Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

+1 on pretty much what everyone else has said. I've installed 3 different Stebel/WOLO's on different bikes...definitely worth the money. Great horn and it's an attention getter, for sure. That being said, while the install isn't difficult per se, you do have to be prepared for wiring, and the relay (and finding nice, hidden, unobtrusive places for both)...as well as finding a mounting spot and fabricating some sort of bracket to do it. On my Suzuki VL800 and the Nomad, I always used one of the mounting bolts for the engine guard on the LH side (the Suzuki had a great place for the relay behind the LH neck cover and the stock horn wires could plug right in) but the Voyager is the first one where I've had hard lowers to contend with. I might try the Freeway blaster just for simplicity's sake. But yeah...the roadrunner horn has to go. Stat.

Bikes I Miss:
02 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
04 Suzuki Volusia (black)
07 Suzuki C50 (maroon/red)
04 Suzuki Volusia (blue/gray)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #17

I just changed my out yesterday and I used the Freeway blaster. Just bolted up using the stock location no issues works great. Got it from Amazon for 15.00. Took about 10 minutes to install.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #18

I too did the swap yesterday, although what SEEMED like it was gonna be a 10 min job did take me longer than that. The threaded post on the back of the horn wasn't long enough to get the nut on there. It was noticeably shorter than the one on the OEM horn. So with the bracket thickness, rubber grommet, and those metal clip things, I just couldn't do it. So I had to drill a hole in the bracket and do it that way. Not much slack in the horn wires so had to be careful but got it done.

I will mention that I went to the NAPA auto parts site (we have a regional warehouse here) and it doesn't return any results for "fiamm" or that 72112 item number. Although online pic looks identical and it seemed like I could make out "FIAMM" on it. Sure enough, same horn. Exact packaging and all. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457374834.704196.jpg

Bikes I Miss:
02 Kawasaki Nomad 1500
04 Suzuki Volusia (black)
07 Suzuki C50 (maroon/red)
04 Suzuki Volusia (blue/gray)

Old 03-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #19

As much as I like getting boxes from Amazon, I hate waiting. Even if it's only a day or 2. My Napa has it in stock and I'll be stopping by on my way home after work. It might be early March in MN but I've already got in a few hundred miles for 2016 and its spring to me!!

Matt Cantin
Mound,MN

VBA #03074

@mdcantin

2013 Voyager Pearl Crystal White / Metallic Phantom Silver
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut
Ivan's Performance ECU flash
Kuryakyn Alley Cat Air
Metrix KVR Amplifier & Speakers
iPod Adapter Kit

Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #20

I've heard the current draw from a Blaster is too much to run without a relay. The Fiamm catalog shows it pulls 6 amps and I think the a stock horn is usually about 2 amps.

The wires and such aren't an issue, but won't the switch end up with a failure in time without the relay set-up?

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #21
Advanced Member

That's why I chose the PIAA horn....low amp draw but pretty damn loud and it gets attention. No relay needed.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.