Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

2011 Vaquero clutch occasionally frozen/sticking

I've searched the forum for references, found a few, but would like some help organizing a plan here. I'm having to live in an RV park, so I don't have normal access to my nice garage and tools. Primitive Pete, we used to call it. Bike has 53k+ on it, never had clutch work, other than the lines changed out for SS braided less than 10k ago. Anyway, I was leaving work and had just pulled onto the street coming up on the first intersection. I couldn't squeeze the clutch lever in. I tried a couple times with increasing force, and it finally pulled in with a noticeable pop. I was able to pull it in a couple more times with the pop, then it stayed stuck. I stalled the motor at the light, poked it into neutral and got to the side. After stopping, I took the lever off, thinking perhaps something had physically got stuck. Nope. I put the handle back on and pulled off the master cylinder cover, and had a good amount of fluid come out. After replacing the cover, the clutch lever popped again when I pulled it in, but then worked smoothly for the rest of the day. The next day on one occasion it was quite 'firm' but worked, and after a couple of squeezes started working fine again for the rest of the day.
I've read about the master cylinder getting clogged, and read about the slave cylinder (KAW calls it a Clutch Release Assembly, correct?) wearing out. What am I looking for to determine what is wrong? With this many miles, should I also look at clutch replacement (clutch is not slipping) while I'm in that area? This geographic bachelor thing is wearing on my brain, need all the brainpower you can spare to make up the difference! What can I check/repair/replace in front of my camper with limited tools (I will pick my MightyVac up and bring it here), or do I bite the bullet and take it to a shop and pay (shudder) them to do it? Which will be hard, in that it seldom misbehaves!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Sounds like the problem is somewhere in the master cylinder. Have the same issue on my old 1500 classic that I sold to my buddy. I am going to make sure the return port inside the master cylinder is clear. If crud gets in there you can have a lever issue. Then I am going to bleed the entire system multiple times to ensure no air is in there. If your clutch is not slipping or coming out of gear I would say you are fine, even at 53,000 miles.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Check the slave cylinder
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

I had the same thing the I left for Laverne. Had them change the fluid they cleaned the lever I asked about the slave. they haven't heard of any problem's any way that was all I needed. Hope that's the same for you.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Check the slave cylinder
Got a good description of what or how to check the slave?

Americas Guardians PS MC
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Small round cover left rear of motor comes off, 3 allen head bolts. You should see the fluid line going to it. The line does not have to be removed, but unbolt the slave cyclinder and clean out any dirt on the rod. Havent done this myself, going from what I've read on other threads.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

And while you are there change the brake fluid in the clutch.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Be carful not to over tighten the cover bolts !!! . Good luck, cheers.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

Sorry about seldom checking, life keeps getting in the way of the good stuff! Get to home this weekend, will certainly check this out. This morning was the worst it has ever been, but it finally started working right. Although I couldn't pull the clutch handle all the way in, it would pull in just enough to disengage the clutch. After a few stop signs, turns, and a mile on a pretty rough road, all was well again - for now. Thanks for the information!

Americas Guardians PS MC
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Small round cover left rear of motor comes off, 3 allen head bolts. You should see the fluid line going to it. The line does not have to be removed, but unbolt the slave cyclinder and clean out any dirt on the rod. Havent done this myself, going from what I've read on other threads.
It sounds exactly like what was happening with my bike . . . I bled and changed the fluid and cleaned a bunch of junk out of the slave cylinder enclosure . . . smooth as silk now . . . While I was at it, I added a little something to the outside of the cover too . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4613a.jpg (68.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4611a.jpg (80.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4616a.jpg (78.3 KB, 15 views)

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest