Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #76
Mega-Contributor

As I stated earlier the MoCo has to approach innovation very carefully because what more free-thinking riders see as improvement, the long time, loyal HD faithful see as "selling out". Some of these guys wish Harleys still came with kick starters. Personally I wouldn't want to have to kick start a 103 cubic inch engine and I am grateful for electric starters.

So anything new HD does is bound to alienate some of their loyal owners and they are some of the most brand-loyal consumers out there. But improvements such as we see with the 2014's may attract new riders, and that's the juggling act that the MoCo faces. So they piss off the guys who haven't bought a new bike since 1988 in hopes of attracting new owners to the fold. I'm sure other manufacturers wish they had the customer loyalty that Harley has built over the past 110 years, but nobody seems to put the effort into it that Harley does.

The new Indians may be decent bikes (only time will tell), but Polaris is the 5th owner of the brand and it's been 60 years since the original Indians were made. That's several generations of riders who know little, if any of the brand history and the image has evaporated with time.

I think the changes HD introduced this year are positive and shows the MoCo is moving forward. I'd have no problem buying a 2014 Limited today if I was in the market for a new bike. I am extremely satisfied with my decision to buy a Harley 2 1/2 years ago.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Gone is the iconic chrome bumper piece for the front fender.
Yes, it was very noticable on the photos I saw. I have that piece on mine and I quite like it:

I also like the railing around my saddle bags...

Anyways, I wonder how they will mount the radiator to other big twins in the Dyna and Softail family bikes in the future.

Look forward to test riding the precision cooled motor this Fall.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #78
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
As I stated earlier the MoCo has to approach innovation very carefully because what more free-thinking riders see as improvement, the long time, loyal HD faithful see as "selling out". Some of these guys wish Harleys still came with kick starters. Personally I wouldn't want to have to kick start a 103 cubic inch engine and I am grateful for electric starters.

So anything new HD does is bound to alienate some of their loyal owners and they are some of the most brand-loyal consumers out there. But improvements such as we see with the 2014's may attract new riders, and that's the juggling act that the MoCo faces. So they piss off the guys who haven't bought a new bike since 1988 in hopes of attracting new owners to the fold. I'm sure other manufacturers wish they had the customer loyalty that Harley has built over the past 110 years, but nobody seems to put the effort into it that Harley does.

The new Indians may be decent bikes (only time will tell), but Polaris is the 5th owner of the brand and it's been 60 years since the original Indians were made. That's several generations of riders who know little, if any of the brand history and the image has evaporated with time.

I think the changes HD introduced this year are positive and shows the MoCo is moving forward. I'd have no problem buying a 2014 Limited today if I was in the market for a new bike. I am extremely satisfied with my decision to buy a Harley 2 1/2 years ago.
As much as I hate to agree with Scott there is no inaccuracies whatsoever in his statement . I wonder how the "purist" feel about HD when AMF owned them and almost drove them into the ground with really crappy bikes? Companies go through stages and Harley seems to be on board to sail smoothly into the future.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
As much as I hate to agree with Scott....
That had to have hurt!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #80

Get Brad some pain pills!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #81

I truly hope Harley succeeds with its transformation to h2o. Its going to create havoc within its loyal owners but there is always a positive within a negative and time will show it. Either way, water or not the world of motorcycles owes a lot to Harley due to their creations, service to wars and innovations thru the years. They have existed thru good and bad times for 110+yrs. They have created a culture that people flock to even if they don't own one, ride one or plan on having one. Harley is more popular than Heinz 57.
Wow...this coming from Bdog. I design and make many creations for almost every make of bike out there and yes Harley is the most popular bike that roll's thru my shop. Do I own a Harley...no...would I..possibly but the Nomad and a zx11 are fine for me at this time. A new bike will be on the horizon in two yrs from now, not sure what it will be.
Like most of us that have been on VBA for some time we all have a certain amount of ball busting going on. I definitely do my part and yes it is directed at Harleys and Victorys...why??...hell..why not! Easy target on a Kawasaki site.
I have seen many changes in the world of biking thru the past 49 yrs. of riding. Yes the bikes have changed but the people have also changed. Back in the day, comrodery amongst all riders was present because there was few of us. Brand loyalty was there but if another biker was on the side of the road, you would stop and help out. Most of us did our own wrenching too. Today I see new generation of bikers in the past ten yrs that I have termed Visa bikers (instant biker). Harley has created and prospered from them greatly in the last decade. I'm glad to see the world of biking grow but don't care to be in the presence of all talk with little walk from an ever growing culture.
To sum it up...I like all bikes out there...and yes I do my share of ball busting here. I hope no one here has been hurt...not my intentions...Bdog

Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #82

To paraphrase Will Rogers, " I never met a motorcycle I didn't like". Ball busting aside, HD makes some fine motorcycles, just not my style.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #83
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
As much as I hate to agree with Scott there is no inaccuracies whatsoever in his statement . I wonder how the "purist" feel about HD when AMF owned them and almost drove them into the ground with really crappy bikes? Companies go through stages and Harley seems to be on board to sail smoothly into the future.

Of course CJ is right....but Brad.....when I snap my fingers on the count of three......
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
To paraphrase Will Rogers, " I never met a motorcycle I didn't like". Ball busting aside, HD makes some fine motorcycles, just not my style.
That is stated very well. I never meant to bash Harley (only in jest). I am sure they make wonderful bikes. I haven't found one that I am comfortable on though. My comments are more about the riders than the bike. I just laugh when I see accountants and lawyers trying to act tough on the weekend cause they can afford a $30K toy.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
That is stated very well. I never meant to bash Harley (only in jest). I am sure they make wonderful bikes. I haven't found one that I am comfortable on though. My comments are more about the riders than the bike. I just laugh when I see accountants and lawyers trying to act tough on the weekend cause they can afford a $30K toy.
Seems to me you are stereo-typing a bit.

Who then are you stating is NOT playing "pirate" on weekends, and deserves to ride Harley's? Are only blue-collar workers okay to play pirate and ride Harley's?

Seems to me you have a problem with a few types of people. Sour grapes maybe? Seriously...

I know a lot of people riding Harleys who you seem to have a problem with that a great riders, with more skill than others. I also know some not in the group you so seem to despise that are great riders also.

So, I don't get your point of trying to lump an entire group together, and say you only find them on Harley's.

Oh... and by the way... my Harley didn't cost $30k, nor will the next one I buy.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #86

I'm not an accountant or a lawyer and I don't find it necessary to act tough on weekends. Could be the Maryland Harley riders rubbed you wrong but down here the majority of HD riders are fine people who appreciate a fine motorcycle.

Greg, I went by Mike Bruno's today for a test ride but their shipment came in yesterday and they didn't have a Limited finished yet. I looked at a couple that were about 3/4 done. The touchscreen radio is nice, the redesigned fairing looks cool, and the new tourpak wider but a little shorter in height looks really good. The bags have been redesigned to be opened easily with one hand. USB for charging your cellphone with a place to store it securely while charging. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of air flow through the new lowers. That concern may be unfounded but we shall see. Even though he knows I'm not in the market, the sales manager told me to come back when all of the leftover 13's are gone. No good deals until then. Demo rides tomorrow afternoon if the weather holds out. We have a tropical system right off the coast that's dumping a lot of rain.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
I'm not an accountant or a lawyer and I don't find it necessary to act tough on weekends. Could be the Maryland Harley riders rubbed you wrong but down here the majority of HD riders are fine people who appreciate a fine motorcycle.

Greg, I went by Mike Bruno's today for a test ride but their shipment came in yesterday and they didn't have a Limited finished yet. I looked at a couple that were about 3/4 done. The touchscreen radio is nice, the redesigned fairing looks cool, and the new tourpak wider but a little shorter in height looks really good. The bags have been redesigned to be opened easily with one hand. USB for charging your cellphone with a place to store it securely while charging. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of air flow through the new lowers. That concern may be unfounded but we shall see. Even though he knows I'm not in the market, the sales manager told me to come back when all of the leftover 13's are gone. No good deals until then. Demo rides tomorrow afternoon if the weather holds out. We have a tropical system right off the coast that's dumping a lot of rain.
I thought the same thing about the smaller vent; however one might not need as much air-flow now that the engine is supposed to run a bit cooler. We'll see.

I went to Kegel's in Rockford, IL today. They only had one Limited on the showroom floor. It was the Whiskey & Silver color. Not so sure I like that combination compared to the Whiskey and Black. Vivid Black Limiteds list for approx $1,600 less than the two-tone. Black is looking better to me for some reason...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #88

I guess H-D has the most diverse rider population including lawyers and accountants. Maybe that's why even Pope blessed Harley riders on the 110th celebrations.

I thought this is some interesting read. What surprised me the most is in the last paragraph: "Today, there are more international Harley-Davidson dealers than U.S. dealers."

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #89

Quote:
... my Harley didn't cost $30k, nor will the next one I buy.
Quote:
Vivid Black Limiteds list for approx $1,600 less than the two-tone. Black is looking better to me for some reason...
Greg, sounds like the Ultra-Classic's days are numbered

Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #90

I noticed that there's only one antenna. I wonder if the CB is history.