Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Beginning of a project or start of a great big mess??

My battery recently went dead on me . So i ordered one offline. When it arrived I put it on the bike but it wouldn't start. I recalled that when I took the old battery out there was a connector attached to the negative post (or was it the positrive post) that didnt have a wire attached to it? Could this be my problem? Well having the Techlusuion fuel injection controller installed on my bike when I bought it I was always leering about how it was connected(with wire cimps not solder). So I decided I would rectify that. Well it would be a lot easier to remove the fuel tank and make sure I've traced down all the wires correctly. Once removing the fuel tank , I had a vision , why not do a total off frame paint job. That way I can get all the engine work I need done completed(i.e. draining the coolant system, adding the chain tensioner extentions), sandblast and paint my frame, gas tank and fenders, polish up all my chrome pieces, remove my rear seat, pasenger back rest, drivers backrest passenger grab rails(going for the Lone rider look and feel),add a rear luggage rack to the back fender to match the racks on the saddlebags.

Now would be a great time to replace my saddle bag handles. and switch over to my new Avon grips as well.

Needless to say. I'm sure my bike is down for the remainder of the year. Any comments, suggestions, or hotline numbers to a psych ward self help institution?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

The truth is you should have found and fixed the problem first.... I strongly suggest you put most everything back and find and fix that problem, before you are in new paint, and new most everything and the engine STILL won't run once you put it back in the frame! LOL

Any time any one does this always the engine work is first.

I just love guys like pro painters who also paint all the wires, after the wires have been torn from where ever they go.

I just love that sort of work.

Better when a customer who wants paint has changed every blasted wire there is to all one color! Yeah last time it was every single wire in a Willies in bright yellow.... Every last wire was the same color (I just have to say these things twice sometimes for impact), there was 6 new after market fuse boxes, every gauge known to man on a stainless steel dash reminded me of a big fancy industrial for a hospital dish washer!

And guess what? With the keys in the guys pocket that rig would suck a new battery dead over night! Just wonderful!

Well I found the problem as the tach was wired hot ALL the time, bu the not the tach light.

AND i found the whole top was still in red primer not bronze metal flake brown!

WHOOOOOOOOOOO WAUGH! not my problem! (evil grin) we need more EMO's!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #3

I haven't taken anything other than the Fuel tank off, but I think you are right and thank you for your input.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Good do that and make sure it is working as it ALL should be..... I have done this before as a Pro and for myself... When i do it as a Pro I do it as if it were for myself. Something most pros will not do.

Take pics...... take notes..

As things come apart like the bolts in cover which are NOT the same, use things like pizza boxes to be holders.

You draw a cruse pic of the cover say and then where each bolt is, and as you remove these bolts one by one you place them and tape then into place, or your life will be living HELL later!

Some of these bolts that are DIFFERENT are only different by less than 10mm's apx 3/8th inch!

You put a too short on in a hole later and it will tear out threads..... You put a too long one in a short hole and you will break or crack something impossible to buy or replace.

Make that a habit.

With smaller things where you suspect spring and smaller parts than a dime work over a old white bed sheet, even if the floor in the shop is nice. Little things like that bounce and fly so fast it's hard to find them again if you ever do.

You can take my advice now, or maybe pay me later! WAUGH

I rather doubt i will come to Tx for a road call though..... I might but it would cost ya...

I do this for local guys in a bad place sometimes, but i still get paid, because fixing tings is what i do to earn a living. usually things come to me, but if they can't and the problem is big and i get to stay where ever the broken item is i might....

But i don't just go around the country doing this, as much as some people think i might.

Wires label all wires!!!!!!!!!! many things have very close wire connector ends under the left side engine cover and even before that deep into the engine removal. It is critical you can re-locate these accurately and in order.

Some cross from right to left, other from left to right and of course up and down...

With that engine cover off take a real hard look and some pictures of HOW these wires law.........

So far just once I put that cover on and it seemed fine, but i pinched a very very hot wire to the ALT, which blew the main fuse instantly, but was very embarrassing for me in a personal way.
That happened because i did NOT pay enough attention to detail!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

I agree that you should find the problem and get it running right before you go any further. Its no use in getting it painted if you have to keep taking it apart.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Old Biker sayin' was skin heals paint don't....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

WOW. Sounds like a big project that will be great with a good chance of being a bit of a mess do to the big part. It will be some thing to be proud of when it is finished. Good luck.
Thanks for your time

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPE View Post
My battery recently went dead on me . So i ordered one offline. When it arrived I put it on the bike but it wouldn't start. I recalled that when I took the old battery out there was a connector attached to the negative post (or was it the positrive post) that didnt have a wire attached to it? Could this be my problem? Well having the Techlusuion fuel injection controller installed on my bike when I bought it I was always leering about how it was connected(with wire cimps not solder). So I decided I would rectify that. Well it would be a lot easier to remove the fuel tank and make sure I've traced down all the wires correctly. Once removing the fuel tank , I had a vision , why not do a total off frame paint job. That way I can get all the engine work I need done completed(i.e. draining the coolant system, adding the chain tensioner extentions), sandblast and paint my frame, gas tank and fenders, polish up all my chrome pieces, remove my rear seat, pasenger back rest, drivers backrest passenger grab rails(going for the Lone rider look and feel),add a rear luggage rack to the back fender to match the racks on the saddlebags.

Now would be a great time to replace my saddle bag handles. and switch over to my new Avon grips as well.

Needless to say. I'm sure my bike is down for the remainder of the year. Any comments, suggestions, or hotline numbers to a psych ward self help institution?
Monkeyman??? Chris is this you? Did you get another Nomad?

TGPE just talk to Monkeyman, I am sure he can help you with all the above
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Monkeyman??? Chris is this you? Did you get another Nomad?

TGPE just talk to Monkeyman, I am sure he can help you with all the above
I get it. Late night humor. I learned my lesson. There are a couple things I'd like to add to my Vision over the winter but no actual "projects". More power to someone who wants to push the envelope. Without those willing to modify their bikes, everyone would be riding bone stock motorcycles, cars, etc. Innovation comes from everywhere.

TGPE --- I concur with everyone else. Make sure you fix the mechanical/electrical problem first, then fill ya boots!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #10

Thank you guys for all the input I'm makling notes as I gop along and every little bit helps. So far I've did more sitting and looking and reading than actually wrenching and touching , but i'm sure it will be beneficial in the end. Also looking to go to the darkside, Yep in need of a rear tire as well and want to put the balancing kit on my shocks as well. Will keep everyone posted.

Once again thanks to all and stay safe out there!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Finally got the bike started but the engine has a real nasty miss to it. Iecorded the engine sound on my pghone,but I don't know how to post it to the forum. I plan on running a can of Seafoam through the tank to see if that clears up the problem . If not. I guess its a trip to the engine doctor.