Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Eight dollar Vaquero seat improvement

Explanation:
I have the Vaquero AND the Voyager. The seat on the Voyager is extremely comfortable and I have gone 600 miles on it with no problem at all. So, why did Kawasaki use a much firmer foam for the Vaquero seat? Beats me.

Now everyone has their preferences and it is okay. If you think the OEM seat is perfect, fantastic! If you think a Mustang seat is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you! I bought a mustang seat as soon as I got the Vaquero and it hurt my hips. Luckily I got it for a good price on Ebay and was able to resale it for the same price. (Phew!)

This post is for those who want to try something different and inexpensive.
I had a sore butt after 60 miles on the OEM seat and can now go 200 miles with no problem after I changed the foam.

What I did:
I went to Walmart and bought a big piece of foam for $8.00 (yes that's eight dollars...NOT 800 like a Mustang seat!!).

I removed the staples, uncovered the seat, cut the foam out, replaced it with the softer foam, recovered, re-stapled and done!

It normally would take only 30 minutes but it took me about an hour because after an initial run I decided to replace 4 more inches in the back and the front of the initial cut you see on the pics.

After-effect:
What it will do it lower you into the seat. For those with short legs that is a plus. I have a 30-inch seam and already had my feet flat on the ground.
It will also feel like the handlebar is higher, if that is a problem just loosen the four screws and adjust it to your licking.

Final thoughts:
If you hate the OEM seat but don't want to fork over big money for aftermarket seat, try this inexpensive alternative. And don't worry, if you don't like it and really want to spend 800 bucks, they make mustang seats everyday and they will be more than happy to take your money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat1.jpg (88.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Seat2.jpg (96.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Seat3.jpg (64.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Seat foam.jpg (66.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Seat tools.jpg (43.3 KB, 44 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by philippe721; 07-05-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Greetings,
Most excellent, thanks for sharing!
SO, photo 1 is the original foam with the cuts you made?
Photo 2 is the void.
Photo 3 is the new foam in the hole with plastic wrap to hold it all together? Ah, the plastic wrap was there, just pulled back in 1 & 2.

How hard was it to get the cover stretched and stapled back into place?

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Smokier,
Yes pic 1 is the cut I made, and after a short ride I realized I needed to cut 4 more inches from the top and bottom of that original cut. So basically I have 3 pieces of new foam which is easier to deal with rather than one big piece that would need to be carved to shape.

The plastic wrap is there already, you just have to pull it back.

To pull the cover back and put it back requires very little efforts.

I thought about buying an electric stapler but the one I already had on hand worked just fine. You just have to be very steady when stapling or the staple will bend.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

on many low seat height motorcycles the cushion foam is firmer due to a thinner seat and the potential for heavyweights like myself ending up on the seat frame during a long ride....ive experienced it and it is truly a very uncomfortable feeling...although the seat in question does seem to have a relatively thick cushion...

sounds like a win for you....nice job....on the zrx's we have a seat modification that removes a section of foam under the cushion the rider sits on....this allows the foam to fall in bit and make for a much more comfortable seat...its another possible option...