Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
When I want to grill a whole bird I usually preheat the BBQ, cut the dead bird in half, season and place the inside down on the grill, The side that the bird is on, shut it off and close the lid, no flare ups, no problems.... Only thing is when the chicken is cooked, turn that side back on to burn off the fat and stuff, mmmmmmmm chicken I’m hungry too
cut the dead bird in half, I think I just found my problem. They gotta be dead first?!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #32

I had that problem once as a kid. It's a funny story today.

When my brother and I were kids (under 12) we found a chicken running away from a local chicken factory. We decided to take it home, cook it, and surprise our mother. We went to various neighbors asking how to cook the chicken. The first neighbor says you have to pluck the feathers off. We found that hard so we went back to the neighbor and they told us you had to do it in hot water. We plunked the bird in to the big pot of boiling hot water and started plucking the feathers. The bird was flapping and making all kinds of noise. Back to the neighbor we go and tell them of our dilemma. They tell us you have to cut the head off first. We go back home and take the chicken in to the bath tub and cut it's head off. Nobody told us that the blood would be shooting out of the neck and the chicken would still be hoping around. By the time we got the chicken to stop hopping around and die my mother came home from work. Being a nurse the first thing she thought when she walked in to the bathroom was that someone was killed in the house. Needless to say that bird didn't go down well.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #33

Thats a hilarious story!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #34

I've got to share this with my folks! This brings back memories.....

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #35

Since SC50 brought up smokin' here is a couple of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9569.jpg (101.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9570.jpg (98.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1381.jpg (95.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg smoking.jpg (63.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg smoking1.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #36

Thumbs Up

I don't do it too often, but when I fire up the smoker, I usually have several large cuts of meat ready to go. It's an all day affair, feeding the wood, and tending the process. But, here's a little bonus I'll pass along for you guys that have the large, all day kind of set up.

I usually had a bit of fire left at the end of the smoking process, and of course, the smoker was all warmed up (large, heave pipe) so I found it perfect for doing a few salmon filets. I would take two or three Salmon about 14 - 15 inches without the head, filet them and just lay the filets on the grate skin down and close up the smoker (maybe throw on one more small piece of wood) and just leave it for about 2 1/2 hours while we ate, put away the meat, etc. By the time I got back to it the fire was just about gone, but the fish was perfect. Then I would wrap them, maybe freeze them and give them to friends for the holidays (what we didn't eat of course). Nothing like fresh smoked salmon on a big holiday spread.

Now, here's the BEST part!! The tail and some of the edges of the fish, being thin, would get pretty dry and hard. No problem, I trimmed all of this part off and kept it. Put it in a little food processor or a spice grinder and turn it to powder. Then blend with cream cheese a little wochestshire maybe some red pepper or whatever flavors you like. But, keep it simple. I promise you the best Salmon dip you have ever had. Oh, I usually use Oak for this.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post

When my brother and I were kids (under 12) we found a chicken running away from a local chicken factory. We decided to take it home, cook it, and surprise our mother. We went to various neighbors asking how to cook the chicken. The first neighbor says you have to pluck the feathers off. We found that hard so we went back to the neighbor and they told us you had to do it in hot water. We plunked the bird in to the big pot of boiling hot water and started plucking the feathers. The bird was flapping and making all kinds of noise. Back to the neighbor we go and tell them of our dilemma. They tell us you have to cut the head off first. We go back home and take the chicken in to the bath tub and cut it's head off. Nobody told us that the blood would be shooting out of the neck and the chicken would still be hoping around. By the time we got the chicken to stop hopping around and die my mother came home from work. Being a nurse the first thing she thought when she walked in to the bathroom was that someone was killed in the house. Needless to say that bird didn't go down well.
KIDS!!!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post

Now that is funnnnnnny!!!!!!!!
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 05-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #39

sly and ..I have the "chicken dun right", figured out !

paul..that salmon when enjoyed way up around Nome AK. is called "Klondike Candy"

Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC50 View Post
Did someone say BBQ? Smoke em' if ya got em' Attachment 6368
Now that looks delicious.....except for that bottle of Michelob Ultra. That's some nasty stuff, posing as beer!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #41

We grill a lot of chicken here. I too, am an advocate of heating the grill first. I like to rub some Montreal steak seasoning on chicken breast and place them on the hot grill, which sears them initially. Then when they are ready to turn, they do not stick. Once turned, I brush a good BBQ sauce on them while they finish cooking. Sweet Baby Ray's is good, and I like the sauces from Famous Dave's, particularly the Devil's Spit. Fast, easy and tasty.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo View Post
Now that looks delicious.....except for that bottle of Michelob Ultra. That's some nasty stuff, posing as beer!
I trained myself to drink it. My wife drinks it, and far too often it was the only beer left in the fridge at night so I acquired the taste. I can drink a zillion of them, so it works great for 6hr smokes. I'm not passed out when the food is done like when I drink Fat Tire and such :beer:

uploadfromtaptalk1399164012417.jpg

2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600
VBA #02525

Old 05-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #43

Man, that looks delicious! I am a fan of the fat tire as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

My son Aron came home with three 1" steaks yesterday afternoon. I put some Montreal steak
seasoning on them. ( Recommended by Ring) when the grill hit 350* I put them on, at about 8
minutes I turned them, at about 8 minutes I turned them again, at about 3 minutes I took them
off. We like them with some pink on the inside. They tasted awesome.

Thanks for the tip Steve.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #45

I think it's very rude of you people to post pictures of your great BBQed food without inviting the members over for a bite. What ever happen to manners!!!!