Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Tour pak wiring question

I'm installing a tour pak from an HD ultraclassic on my 2006 Nomad, and have come to the part I dread most -- splicing into the wiring. the tour pak has running lights, brake lights and turn signals, so i'll have to tap into all of those wires. I'm thinking its best to do so between the battery compartment and where the harness goes under the rear fender, but what's the best way to splice them in? I've been checking out Posi-tap connectors, which seem like they would be the easiest for someone such as myself with limited skills -- do they work as advertised?

I plan to run the wires up into the tour pak and terminate them in a connector to plug into the tour pak harness, in case i need to remove the tour pak, but is there anything else I need to consider? thanks for any help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

I just peeled some of the coating off the wire and soldered the new wires to them. I then wrapped with electrical tape. I don't use quick connectors, ever.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54zamboni View Post
I'm installing a tour pak from an HD ultraclassic on my 2006 Nomad, and have come to the part I dread most -- splicing into the wiring. the tour pak has running lights, brake lights and turn signals, so i'll have to tap into all of those wires. I'm thinking its best to do so between the battery compartment and where the harness goes under the rear fender, but what's the best way to splice them in? I've been checking out Posi-tap connectors, which seem like they would be the easiest for someone such as myself with limited skills -- do they work as advertised?

I plan to run the wires up into the tour pak and terminate them in a connector to plug into the tour pak harness, in case i need to remove the tour pak, but is there anything else I need to consider? thanks for any help!
I would definately solder connections over the piggyback/positap connectors. I guess another factor to think about is if the current electrical system can handle it. You may need to add an additional aux. fuse block.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

I made up a small harness that I spliced, soldered, & sealed with heat shrink under the seat, the other end of it connects to the HD Tour Pak wiring. That way if you ever want to remove the Pak you just unplug the harness. I also did the speaker wires on the Pak like that as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I bought some of the posi-lock, posi-tap connectors online to replace some of the connections I had and they work great. Once you screw them onto the wires, they are firmly connected and I tugged on the wires pretty good and they wouldn't budge. If you are not soldering, posi-lock or the posi-tap connectors are the way to go IMHO.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54zamboni View Post

The HD Ultra Classic trunk has brake lights and running lights not turn signals. Mine does though 'cause I wired the lights thru my run-turn-brake controller. I used a 12 pin quick disconnect to wire it up with. I think that I only used 9 of the pins, thats with the rear lights, side lights and speakers.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

I'm trying to find a couple of speakers to mount on my HD trunk.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #8

Check Ebay, they come up there often. I bought some pods there a few years ago, and had a shop sew up some new vynal covers for them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

That's what I am hoping ring... I'm not interested in spending a fortune. I don't even need working speakers in them. I had to mount my trunk back a bit further than normal as my wife can't sit up straight. There is now more gap between the trunk and seat I just want to hide for cosmetic reasons.

Cheers,

Old 04-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

These are the speaker pods I have, but they have doubled in price since I bought mine.

http://dragonflycycleconcepts.com/speaker_pods.htm

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

getting closer but still need help -- I have the run turn brake controller on my bike, and I spliced into the running light/brake light/ground wires AFTER the controller and wired that to the three wire oem plug in the tour pak. running lights and brake lights work great, but when I turn on either turn signal both running lights on the tour pak blink slightly, and the blinker rate on the bike is sped up quite a bit. both lights on the tour pak blink regardless of right or left turn signal. before I splice into the wires BEFORE the run turn brake harness I just want to make sure that will eliminate the blinking, or wondering if there's some other easy fix?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #12

Answered your PM, but I forgot to ask, is the bike running when you checked your blinkers?, Mine will blink fast and be like 4 way flashers with the switch on, but not running. When I start the bike up, they work just like they're supposed to.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #13

Thumbs Up

well, you learn something new every day! the rapid blinking was with the key on, bike NOT running. just went out and fired it up, and blinkers work fine at normal blink rate, and the other lights do what they're supposed to, when they're supposed to. having the brake lights on the tour pak should make a huge improvement in brake light visibility for anyone behind me.

the running lights on tour pak still have a barely perceptible blink when blinkers are on (I can see it only if I'm right up close, my wife can't see it from any distance and says I'm insane, lol) so I think I'm good to go. a big thanks to VulcanE for your help, and again, this forum is awesome for someone like myself with limited mechanical skills -- its very much appreciated!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

Sounds like you got it Jim, and your welcome.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381