Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
Dont relocate the ATS on the stock bike. I did it to my 2011 Nomad and had problems being to rich especialy in high altitude. Bike had no power to climb hills. I also have a K&N filter. Also droped 4 mpg and got only 27 mpg in the black hills of SD.
Was the drop in mileage due to the K&N or the ATS relocation? Sorry, got lost there
2006 Anniversary Edition R1 - Bumblebee
Never Understimate Willpower

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRod View Post
Was the drop in mileage due to the K&N or the ATS relocation? Sorry, got lost there
No. I didn't have the K&N then. I just got the K&N. Mileage is back to normal with or without the K&N. Can't really tell any diferance in performance with the K&N. Just dont have to buy filters anymore.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #138
Advanced Member

Would tightening the adjustment of the throttle cable would act the same way as this mod
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #139
Top Contributor

No. The throttle mod opens the throttle body more with less turn of the wrist. Thats all it does.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #140

Basically the "mod" is to increase the diameter of the spool that your throttle cable winds up on when you twist the grip. That means that more cable is pulled when you twist your grip. So before, when you twisted the grip halfway around your throttle would have been half wide open, after the mod same halfway twist gets the throttle to wide open. It doesn't really make the bike any faster or better running, but it does make it "feel" like it goes faster with less throttle.
It's one of those mods that is very simple, changes nothing important to the bikes mechanical working but produces a nice sensation that you bike is "quicker".
As far as moving the air temp sensor, that is just one of many approaches to fool your bike's fuel injection into thinking that it needs a richer mixture. The air out front of the bike is colder (generally) than what is in the air box next to the engine. Colder air is dense and hence has more oxygen so the FI sends more fuel to use that oxygen. And because our bike start out lean making them run richer (to a point) improves their drivability.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #141

Has anyone tried this one out yet? I looks like a cheaper and just as effective alternative. http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31473
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #142

RacnRay Throttle Mod

After owning 9 BMWs in the last 30 years, I recently purchased a Vaquero. What a bike! Looks aggressive and what a babe magnet. The only issue i had was jerking during low rpm maneuvers. It was so bad I would have to hold the clutch in when turning for fear that darn thing would jerk me into oncoming traffic. After reading your comments about RacnRay throttle mod, I was biking to Orlando from New Orleans and paid him a visit.
After the install, it was like a new bike. All the previous shout-outs were right on the money; quicker response and less jerking. With that being said, the bike still occasionally jerks, but nothing compared to before. Now, if I could just find a similar modification for the wife, I think I would have heaven on earth.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #143
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingon4u View Post
After owning 9 BMWs in the last 30 years, I recently purchased a Vaquero. What a bike! Looks aggressive and what a babe magnet. The only issue i had was jerking during low rpm maneuvers. It was so bad I would have to hold the clutch in when turning for fear that darn thing would jerk me into oncoming traffic. After reading your comments about RacnRay throttle mod, I was biking to Orlando from New Orleans and paid him a visit.
After the install, it was like a new bike. All the previous shout-outs were right on the money; quicker response and less jerking. With that being said, the bike still occasionally jerks, but nothing compared to before. Now, if I could just find a similar modification for the wife, I think I would have heaven on earth.
My condolences.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #144

I haven't experienced the lag on the vaquero as of yet as I'm supposed to pick the bike up this weekend, but how difficult is the install? I'm interested in purchasing the black kuryakyns with the mod done but I've never installed grips before. I've done oil changes, pipes, scoot works pulley on a 900... things like that. Anyway, just curious if novices like me can get Rays mod done relatively easy.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
I haven't experienced the lag on the vaquero as of yet as I'm supposed to pick the bike up this weekend, but how difficult is the install? I'm interested in purchasing the black kuryakyns with the mod done but I've never installed grips before. I've done oil changes, pipes, scoot works pulley on a 900... things like that. Anyway, just curious if novices like me can get Rays mod done relatively easy.
Not hard at all as I send out the grips with complete instructions on removal and reassembly...I will PM you the details.

RACNRAY

Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingon4u View Post
after owning 9 bmws in the last 30 years, i recently purchased a vaquero. What a bike! Looks aggressive and what a babe magnet. The only issue i had was jerking during low rpm maneuvers. It was so bad i would have to hold the clutch in when turning for fear that darn thing would jerk me into oncoming traffic. After reading your comments about racnray throttle mod, i was biking to orlando from new orleans and paid him a visit.
After the install, it was like a new bike. All the previous shout-outs were right on the money; quicker response and less jerking. With that being said, the bike still occasionally jerks, but nothing compared to before. Now, if i could just find a similar modification for the wife, i think i would have heaven on earth.
Great...glad to hear!! THANX

RACNRAY

Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #147

OK, I just traded my 11 Vaquero in on a new Voyager. My question is weather Rays throttle mod will be beneficial on the 13 or 14 1700's with the electric throttle?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelpreacher View Post
OK, I just traded my 11 Vaquero in on a new Voyager. My question is weather Rays throttle mod will be beneficial on the 13 or 14 1700's with the electric throttle?
All the 1700's are "electric throttle" as you call it. The correct term is "ride by wire" The same lag is in all the 1700's regardless of year.

RACNRAY

Old 04-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #149

Just installed Ray's throttle mod (Avon Grips) and am adding my "shout out" for this mod. My Vaq gave me fits in parking lots with its incessantly jerking on-off throttle. There was just no way to ride smoothly at slow speed without feathering the clutch constantly. Thanks Ray for a mod that has really made a positive difference! Oh yea, and the installation instructions were excellent.
VBA#02576

Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
All the 1700's are "electric throttle" as you call it. The correct term is "ride by wire" The same lag is in all the 1700's regardless of year.

RACNRAY

Can you pm me on how to order. Thanks, Larry G