Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I'd buy my CCT again. For now it's my favorite bike. I know my next bike will be my favorite as my tastes change as time goes on. I never thought cruise control would be nice but now I wouldn't do without it ever. Super overdrive 6th gear is a requirement. 100 hp or more is a requirement (I travel fully loaded 2 up) At least 200 mile range tank, preferably 300 miles. Full instrumentation with GPS and everything else bluetoothed to my helmet will be a requirement on my next bike.

My 2006 Nomad was so much nicer than anything I'd ever ridden long distance before it showed me what real traveling could be on a quality bike. My CCT really upped the bar and I'm hoping whatever is my next bike will raise the bar higher.

2 of my riding buddies have just bought the new 2015 Road Glide and those bikes have some really nice tech things. The big screen dash with a gazillion functions is awesome. Bike is still too small but someday I could be on a Harley. Who knows but when motorcycle manufactures compete we all win! Don't be hung up on just brand loyalty.
I had/have the same requirements. I went in a different direction. Not sure I'd do it again. I don't like temperamental or expensive to maintain. We'll see what comes out next year.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #17

I'm glad you like the Voyager. My new 2012 is really nice though I'm still getting used to it. I have to admit though, I have not tried very hard to sell my 07 Nomad. It's got a lot of miles, I don't really have room in my oversized yet single car garage and I don't "need" two bikes but "Hidalgo" and I have gone a far piece together. It needs a few things repaired but I still love that bike.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
Did you notice a difference in the transmission of the 2011 and 2013 Voyager compared to your 2010 Nomad?
Not that I can remember, what are you referring to, maybe you can bring something to mind.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by george james View Post
Not that I can remember, what are you referring to, maybe you can bring something to mind.
In 2011 Kaw made a change in the transmission I think the gearing was a little taller and not as much klunk when shifting.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #20

I am very happy with my Voyager. Had a 2007 Nomad with 56000 miles on it before i bought the Voyager both bikes are great. Never had a problem with the Nomad
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 AM   #21

I too am very happy with my Voyager... with a few modifications it's exactly the bike we need for right now, and for later this year to get my wife & I around a 10k mile trip across the USA & Canada as well.

But beyond that? Life's too short for me to consider buying the same bike over again, there are simply too many nice bikes out there to spend more than a few years riding the same one - especially once I get it exactly like I want it. I get just as much enjoyment out of making a bike mine. You know... adding this & that to it, exhaust, air, risers, , even usb outlets (I have four of those now, but haven't used many of them). And my long-suffering wife will confirm that once I'm finished - I'll usually soon start looking for another project to get going with.

We already quite like the look (and the feel) of the '15 Street Glide, and have an eye half open for a good deal on one. Plus the (almost) 1000 page accessories catalog has the saliva glands activated

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
In 2011 Kaw made a change in the transmission I think the gearing was a little taller and not as much klunk when shifting.
I'm an easy rider kinda laid back and easy on the throttle (if that makes a difference) so if there is much difference I haven't noticed. Not enough clunk in the one I have now to be something I'd notice and really can't remember about the others, sorry I'm no help. I've really enjoyed these bikes and would still buy another if I was looking. At this point in life 3 wheels are attractive and may go that route next time the bug hits, kinda got an eye for the slingshot after the bugs get worked out.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I too am very happy with my Voyager... with a few modifications it's exactly the bike we need for right now, and for later this year to get my wife & I around a 10k mile trip across the USA & Canada as well.

But beyond that? Life's too short for me to consider buying the same bike over again, there are simply too many nice bikes out there to spend more than a few years riding the same one - especially once I get it exactly like I want it. I get just as much enjoyment out of making a bike mine. You know... adding this & that to it, exhaust, air, risers, , even usb outlets (I have four of those now, but haven't used many of them). And my long-suffering wife will confirm that once I'm finished - I'll usually soon start looking for another project to get going with.

We already quite like the look (and the feel) of the '15 Street Glide, and have an eye half open for a good deal on one. Plus the (almost) 1000 page accessories catalog has the saliva glands activated
I always say my favorite bike is my next one. That said, are you shipping your bike here or hiring one?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-06-2015, 02:39 AM   #24

Shipping Ponch... 45 or so days of riding spread out over 2 months, so it passes the tipping point where shipping a bike which I have just about right now - will be cheaper than renting anything comparable for that length of time.

We're on an organized tour with a fellow NZ'er, "Kiwi Ken" O'Leary, riding his "best of the west" tour in that link.

I bought this bike to set up for this one ride. I think I preferred the Nomad, but I just felt the mileage was getting up a bit too high to fully trust it over that distance. The Voyager is a great bike for a long trip like this one, and I don't think there's any other bike I'd rather take... but after we're back I know I'll be starting to look for something else.

I keep my bikes a very long time by comparison with my brother though... He's had at least 3 Dukes, and a couple of Beemers over the last year or so, and told me the other night he got drunk & bought a Buell. He changes them so often I don't get to ride half of them dammit

Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #25
Top Contributor

Does your brother own a diamond mine :)

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Shipping Ponch... 45 or so days of riding spread out over 2 months, so it passes the tipping point where shipping a bike which I have just about right now - will be cheaper than renting anything comparable for that length of time.

We're on an organized tour with a fellow NZ'er, "Kiwi Ken" O'Leary, riding his "best of the west" tour in that link.

I bought this bike to set up for this one ride. I think I preferred the Nomad, but I just felt the mileage was getting up a bit too high to fully trust it over that distance. The Voyager is a great bike for a long trip like this one, and I don't think there's any other bike I'd rather take... but after we're back I know I'll be starting to look for something else.

I keep my bikes a very long time by comparison with my brother though... He's had at least 3 Dukes, and a couple of Beemers over the last year or so, and told me the other night he got drunk & bought a Buell. He changes them so often I don't get to ride half of them dammit
The Nomad or Voyager can be reliable with high mileage. I know of an example of each where the riders put over 250K miles on them in a relatively short time.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #27

I know it probably would have done the trip. There were a few other factors too, though. The resale value was better while it was under 100k, plus I started getting paranoid about the output shaft bearing, but the biggie... I got the new bike bug instantly, when I saw this Voyager on the market at an unbelievably low price.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Does your brother own a diamond mine :)
He pilots ferries and tugs in both Christchurch and Akaroa harbors. If you've ever been to NZ, you'd know the road from Christchurch to Akaroa is one of the most excellent riding roads in this country on any bike... on a sportbike, it's absolutely insane. So whenever he can, he rides it. The company he works for over in Akaroa clocks him on from home - he's paid to ride.

But he's also one of those younger single fellas without, shall we say the "fiscal constraint" of marriage or home ownership, and he's also one of those fellas who seem to have the happy knack of finding great deals on used bikes, doing a little work on them, and always making money when he sells them.

I'm a little jealous of that second part.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #29
Top Contributor

I did the same thing in the U.K when I was young and single.
I had 17 bikes in 13 years. The only difference is most of them cost $200 or less.

Last edited by redjay; 03-06-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhunter View Post
I'm glad you like the Voyager. My new 2012 is really nice though I'm still getting used to it. I have to admit though, I have not tried very hard to sell my 07 Nomad. It's got a lot of miles, I don't really have room in my oversized yet single car garage and I don't "need" two bikes but "Hidalgo" and I have gone a far piece together. It needs a few things repaired but I still love that bike.
Looking at upgrading and selling my 06 Nomad and trying to find a Voyager around here is akine to finding a needle in a haystack. How do the seating positions differ from Nomad to Voyager? Heard you're closer to the gas tank. Even dealers don't have any in stock for me to sit on. Closest one for sale is about 2 hours away