Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #1

IG fuse under right side cover

Good evening,

Hoping someone can help me as I am not exactly an electrical guy. 2006 Nomad 1600. 28,000 miles. Riding tonight and it shut off. Like I turned the key. Kill switch not hit, key not touched. On the chrome tank gauge the blinker light would flash, the high beam light would come on but no fuel pump or gear indicator light and no noise what so ever with hitting the starter button. 10A fuse under the right side cover blown. 1st symptom of any problem. Was running fine. No bumps, etc. Switched fuse hoping to get to a better spot off road. 1st new fuse- lights all worked, started bike and put it in gear and POP. 2nd new fuse got me 1/4 mile (safer spot at least) and POP. Trailered home.

I am thinking a short between the key (ignition set up on the tank) and the IG fuse. Plan on running this wire Sunday. Anyone had similar event and what did you do/find? I have googled this with out any luck.

Thanks,

Kevin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

So it appears I am the only one with this issue. Damn. Looked over the wiring diagram. Br/R wire from fuse panel goes to FI light, Gear indicator light, oil pressure warning delay unit, Main Relay, and Engine Stop Switch.

I put a brand new fuse into the spot, turned key on with everything OK. Left it on for a little bit, still OK. Started it and idled fine for a minute or so. OK. Started back up, ran fine. 1/2 mile up the road and then back with out problems.

I ran the Br/R wire from the panel to the main harness where it runs under the tank. Looks OK
Main Relay fuse and wire looks OK
The wire from where it comes out from under the tank to the gauge cluster. Took that all apart and checked junctions and solder points which all looked OK.
I am not going to pull the tank at this point to check the entire harness.

So... My "Block" is a 6 mile loop. I took a hand full of new fuses with me. I jumped up and down on it, did slalom type maneuvers, hit some bumps, accelerated and decelerated soft and hard and it ran flawlessly for 22 miles.

Do fuses age like other electrical components? The ones last night were original so at least 10 years old. I will take some more local rides to be safe but I guess if it happens again then it goes to the shop.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

My experience had been that fuses become brittle over time and more prone to blowing, especially if the circuit load has been near the maximum for the fuse. I have never noted age as being a problem.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

Fuses don't age in the normal sense but what does happen to them sometimes in the fuse block is just like what happens to an electracal connector. Over time oxidation and corosion can build up and cause resistance which equals heat. If this continues long enough it will get worse to the point that the fuse may blow.
This isn't to say that for sure this is your problem, you may have an overload because of the way some one has wired some acc up or an intermittent short.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Check ignition switch connection where it is soldered on , this happened to me, just like someone turned key to off.
Soldered wire back on and all was good.

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
Check ignition switch connection where it is soldered on , this happened to me, just like someone turned key to off.
Soldered wire back on and all was good.
Do you mean inside the switch?
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

I have now done several rides for about 200 miles with out another issue. All new fuses. I have a bunch of extra ones to be safe. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

So another 1000 miles and no problems.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

Glad your not having any more issues. thanks for the update.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Advanced Member

on 01 nomad same thing happened to m. I spent days looking for a short to ground. I even had smoke bellowing from behind the rear jug when I hit the starter eventually blew the main fuse, I gave in and took it to a kawi dealer and he found the wiring harness had rubbed on top of the rear jug very hard to spot and It took tiny fingers to fix. he had spliced several wires there that had shown wear
SKULLSHAKER

Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #11

Remind me never to speak again about a problem going away. 2 days ago I posted no problems since the original event and tonight it happened again. I guess it goes to the dealer now.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Maybe try pulling the fuse and cleaning the slots by putting in the fuse and pulling it several times. Next run the engine a feel that fuse seeking for heat.

Fuse can age and get electrically cruddy, and when they heat and cool enough times they heat up for a last time and blow. This is called work hardening. More or less most metals fatigue and harden after many heating and cooling cycles.

If this works it will prove the female clips are dirty. There could be a chaffing shorting out as well, somewhere in the system. DON'T be adding larger AMP fuses..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

Freedom Cycle in Concord found the problem. Part of my wiring harness had rubbed against the battery bracket. He said the metal of the bracket was worn away where it the wire would occasionally arc. Everything else looked good so hopefully this will cure it. It certainly was good to find and prevent other electrical high jinx as well. I can't imagine shorting out a bunch of the electrical components on a grand scale like that.