Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

First Service Question

I'm fifty miles shy of my Nomad's first 600 and wondering if it's necessary to pay a dealership to do the first service. All they do as far as I know is change the oil and check the tightness of bolts and nuts on the bike. I'm always suspicious of what actually gets done any way. What would you all check besides changing oil. Do any of you know what kind of brake and clutch fluid Kawasaki sets the bike up with? The fluid barely comes up to the site windows and I know you shouldn't mix types or even brands. Saving for accessories I'd really rather not spend 150.00 to have stuff done that i can do myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Advanced Member

If you can do an oil change on your own, you just save a pile right there alone. I used to be a Honda mechanic and it is mostly doing things you can do, like swapping oil although I would go at least a thousand miles on the first oil, let moving parts mate a little more. The dealers also check tire pressure, and like mentioned maybe tighten the exhaust header bolts, most other appendages, bolts and screws, come with proper factory torque settings and will still remain tight until you loosen them for the first time. Little stuff you check and do. Level the bike up and after you dump and replace your oil and filter, pull off the reservoir caps for front brake, clutch, and rear brake reservoir and look to see that the dot 4 levels are up to snuff and that the fluid is still nice and clear and you still have tight squeeze on the levers and smooth fluid engagement on the clutch. No valves to tune since the Vulcans have automatic adjusting hydraulics, so that is it. you will save yourself a ton of $$ by doing these things yourself. If it seems I missed something, please ask.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

as a professional auto tech [retired] I would recommend u keep written records and receipts of parts both dates n mileage of what u do esp. during the warranty period so if there is an issue u can support ur claim for proper maint. -- ive seen it go bad for people who didn't

kaw does not make the fluids they sell -- u can safely use any known good brand u choose that meets the specs. like dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid etc.

u should check all nuts n bolts for proper torque just to be sure -- things viberate and sometimes work loose so its an ongoing thing not once n done

u should get lots of opinions on this

Old 04-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I know there are a number of people here who are using Rotella oil and I used to put it in my V-Star 1100. The closest weight to the bike's specs last time I checked is 5w-50 for full synthetic. Is that weight okay for these bikes considering they do have hydraulic valve lifters? My understanding of hydraulic valve lifters employ the engine oil as the hydraulic fluid.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I know there are a number of people here who are using Rotella oil and I used to put it in my V-Star 1100. The closest weight to the bike's specs last time I checked is 5w-50 for full synthetic. Is that weight okay for these bikes considering they do have hydraulic valve lifters? My understanding of hydraulic valve lifters employ the engine oil as the hydraulic fluid.
the factory manual lists 10-30 as the lightest viscosity and 20-50 as highest and whatever in between u can find -- the engine oil supplies lube for engine and transmission and clutch

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Change your own oil, write the date on the back and the miles. Look around for loose bolts and nuts then go ride your bike.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

The only good reason to have the dealership do it, is to insure compliance with the warranty.

I purchased 2 years of pre-paid maintenance and the first 3 services (on my new Vaquero) alone were over $1000.

Look in your owners manual and it should say what needs to be done at each service interval.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I'm fifty miles shy of my Nomad's first 600 and wondering if it's necessary to pay a dealership to do the first service. All they do as far as I know is change the oil and check the tightness of bolts and nuts on the bike. I'm always suspicious of what actually gets done any way. What would you all check besides changing oil. Do any of you know what kind of brake and clutch fluid Kawasaki sets the bike up with? The fluid barely comes up to the site windows and I know you shouldn't mix types or even brands. Saving for accessories I'd really rather not spend 150.00 to have stuff done that i can do myself.
You can do it! Plus 1 on what everyone else has said. Top off the fluids. Check nuts, bolts, belt, free play and pivot points.
Go through the items in the owners manual.
DOCUMENT what you did, check list it...
I created a spreadsheet with all of the SERVICE and PERIODIC REPLACEMENT charts from the owners manual. It gets filled out with each self service...
Here a couple of snap shots...
(yes, I will share the spreadsheet. PM me..)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vaq-maint-1.jpg (19.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Vaq-maint-002.jpg (19.6 KB, 12 views)
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

PM sent

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Advanced Member

It does help to keep records....especially if you sell the bike someday but hopefully not. I always do my own work on mine...not many dealers I feel that are trustworthy to do any work especially out here where I live the metric dealership has a bad service dept. with a bad rep....I keep clear from that. I keep records of all oil change intervals on mine and do my own, and because the 1700s are low-revving deep stroke engines that run hot too, mine gets the best lube protection 20/50 Kawasaki performance oil. Someday I may switch to Lucas Oil 10/40 full synthetic...works great for wet clutches and is good for 5,000 or more miles between changes.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.