Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exharley View Post
I got my extenders from chuckster on the way. I will go the route of taking the covers of and looking for F and R, if I can find them. I hope I don't kill my bike during the operation.
go here

http://s290.photobucket.com/user/Mac...?sort=3&page=1

there are pics like this

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #32

Well looky there. A picture IS worth a thousand words! Thanks for posting them, Mac.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #33

Man, that's great ! I feel a lot more confident about doing the job now. Great pic's.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
How many years since the clutch fluids been changed? You might want to do that while the cover is off.

I change the clutch , brakes and final drive fluids every year whether they need it or not. Usually in the Spring so as to have it done through out the summer and fall months.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #35

I did extenders at 68K miles.

I didn't worry about being on TDC-BUT I also made sure the bike engine did not get turned over until the CCTs were replaced. I then took the plugs out and turned the motor over a few times to let the CCTs take up some slack before starting the engine.

I did some videos of making the extenders and putting the CCTs back together but haven't had a chance to edit them and put them up for everyone. Work sucks...LOL

Have any questions pm me your email and I can send some pics I took of how things go back together.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Man, that's great ! I feel a lot more confident about doing the job now. Great pic's.
Well if you have had that cover off the rest is cake. The socket wrench turns 'OFF' 'counter clockwise' as the engine turns in it's rotation. Trust me and never ever turn these engines backwards, not even a bit. This is because f the slack in the chain and the guide rails not being made to guide the chains turning the wrong way.

I pull the left ft plug to feel the comp stroke by finger (air passes) and the lt rr plug running the wrench with my left hand to feel air with my right hand finger to tell the comp stroke. Once you begin to fell that air you can watch for the letter.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Why these pics are this way is i did the ft end and then i did the extenders at the same time, First the ft end then the extenders. Having that as tank out of the way is best.

http://s290.photobucket.com/user/Mac...?sort=3&page=1

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #38

extenders job done

I did the cam tensioners extension job today. It went well even though I was nervous all the way. Ya'll are right , the front one is a bit rougher than the rear. Took about 2 1/2 hours all told. Thank you Macmac for the pic's and explanations and also Mongo for the videos. The videos really cleared up some confusion I had. I did use the site glass and turned the engine over by hand to make sure all was seated and in place.
The old tensioners were extended all the way but the chain didn't hit anything. Took out the plug tubes and they were not marred.
That's a load off my mind.
Thanks all !
Jim

PS The bike has 45,000 miles on it .

Last edited by exharley; 05-19-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I did the cam tensioners extension job today. It went well even though I was nervous all the way. Ya'll are right , the front one is a bit rougher than the rear. Took about 2 1/2 hours all told. Thank you Macmac for the pic's and explanations and also Mongo for the videos. The videos really cleared up some confusion I had. I did use the site glass and turned the engine over by hand to make sure all was seated and in place.
The old tensioners were extended all the way but the chain didn't hit anything. Took out the plug tubes and they were not marred.
That's a load off my mind.
Thanks all !
Jim

PS The bike has 45,000 miles on it .
I take it you still have that black plastic cross over tube.. It gets wicked tight with that thing in the way.

Since you removed the plug tubes did you see the water drains and run a wire or a pipe cleaner down thru them?

I clean mine 2 times a season since mud dauber wasps like to clog these up. Once you know where the low point is I find it easier to send a pipe cleaner up rather than down.

How i came to notice was a muddy stain that felt sandy weeping out behind cly 2. I was like HUH? Is that oil??? No its sandy water HUH? Could it be coolant? hell no its plain muddy water. damnned bugs

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #40

cool man glad it all worked out for you and you got em done now. I was like you worried I'd trash my engine but there are alot of good guys on here willing to help.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
I take it you still have that black plastic cross over tube.. It gets wicked tight with that thing in the way.

Since you removed the plug tubes did you see the water drains and run a wire or a pipe cleaner down thru them?

I clean mine 2 times a season since mud dauber wasps like to clog these up. Once you know where the low point is I find it easier to send a pipe cleaner up rather than down.

How i came to notice was a muddy stain that felt sandy weeping out behind cly 2. I was like HUH? Is that oil??? No its sandy water HUH? Could it be coolant? hell no its plain muddy water. damnned bugs

No, didn't see any water drains but I didn't know to look either. Next time I'll look.
The crossover was awful in the way and I didn't see any way to get it out but I removed the screws on both ends which gave me a very little play.
Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #42

VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 05-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #43

Good to hear you got er' done! This has been an educational and insperational thread. Ordered my extenders from the chuckster when it was on page one, got them in the mail the other day.

My turn! Thanks for posting the pics Mac, thats a big help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 05-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #44

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Good to hear you got er' done! This has been an educational and insperational thread. Ordered my extenders from the chuckster when it was on page one, got them in the mail the other day.

My turn! Thanks for posting the pics Mac, thats a big help.

You will want to request Mongo for his video's as well, cover all bases.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #45

Since the video was kind of large and didn't want to email I put it to Youtube so anyone that wanted to see it could. It doesn't go over taking them on/off the bike but kind of explains how the CCT works and the proper assembly and installation of the CCTs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

And no, you don't need a shop cat for proper installation.