Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Ruptured disk?

MRI results back today & confirmed a ruptured disk between L4 & L5. Dr wants to try steroid injection. Anybody been there, done that?

VBA #01922

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Oldest daughter is having a similar issue with her back. She is still in therapy and possibly looking at a second surgery.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Been there, done that, got the scar.... Well I ended up having to have surgery on that disc. I had to have it, as all other options stopped working. I would definitely recommend steroid shots but also something ( when the Dr. Ok's it ) like yoga. Sounds weird but that has done more to strengthen my back to stop additional than anything else. Willing to discuss more if needed. Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Top Contributor

If it's ruptured/herniated/"slipped", about the only thing that will fix it (relatively) permanently is surgery. There are options that can temporarily alleviate the pain but they aren't permanent. I had surgery on a ruptured disc in '05. Nothing else I tried worked. It's not life threatening surgery (any more than any surgery is) and it was nice to wake up with no pain other than from the incision (which healed pretty quickly).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
MRI results back today & confirmed a ruptured disk between L4 & L5. Dr wants to try steroid injection. Anybody been there, done that?
ruptured or herniated?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #6

I have a friend who has had this treatment. I guess it is a new approach that is tried before resorting to surgery. He was doubtful and assumed he would need surgery, but he is having good success with it. Hope it works as well for you.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
there is a difference between ruptured and herniated. That's why I ask. A truly ruptured disc is not "repairable". Herniations are most of the time.

Steroid injections are anti-imflammatory designed so the herniated disc can work it's way back into the spinal column thus taking pressure off the nerves that travel through the femoral facet joints against your spine.

Ruptured disc usually need to be replaced with an artificial disc or removed and the L4-L5 section fused with bone material from your own body. Sometimes metal cages are needed in severe cases to support the back during recovery.

I'm hoping it's just a herniation.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Last edited by blowndodge; 07-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Rupt or herni, get well soon!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

I'll step-in on this one. I have fought a major problem in my lower back for three years now (and my neck for longer).

BD is correct. If ruptured, I do not see why the doctor would be looking to do steroid shots -- unless he is simply trying to give you some temporary relief.

Steroid shots in any situation is considered a temporary-fix anyway.

I have had over the last three years:
16 steroid shots
12 high-frequency ablations (cauterization of the nerves)
2-hip shots
3 epidurals

One could say I have a bit of experience with pain management. My ailments cannot have surgery... at least yet.

I have had relief after these treatments; however by no means has it entirely eliminated the pain.

If your back is herniated, then as BD stated, you could possibly end-up in good shape. If a rupture... you have something considerably more severe than what steroid shots will "cure".

PM me if you want more details... and good luck to you. A bad back is one of the most devastating things you can have happen to you.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #10

I know a few people who tried the injections and they all ended up having surgery. I have had surgery for a ruptured disk, they took out the fragments and it filled back in with scar tissue. worked great. Good luck what ever way you go.
VBA #1976
Bancroft,Idaho
2012 Electa Glide Classic
2003 Nomad FI(Past)

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

I had the surgery in 1978 L4 L5 and have had a fusion. Haven't had a problem since. I was back bowling in six weeks.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Been through all of this in both my lumbar and cervical spine. If it's ruptured, you will eventually probably have to have surgery. The shots may relieve the pain but will be temporary. Many insurance companies don't cover them because of their temporary nature. If it's not ruptured, find a therapist that practices the Mackenzie method. Though it can be painful in the short term, it is by far the best therapy for restoring your back. I spent 6 months off work 2 of those bedridden until I began the Mackenzie method. I am not a shill and have no interest in any therapy other than those that work. This worked for me. Good luck!

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #13

Thanks for all the responses!

I've had some, what I thought were, minor issues over the past 2 yrs. Low back pain sometimes extending down the left leg. After a lifetime of construction & gym rat'n I figured arthritis was finally catching up. About a year ago I had a pretty rough spell that lasted a couple weeks. That time it went all the way down the leg & my 2 outside toes went a little numb. Dr put me in rehab & that seemed to help. Pain went away but numbness in toes remained. No problem until last week. Picked beans in the garden & the pain came back big time. Finally got in to see the Dr this AM. He did the xray & exam & sent me immediately for an MRI. He called my wife this afternoon & said the MRI showed a ruptured disk. He didn't say herniated. He wants to "try" steroid shots 1st. When I got home it was too late to call back so I'll be talking to him in the AM. This is a new thing for me & I was wondering what other people's experiences have been. I know one thing, that pain is a mofo from he!! & I'm not one who likes to stay drugged up!

Thanks again for all the responses!!

VBA #01922

Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #14

Two herniated discs and a broken tailbone in 1996 and I've avoided surgery thus far. Firm believer in a good chiropractor and steroid shots. I've even tried the machine that stretches you and it worked well. I still have some issues but it's better than being cut on in my opinion. Good luck with whatever treatment you decide.
VBA #01900
VROC #25609
F.A.I.T.H. Riders (Central Baptist Church, Lawton)
MSF Rider Coach

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

I've had some, what I thought were, minor issues over the past 2 yrs. Low back pain sometimes extending down the left leg. After a lifetime of construction & gym rat'n I figured arthritis was finally catching up. About a year ago I had a pretty rough spell that lasted a couple weeks. That time it went all the way down the leg & my 2 outside toes went a little numb. Dr put me in rehab & that seemed to help. Pain went away but numbness in toes remained. No problem until last week. Picked beans in the garden & the pain came back big time. Finally got in to see the Dr this AM. He did the xray & exam & sent me immediately for an MRI. He called my wife this afternoon & said the MRI showed a ruptured disk. He didn't say herniated. He wants to "try" steroid shots 1st. When I got home it was too late to call back so I'll be talking to him in the AM. This is a new thing for me & I was wondering what other people's experiences have been. I know one thing, that pain is a mofo from he!! & I'm not one who likes to stay drugged up!

Thanks again for all the responses!!
Ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon specializing in spine surgery; unless that is what your Dr is.

If the Dr is an ortho; then apparently they are trying to give temp relief and some reduction of inflammation (which is what steroids do).

Just know... if it works any at all... it will be temporary and not immediate.

Ruptures need surgical help. Good luck to you.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417