 6th gear, and only make the famous Kawasaki motor sounds, LOL.

I do still think there's a little throttle lag even with both mods but I may just have extremely high and unrealistic expectations of this combination.

Before I did the throttle mod it was nearly impossible to roll in and out of the throttle smoothly regardless of speed. After the mod it was better for sure. Now with the re-flash and the mod I do feel like it's a little jerky but I'm wondering if my throttle cables need adjustment after the rebuild...

I'm sure it would take a very specific and very detailed program update for the throttle in the ECU to get the nearly instantaneous feel we'd all love. What's even more is I'm sure it would very much a bike to bike basis as well. Maybe someday...

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust

Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
Update:

Since the original post I haven't had any pinging that I can hear after topping off with different fuel. I think I either put lower octane fuel in or just got lesser quality fuel with the fill up just before my post. Now she will drop the hammer again, even in 6th gear, and only make the famous Kawasaki motor sounds, LOL.

I do still think there's a little throttle lag even with both mods but I may just have extremely high and unrealistic expectations of this combination.

Before I did the throttle mod it was nearly impossible to roll in and out of the throttle smoothly regardless of speed. After the mod it was better for sure. Now with the re-flash and the mod I do feel like it's a little jerky but I'm wondering if my throttle cables need adjustment after the rebuild...

I'm sure it would take a very specific and very detailed program update for the throttle in the ECU to get the nearly instantaneous feel we'd all love. What's even more is I'm sure it would very much a bike to bike basis as well. Maybe someday...
As others have mentioned above, take the throttle mod off and you will get a smoother low speed response. I did this to my Voyager and it runs better at low speed roll ons and roll offs. Mine was very easy to do as I just had to slip it off and put back together and adjust the throttle cables.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625