Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #31

very nicely put monkeyman. its all about personal preference and who gives a damn about what anybody else thinks.
Kuryakyn air charger
Harley hard bags
Tour pack
Mustang seats
Led accent lighting

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #32
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I've always liked the looks of Harleys but never liked the unreliability enough to buy one. My Nomad was very reliable and had the "basic" look I was going for but not exactly what I wanted. That's why I added the HD bags, attempted to add the HD Tour Glide fairing and ultimately added the Electra Glide fairing.

Saying that someone should have bought a Harley just because they want to add Harley bags is like saying someone should have bought a Gold Wing just because they added cruise control and a stereo.
Unreliability? Really, Chris? My Harley is as reliable as any of the metric bikes I owned in the past. I haven't had an unreliable bike in my life.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Unreliability? Really, Chris? My Harley is as reliable as any of the metric bikes I owned in the past. I haven't had an unreliable bike in my life.
Harleys have traditionally been known for being more unreliable and more high maintenance than most other bikes. Not that the newer HDs haven't improved drastically compared to the older ones. When I was researching brands before I bought my Victory, I ran across quite a few articles about some of the short comings on Harleys.

All that to say that buying a Harley in my Nomad price range would have gotten me an older Harley, one that had too many red flags for my taste. Had I been able to afford a new(er) Harley when I bought my Nomad, I may very well have bought one.

I like Harleys. I think they're one of the better looking bike out there (which is one of the reasons I kept trying to add Harley parts to my Nomad).

I'd like a Can Am Spyder for my next "bike". Those are $25k (I'm only $24.5k away!). Because my wallet isn't in line with my desires, I'm looking for something significantly cheaper. The Harleys that I would consider "more reliable" are getting closer to my wallet. Maybe I'll buy one, maybe not. Who knows? :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #34

I too have never had any reliability issues with any bike I've owned. I do all my own maintenance and always go to the factory manual if any questions arise. IMO, most reliability issues are caused by the owner trying to do work or made modifications that are "out of their pay grade". I'd venture to say that only 25% of all the guys on this and any other forum actually know what they are doing when it comes to motorcycle mechanic work. Motorcycles especially, require above average mechanical aptitude. Screw up on your car and you can probably coast to the side of the road and call a tow truck. Do that on your bike and you may not be around to call for help.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #35

Quote:
I've always liked the looks of Harleys but never liked the unreliability enough to buy one.
I would have to disagree with this also. Typically, anyone making this statement has never owned a Harley; and are simply repeating BS they believe is true.

Given the number of threads about Kawasaki's on this site, one could easily come to the conclusion Kawasaki's are pieces of junk also.

I have more I can say about that subject; but will leave it at that. If someone wants to discuss it more, they can get a hold of me.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #36
Advanced Member

Wow, this thread sure took a sharp left. Like I said earlier, if I could buy an flhx tomorrow I would, until then I am quite happy with my Nomad, and I'll dress it up however I like. Kawa, yam, H-D, victory, Suzuki... who cares... we all share one common interest... the open road!

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 05-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg78 View Post
Wow, this thread sure took a sharp left. Like I said earlier, if I could buy an flhx tomorrow I would, until then I am quite happy with my Nomad, and I'll dress it up however I like. Kawa, yam, H-D, victory, Suzuki... who cares... we all share one common interest... the open road!
Not really. Your original post asked for opinions and that is exactly what has been posted.

My only contention is when people spew nonsense without really knowing what they are talking about.

As far as others suggesting you look for a Harley if that is the look you want is because several of the original members of this site (back when it was called KawaNOW) have gone through the customization process years ago only to find their bikes' ended-up looking like an after-thought, or piece-mealed together without continuity in design and function.

Besides that, most realized they spent too much in doing so, and should have just bought the bike they wanted in the first place.

Lastly though; if riding is the only goal, then no one would give a damn how their bike looked, nor would they go through the trouble of customizing it for looks. Improvement of function would be the only customization needed, because, frankly, if you are riding, no one can see your bike very well when it is moving down the road.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #38
Advanced Member

You make some good points to consider, thanks for the advice.

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #39
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

Given the number of threads about Kawasaki's on this site, one could easily come to the conclusion Kawasaki's are pieces of junk also.
Hang on, my friend. I never said Harleys were "junk". The first problem area that comes to mind has something to do with cam chain tensioners. Something was plastic and tended to wear prematurely? I know there were other things that I've read about (mostly on Harley only forums like Road Glide Forums). If die hard Harley riders complain about a problem, it must be a problem. I'm not saying that other brands don't have issues. Don't get defensive when I talk about something you ride. As long as you enjoy what you have, it's all good.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Lastly though; if riding is the only goal, then no one would give a damn how their bike looked, nor would they go through the trouble of customizing it for looks. Improvement of function would be the only customization needed, because, frankly, if you are riding, no one can see your bike very well when it is moving down the road.
Very true. It took me a long time (and a lot of aggrevation and money) to realize that I didn't care what others thought of MY bike. I didn't add anything to my Victory for looks, only for function. I wish I'd learned that with the Nomad.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Hang on, my friend. I never said Harleys were "junk". The first problem area that comes to mind has something to do with cam chain tensioners. Something was plastic and tended to wear prematurely? I know there were other things that I've read about (mostly on Harley only forums like Road Glide Forums). If die hard Harley riders complain about a problem, it must be a problem. I'm not saying that other brands don't have issues. Don't get defensive when I talk about something you ride. As long as you enjoy what you have, it's all good.
The cam chain tensioner is not a problem; unless you do not include it in one's regular maintenance.

The biggest problem I see with Harley owners is that there is a vast number who cannot afford to own one, but buy it anyway. Some will skip meals for their kids to get one.

The lack of a budget to maintain it becomes a problem, thus a lot of them do the work them self, and skip things like checking the tensioner. Others will do modification to the engine without knowing what they are doing, only to end-up with a list of other problems.

Most often, when I see or hear of someone having a problem, it is related to the lack of proper maintenance or idiotic modifications. I will always ask what "they" did with the bike (if they have a problem), and more times than not, they have messed with it. I just laugh.

My technician can tell you all kinds of stories of what idiots do or do not do to their HD's; only to realize they, themselves, have caused the problem.

Now, having said that, nothing is without its problems. I believe we agree on that. But to simply not buy something because of what others are saying presents a problem in what to buy, because every bike I read about has its own complications.

Regarding you liking a Spyder; I can talk quite extensively about them, and can tell you, if you have read anything about them you wouldn't buy one based on the vast number of problems people have with them. I have never been stranded by my Kawasaki or Harley; but my Spyder has stranded me more times than I care to remember. But would I recommend one? Sure, but not without first making sure someone knows what they are buying; what to expect; and how to take care of it.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #42

try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg percentage-of-bikes-with-problems_large.JPG (23.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg problems-by-class_large.JPG (18.8 KB, 20 views)
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
try this.
The BMW riders are probably complaining about trivial things like,the make-up mirror wont tilt to deflect the sun,or the switches are not long enough to operate without breaking a nail.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
try this.
The article where this comes from is an interesting read. The big positive is that most of the problems were less than $200.00 to fix.

http://rideapart.com/articles/most-reliable-motorcycles

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625