Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

touchupdirect?

Has any one used this brand of touch up paint? Looks like about half of what colorite wants. $57.90 for a Aerosol Premium Package compared to $115.60 for colorites.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&s=automotive

https://touchupdirect.com/motorcycle-paint.html

Does any one know if a single can of spray paint will do an outer shell of a reckless fairing?

Thanks All
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I am guessing yes, one spray can should be enough.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

That's still a lot of money for a rattle can.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
That's still a lot of money for a rattle can.
Not just a rattle can it looks like everything you need. Just a rattle can of color is $31.95.

"Premium Package includes TouchUpDirect Primer, TouchUpDirect Clear Coat, a Wax and Grease Remover Wipe for surface prep, and one pair of latex gloves one Tack Rag, Rubbing Compund Packet, 3M Sandpaper Combo Pack, and 3M tape. This package enables the perfectionist in you to make sure your repair looks factory original! Meets all requirements for our Color Match Guaruntee."
VBA #01448
*the coolest colors*

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I don't see the Arsenate green for my 99. Oh well..........

One of the problems I've found over the years with canned paints is they don't have the hardener in them like a true automotive paint. They never seem to cure as well and are prone to scratching. I've had a few cans done up for me to use for touchups on my pickup and boat. It matched well but didn't hold as well as I had hoped.

Then again they were exposed to Arizona sun and that'll break down just about anything.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
I don't see the Arsenate green for my 99. Oh well..........

One of the problems I've found over the years with canned paints is they don't have the hardener in them like a true automotive paint. They never seem to cure as well and are prone to scratching. I've had a few cans done up for me to use for touchups on my pickup and boat. It matched well but didn't hold as well as I had hoped.

Then again they were exposed to Arizona sun and that'll break down just about anything.
We do have the Arsenate Green, we just don't have it listed on our site just yet.

Regarding the hardener issue you mention, most automotive paints do not actually have hardener in them. Most are actually base coat/clearcoat applications with a hardener in the clearcoat. Our standard packages come with our standard clearcoat which is fine product with excellent gloss. But we also offer a spraycan with a catalyzed clearcoat. It's a 2 component system that's very user friendly and that's UV resistant, catalyzed clear.

I found you guys because I happened to see someone on our website today from this forum. I hope you don't mind me piping in, but we like to answer questions and inform people as best as possible. There's more than one choice in motorcycle paint now and we try to offer great customer service and a premium product.

Thanks,
Uri
TouchUpDirect

Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Well, I like the price... I want to paint my side covers and helmet to match the beige from 2002...one can should suffice I believe.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

We like choices!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchUpDirect View Post
We do have the Arsenate Green, we just don't have it listed on our site just yet.

Regarding the hardener issue you mention, most automotive paints do not actually have hardener in them. Most are actually base coat/clearcoat applications with a hardener in the clearcoat. Our standard packages come with our standard clearcoat which is fine product with excellent gloss. But we also offer a spraycan with a catalyzed clearcoat. It's a 2 component system that's very user friendly and that's UV resistant, catalyzed clear.

I found you guys because I happened to see someone on our website today from this forum. I hope you don't mind me piping in, but we like to answer questions and inform people as best as possible. There's more than one choice in motorcycle paint now and we try to offer great customer service and a premium product.

Thanks,
Uri
TouchUpDirect
The paint I was referring to in the post was a single stage with hardener. Should've been more specific. Thanks for your response and good to see that you've got my colors too. I'm no painter and despite having all the gear needed my results have been lackluster to say the least. I can actually get a better looking finish with a can than with the compressor, clean hoses, decent gun, and air filter/drier.

I'm unclear as to how your 2 part catalyzed clear coat would work in a spray can? Does the lack of air keep it from hardening/curing in the spray can?

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 03-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Well, I like the price... I want to paint my side covers and helmet to match the beige from 2002...one can should suffice I believe.
You may need two for 2 side covers and a helmet...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
The paint I was referring to in the post was a single stage with hardener. Should've been more specific. Thanks for your response and good to see that you've got my colors too. I'm no painter and despite having all the gear needed my results have been lackluster to say the least. I can actually get a better looking finish with a can than with the compressor, clean hoses, decent gun, and air drier.

I'm unclear as to how your 2 part catalyzed clear coat would work in a spray can? Does the lack of air keep it from hardening/curing in the spray can?
The product I'm referring to is this: https://touchupdirect.com/paint-acce...lear-coat.html

The can is activated by pressing a button on the bottom. After activation is does have a limited pot life, but with this can you can achieve a catalyzed, original paint quality finish.

But, to be frank, this high grade of clearcoat isn't always necessary. We really only recommend it for applications like fuel tanks where gas could get on the finish. Otherwise, our standard clearcoat is excellent and we also have one upgrade from there too in the SprayMax 1k.

We've done a lot of research on our product offerings and while our company is fairly new, we have been in the paint business for many years. We thought is was time for someone to offer factory quality paints at reasonable prices. If any of you have any questions or comments, we are open and eager for input.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
The product I'm referring to is this: https://touchupdirect.com/paint-acce...lear-coat.html

The can is activated by pressing a button on the bottom. After activation is does have a limited pot life, but with this can you can achieve a catalyzed, original paint quality finish.

But, to be frank, this high grade of clearcoat isn't always necessary. We really only recommend it for applications like fuel tanks where gas could get on the finish. Otherwise, our standard clearcoat is excellent and we also have one upgrade from there too in the SprayMax 1k.

We've done a lot of research on our product offerings and while our company is fairly new, we have been in the paint business for many years. We thought is was time for someone to offer factory quality paints at reasonable prices. If any of you have any questions or comments, we are open and eager for input.

Thanks
So maybe you should be a new VBA Authorized Sponsor and offer us a discount to get your product out.
I for one could use a free sample (KAW062 Metallic Ocean Blue 726 and KAW058 Neutron Silver Metallic Tricoat 17N )
Enough to do a tour pack and batwing faring would be great
I promise to do a a write up and include pics and all
VBA #01448
*the coolest colors*

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #13

I'm already sending referrals to you from another forum. As I said, we like options!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
So maybe you should be a new VBA Authorized Sponsor and offer us a discount to get your product out.
I for one could use a free sample (KAW062 Metallic Ocean Blue 726 and KAW058 Neutron Silver Metallic Tricoat 17N )
Enough to do a tour pack and batwing faring would be great
I promise to do a a write up and include pics and all
Well I'd like to be able to send you some free paint, but we're a pretty young company and we're really trying to break into the market with excellent product and fair pricing. If you compare us to our competitors you'll find us substantially less costly and I can assure you the product sprays better (MUCH nicer nozzle), has better coverage, and excellent color match.

We stand behind our product as well...if you have a problem with one of our products we'll help you fix it.

I really appreciate the referrals and comments everyone. We're revamping our website backend right now but perhaps when it's done we'll be able to a discount code for VulcanBagger forum.

Thanks,
Uri

Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's pretty clever. Never seen that before.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 03-14-2013 at 09:32 PM.