Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Wyoming In September

Guys, need some help/opinions on my next road trip later this year, in September. The plan is that I fly into Denver with my wife from the UK, pick up a rental bike and set out for a couple of weeks, returning to Denver to fly home again. Thinking about a circular route (in a northerly direction) to include Yellowstone, but not sure where else would be good to include in the route, all sugestions welcome please.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

I can't help you with the route but that sounds like a great vacation. Good luck and I hope it comes to pass.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Try these for starters: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Wyoming_126.html

http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle...FY17fgodkT4AgQ

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...ing_-6700.html

You should be able to link some of the routes together for a long trip staying in different places each night or find a single city to do day trip and return to each night.

The American west is a great place with beautiful scenery and great people. Good luck and have fun!!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

I don't even like driving across Wyoming in a car, riding across it is nearly unbearable. All the scenery is in the NW corner of the state.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

I'd take I-25 straight north to Wyoming 14 and go over the Bighorn Mtns. From there it's pretty nice riding all the way over to Yellowstone. Then South out of Yellowstone to the Tetons and Down through Idaho on your way back to Denver.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

+1 to dshelly's suggestion

Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

Friends From The UK !...Wyoming Is A great place to ride...Wonderful WIDE OPEN SPACES !..but what you end up enjoying may be completely dependent on -WEATHER ! mainly WIND..and in September..chilly nights !

A ride out of Denver..do you want the "Super-Slab" (I-25, north to Cheyenne,Casper)..?

Or two lane blacktop's ...(two lane highways can be "isolated" especially on Sundays as for fuel stops etc...but MY Favorites are the two lanes...)

.A route -for me- would be Denver to Walden, Colo...to Saratoga Wyo (sit in the hot springs) on to Rawlins and north to either Casper..or north west to Riverton..and meander on to Yellowstone ... The Dum assed gov. has re-introduced the Grizzy Bear to the area...be aware/when camping ! (and the biggest hand gun, wont stop one of those !)

Editing..I get all excited about riding the Rocky's..done it a lot..flew it a lot..trucked it a lot.

Coming south outa Yellowstone..head into Jackson..where all the holly wood high rollers have moved in.. from there check your road map..for a ride down into the Wasache range of Mt's..and down to Bryce Canyon/Lake Powel and "Color Canyons area around Cedar City/St George....NOW at St George you are only 125 miles from Las Vegas-Boulder Dam (& area 51)
OR outa St George Cedar City area you go on a beautiful ride south east to The Grand Canyon..and east from there back through great riding country towards Denver !

And in the lower end of that ride the temps should be perfect in September !

Dang..I might go along and guide ya ! (if i dont..be sure to ride on the "wrong Side of the roads"..enjoy)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 03-04-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Being from the UK, you may find the wide open spaces of eastern and central WY a joy to ride in. The NW part of the State is where most folks like to ride. But, a word to the wise, you will be riding at a time and elevations where it can and does snow. Even without show, it could be cold in the AM. Check the weather.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

..I was riding my Honda 450 Road-Bike west thru Wyoming on July 7th 1975..and got caught in a BLIZZARD out east of Kemerer, Wyo. was that wet snow..by the time I made the town..I was soaked to the bone ! and freezing, So I stopped at a laundry-mat, and stripped down to my underwear..tossed all my clothing in a dryer..and stood around til my closes dried

By the time they were dry..the sun was out the temp was 65 and climbing and I boogied toward --Death Valley, Calif.

I should add--that due to the starting point of Denver Colo..a ride north thru the Black Hills of South Dakota (Dead Wood, Sturges, Mt Rushmore etc) and turning west past Devils Tower, in North East Wyoming would not be out of the question !

Last edited by Silent Sam; 03-05-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Not sure how many miles you want to travel, but if you have two weeks I would consider heading north to Glacier National Park you could hit Yellowstone on the way up come through the eastside of Glacier down through Great Falls and Billings and head over over toward The Black Hills/Badlands then back down to Denver. I have a friend who did something like this when he went to Sturgis last year. I will see if I can get the route he took.

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Emailed my friend. He is currently snowbirding down in Florida and will be back in Massachusetts the first week of April. He has route, hotels, restaurants and fuel stops from his trip. He did the loop in 13 days and said "The best trip I have taken to date." and would do it again. He has been riding for many years and has ridden coast to coast. So I truly value his opinion.

If you are interested I can get the info from him when he returns in April.

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #12

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...hwest/18087712

No one knows when cold wet weather will hit the Northern Rockies this year. But, it did come early last year. I lived in Logan, UT for 6 years and saw snow at my house (4500 feet) by 9/15 each of those years. And, even if you don't have rain or snow you can bet a lot of $$ you will see some cold (low 20s) temps in the AM. If I were going to spend the $$ to fly from the UK to Denver I would have a Plan A (going north) and Plan B (going South) at the ready.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #13

Yea..Alternating Plans are a good idea ! (however the friends from the UK that I have..are all pretty "Hardy Sort's" and may not be to put-off by a bit of cool weather ! ?)

And it's a fact that a two week ride can take in a wide area !

Old 03-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #14

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpfull. I will certainly take onboard the advice suggestions. The "plan B" is a good idea, we have enough cold and wet weather here, its nice to spend some time in the warmth, so will give some thought to a "southerly" ride too.