Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Radio Advice

I'm looking to add a radio and speakers to my nomad. I may be getting a free one with amp and speakers if the guy can find it. Otherwise I'll be buying. Any opinions on a good brand to buy for a good price? I also have no fairing so it will be handle bar mounted more than likely.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by rwall89; 03-17-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

It depends on how you plan to mount the stereo. I would go with this one for an easy setup and a great receiver that you can add an amp to later if you decide.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-PRV25.../dp/B00AH5ZTNQ

The picture below is my last bike with a similar stereo installed between the risers on the bike. Attaching it was easy. I used a p-clamp and a piece of 1"x3"x1/2" mild steel that I drilled 3 holes in and tapped one. That was all that was needed to mount it to the bars.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stereo1.jpg (97.2 KB, 54 views)

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

I'll look into that one. Thanks!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #4

So update to my radio situation. I have a family friend that used to be a retail salesman for clarion and JL audio so I stopped be today to see if he had any experience working with radios on motorcycles. Unfortunately he had not, but he had a Beats by Dre Pill that he was able to sell me for $100. I was skeptical at first but after hearing it, I think it will be plenty loud. I even talked to the guy that works for him who rides a electra glide and we stepped outside and turned it up and he also thought it would be loud enough. So while taking it home, I put it in my jacket pocket and could hear in decently but obviously muffled. Once I got home I tried to figure out how to mount it.First thought was velcro. Ended up not working as the base would not stick to the velcro. So then I decided to put it in my handle bar bag and see how it sounded. It was fine sitting still but couldnt really hear it while riding. I then began to think, I'll just poke holes in the bag so it doesnt muffle it, as when the bag is open it is blaring. I finally got online to look if anybody else had mounted it on a motorcycle. Turns out, they make a handle bar mount for it. I ordered the mount and it should be here soon. I'll update once I get the mount and put it on and let you guys know how it sounds if anybody is interested. Obviously the pill is not waterproof so I'll have to do a quick remove if I get caught in rain. But I dont intend on riding in too much rain. Hopefully it works well and as I said before, if anybody is interested in how it works, I'll update on this post.