Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I think a fuel processor is pointless if you are satisfied with performance and can deal with the rider felt heat.

I too thought I was satisfied with the bike except for the engine heat. I started with Cobra slip-ons and a fuel processor. I could not stand the Cobra noise and went back to stock exhaust with a two plate debaffle.

It ran much stronger and fuel mileage improved to the 40's if I don't run much over 70 mph. I did put on a Chuckster's BAK. It was more to get some free air around the cylinders than the intake restriction.

I am running the debaffled stock exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 box set at 3-5-0, and the Chuckster's BAK. It pulls much harder than an all stock bike now. 70mph local rides return 40+ mpg. Freeway speeds at 80 mph bucking a wind will knock it down as much as 10 miles per gallon sometimes.

If you look around the forum, you will find even the veterans on here spent 1000's of miles perfecting their scoots. Most end up with a version of the big three.
The big 3 transformed my Vaquero to what it should be. Some people are satisfied with stock setup and thats fine. I was impressed when I rode home from the dealership too, but knew that the bike felt held back. My Vaq now has the performance and MPGs that I was looking for. And I love testing and tuning if I can run 1000s of miles to do it.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
...and no pipes.

Who has added just a fuel manager (PCV or other)?

Who has added a fuel manger and a BAK?

How were your results with no pipes?

Thanks everyone. This a great forum with lots of info.
If your going to let more air in, you have to let it out. You can do pipes w/o a BAK, but not BAK w/o pipes.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #18
Top Contributor

I had a Bak and processor on my Nomad and the same on my Voyager. I did debaffle the stock mufflers on the Nomad but left the Voyager mufflers stock.

Both bikes ran way better than stock after the mods. More torque and smoother power delivery. Also both bikes ran cooler after the mods. Fuel mileage hardly affected.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #19

Sabre-t
"Air in equals air out."
Adding a BAK and letting more AIR into the system, without giving the system a way to easily exhaust that additional air may not be the best combination.

Ride safe,
Smokier

("Doh! on me!" What Johnny-Y said)
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #20

adding a LITTLE fuel can help cool the combustion chambers and cure surge and hesitation if u have those symptoms with a stock engine--if done correctly u can see some improvement on a dyno test - it helped my 010 - the de baffle I could feel when pulling a moderate hill without down shifting at moderate speeds - nothing drastic but on familiar hills where I ride all the time there is a noticeable improvement in torque - there is only a slight change in noise level -- am getting @40 mpg when the monitor says 42.7 -- I did 1 plate debaffle - then 2 - then 3 on the right side - between 2 & 3 I cant feel or hear much difference

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #21
Top Contributor

[QUOTE=smokier;635117]Sabre-t
"Air in equals air out."
Adding a BAK and letting more AIR into the system, without giving the system a way to easily exhaust that additional air may not be the best combination.

I ran both bikes for 3 years and was very happy with the results. Would the results have been even better with a more open exhaust, probably.
Trouble is loud pipes get on my wick after about 30 minutes.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #22

Cobra Slip-ons for sale

[QUOTE=redjay;635241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Sabre-t
I ran both bikes for 3 years and was very happy with the results. Would the results have been even better with a more open exhaust, probably.
Trouble is loud pipes get on my wick after about 30 minutes.
I'm with you on the loud pipes. You're right, a two plate de-baffle is a noticeable improvement. In fact I have a set of Cobra Billet Tip slip-ons in the forums classified section. $175 shipped.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Must be my ears after having Samson pipes on my 1500, but I dont hear my slip ons as loud at all. Unless I go WOT.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
If it runs just fine-why a fuel processor? I'm with you on the quiet pipes. In fact, I spent the first 10-12 thousand miles resisting modifications. But fact is, your bike will not be pleasant to be around when the weather reaches 85 degrees and above. Very hot ride! Minimally, you need to do a two plate stock debaffle and and add the fuel processor. Debaffled stock exhaust is NOT loud. Actually quiet a pleasant improvement. As much as I dragged my feet, I'm glad I have the big 3 now. Get some ear plugs and enjoy the ride.
85...LOL! It has been 90-100 here in the DC area lately.

I am not sure what you people think is hot. Granted I can feel the heat but it is not even close to heat of the right side of my RG with a V&H 2into1 pro-pipe...LOL

The fuel processor would be for better gas mileage but from what I am reading I guess it isn't worth it. So I guess I stop 20 miles sooner for gas...LOL!

Last edited by mattman; 07-27-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #25

Thanks Redjay! What processor do you have on the Voyager?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #26

Working on the bike today and I decided to look in the pipes. I was surprised to find that there was nothing for 6" (measured to the bottom of the slash on the end) inside there. From what I have read, an extension is not needed to drill out the first baffle, so it must be gone. It is almost exactly 6", so does that mean that the 2nd plate has been drilled out, too?

I assume that when an FI is installed, the box is usually put under the seat. Is that where it would be, or could it be tucked out of the way somewhere where it is not visible unless the tank is lifted?

Anyway, if no FI is installed, I should be good to go with a BAK and an FI with the baffles already drilled out, assuming both walls have been removed.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #27

Baffle depth '10 Voyager

So, how deep are the baffles in a 2010 Voyager? Like I said before, I measure 6" from the bottom of the slash to whatever is there. There appears to be a cut ring just inside and further down the pipe, but these might just be seams.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #28

Different mufflers on the 12 Voyager, but 6" in is very likely the 1st baffle from the back, was on my Voyager anyway. I removed the back 2 on mine within a week of buying it. I added a Thunder stock air kit and a Gman fuel controller. The 1st thing I noticed was the soft spot in the 2500 rpm range was gone, more, and smoother power here, 2200-2800? After playing with the controller off and on, am averaging 38+ mpg mostly 2up riding.