Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Irate V&H fustrations

Well, I had to brake down and call V&H and order a new rear header pipe. The pipe broke a little over a year ago and I had it welded back together. Because of where it broke (rite in the bend and completely around) the welder couldn't put a patch over the break.

So today, I was installing a toggle switch on my right hand components cover (for some LED lights), and noticed a fresh crack in the pipe again. I like the sound of the V&H and want to keep them. So I will see if I can get this crack welded up so I can still use it while I wait for the new pipe to come in.

V&H are proud of these replacement pipes. It was just under $150 for the pipe and will take 4 to 6 weeks to make it. They will call when the pipe is ready to ship, and then they will charge my card for the pipe AND shipping. I got around 6 years and 65,000 miles out of the last pipe, so hopefully I will get the same, if not more, out of the new one. And I think I am going to put some pipe wrap on the new one to maybe give it a little bit more ridge ability out of it.

That's enough of my whining. I am also joining the club of those who had to completely replace the rear header pipe.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #2

Really V&H have a problem with their Nomad pipes

They don't seem to think so.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

This really "cracks" me up. Not really, just couldn't resist. Good luck with the next one. Maybe see if your bike is running lean. Excessive heat will make thee pipes brittle.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 11-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Heat cycling of single wall pipes will eventually cause fatigue cracks over time regardless of manufacturer or brand. It is CRITICAL the pipes are installed and torqued correctly to minimize stress-induced cracks.

I've had my VH pipes installed for a few years without any problems.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Top Contributor

If it is heat cycling why is it always the rear pipe that cracks ?
Does the rear cylinder run hotter due to its position behind the front cylinder ?

Or is it that the bend is tighter making the tube wall thinner ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

I believe it has been decided that the V&H rear header pipe has a tighter bend at the head causing the tube wall to thin out.

This kind of makes since, because this is the spot where everyone has had a break. There is no real support for the rear pipe, just the mounting bolts at the head and the mounting point under the saddle bag. So if you change your tire, or have to remove the exhaust mounting bolts for any reason, it is putting stress on the bend at the head. And maybe the vibrations and movement while riding has something to do with the pipe breaking at that bend. Who really knows?

Now, I do believe this is a common problem. And V&H does not want to admit that it is a design flaw. You would think with as many replacement pipes they have sold, they would keep a couple on hand ready to sell.

I have read WAY TO MANY threads about people having their pipes break in the exact same spot. This can not all be a coincidence, or maybe there is a V&H gremlin that goes around the country messing up peoples exhaust. Maybe we all need to get special gremlin bells to hang on the rear header pipe!!!!
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50

Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

I haven't had any problems at all with my stock pipes.
I just leave the bike stock and ride 30,000 miles a year
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

I'd look for a better welder that can put a patch over the crack. It is possible, you tack the patch to the pipe and then heat it with a torch and tap it down to conform to the bend in the pipe. Mine has been holding for about 8 years since the repair, although it took me a couple attempts to get it right. We used a tig welder to weld the patch on.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Well, the pipe is welded up, and back on the bike. I have a new pipe on order, so when ever I need it, I am prepared.

I am just hooked on the awesome rumble that the V&H pipes, with Ultimate Baffles, have. I will be honest and say, I am a loud pipes addict. The stock pipes, even with the baffles drilled out, were just way to quiet. I know the sound isn't for everyone, and I respect that. When ridding in a group, if my pipes are to loud for someone, I offer to ride behind them. But I do alot of solo riding, and like having the loud pipes to help make the cage drivers aware of my presence.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50

Old 11-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #10

When mine finally cracked so I replaced them with Cobras, removed the baffles and reinstalled my Ultimate Baffles in its place. Secured now that this new set will last and retained my nice sound....... remember loud pipes save lives! Sorry TC.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire View Post
I will be honest and say, I am a loud pipes addict. .
I really don't understand why people feel this way.
What is it that you like about being loud?
Please don't say so the cagers can be aware your there because the ones who are a danger to you are listening to the radio , texting , putting on their make up etc. and still don't know your there.
I will give you credit for riding at the rear of the pack in a group ride, although that doesn't help the people on their deck trying to enjoy a peaceful evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
remember loud pipes save lives! Sorry TC.
No they don't
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I really don't understand why people feel this way.
What is it that you like about being loud?
Please don't say so the cagers can be aware your there because the ones who are a danger to you are listening to the radio , texting , putting on their make up etc. and still don't know your there.
I will give you credit for riding at the rear of the pack in a group ride, although that doesn't help the people on their deck trying to enjoy a peaceful evening.

No they don't
I appreciate that the American road system is different from England,but when i ride down a 2 lane road here,90%of the car's hear me coming and pull over a bit to allow me room to pass,i alway's raise my left off the bar's in aknowledgment.I dont blatt about in built up area's and annoy the resident's,though some people will turn to look,most of them seem happy to see a nice bike putting by.On top off all that,i like the sound of my pipe's,and from the comment's that i get,so does everyone else.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I appreciate that the American road system is different from England,but when i ride down a 2 lane road here,90%of the car's hear me coming and pull over a bit to allow me room to pass,i alway's raise my left off the bar's in aknowledgment.I dont blatt about in built up area's and annoy the resident's,though some people will turn to look,most of them seem happy to see a nice bike putting by.On top off all that,i like the sound of my pipe's,and from the comment's that i get,so does everyone else.

Loud is subjective.
What I consider loud is when a bike rattles the windows of stores on main street.
I have heard pipes at rallies that sound nice, Cobra pipes with the baffles in sound good. V&H pipes sound tinny to me.
A guy can have relatively loud pipes without being obnoxious.
By obnoxious I mean sitting at a stop light a blipping the throttle or blasting away from every stop.
My Drifter I consider to loud but Cindy loves the sound. When we ride it we are considerate of others and ride in a mature manner.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Loud is subjective.
What I consider loud is when a bike rattles the windows of stores on main street.
I have heard pipes at rallies that sound nice, Cobra pipes with the baffles in sound good. V&H pipes sound tinny to me.
A guy can have relatively loud pipes without being obnoxious.
By obnoxious I mean sitting at a stop light a blipping the throttle or blasting away from every stop.
My Drifter I consider to loud but Cindy loves the sound. When we ride it we are considerate of others and ride in a mature manner.
AHA! we get down to the blipping. That piss'es me off too mate,wanker's,whatever they ride,are wanker's. Most of the above ride Japanes 4 pot bike's,and have a total lack off respect for old fart's like you and me.I have had word's with such twat's. Some of who insist that they are "real badass" and have to show the world that they are.Us old gentlemen,who just want to cruise along steady,while enjoying the sound of an old tractor,should be left to do so. ( even if you and Cindy have to sit and tutt while sipping that G&T on the patio while other's pass by ) Anyway, while i am at it.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #15

Hey Guys., I see and did some searching on the ultimate baffles. Does anyone still make these? Being new to the Nomad I am just picking these things up. Thanks.

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder