Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
If a hard seat is better why do some people use air cushions, gel pads and sheepskin on their seats ?
The best thing Ann and I did for comfort was put sheepskin pads on. They not only make the seat a little softer, but the wool puts an air cushion between you and the seat itself. No issue with monkeybutt after a full day in the saddle (600 miles plus).

Another thing I did was put a utopia backrest on and adjustable pegs. I can stretch my legs out either with my heels on top of the pegs, or heel/toe with the floorboards ... Or just use them normally. The multiple footrest options also helps on the longer rides.

I've also discovered that I can lock my knees on the pegs and prop myself up off the seat against the backrest just enough while I'm going down the road to give my keister a rest.

With this setup I don't feel the need to sit further back too often, and I'm still comfortable.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #17

The aftermarket seats for these bikes really suck for what you pay for them - brand new is like buying a small couch - LOL. They raise the height, push you forward, etc, etc - at those prices these seats should be comfortable at all points in the ride??

Has anyone tried Harley seats? May take some slight modification to install i guess. As always there seem to be more options there and there might be something for different height/weight and preferences

Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #18

Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Mustang does not make tailor made seats, Daylong does. Tell Daylong what you want and they will make it.
Yep..they custom make whatever you want. BUT you'll need to send in the passenger seat so they can shorten it too. If you can do the ride-in they can do it sameday and you're there to measure.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #19

Thanks for all the feedback it seems that unless you go custom there is currently no seat that moves the rider back.

Has anyone tried the Kawasaki Gel seat? I dont usually like gel seats but the cut of the seat looks different and I can not find anyone local who has one to see if there is a difference.

I am in the Hard Seat camp, this comes from thousands of miles on bicycles. Most people like the feel of a softer the seat while in the show room but over the long haul I have found more comfort with a stiff saddle.

Now if I could just find a local bike with a Corbin to try before getting out the carving knife.

Again thanks for the information

Greg
08' 1600 Nomad
02' ST1100
95' R100GSPD