Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #46

Great thread thanks all - especially Mac for the answers & Bull for the questions.

I'll face a few questions of my own now... either when the credit card bill arrives in the mailbox or my new Dobeck TFI 2050ST from Amazon lands on the doorstep. [sigh]

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
Advanced Member

Well, I just got the K&N last night by UPS. Put it in, coming into work the bike did seem much stronger, but that may have to do with me cleaning out the Throats. Might also be because I was kicking it down harder and being more aggressive than usual, to try it out.

Will tell in time, as I check MPG every fill up (iPhone App) to see if I get better mileage, which I sure hope so.

Peg, while you are on here, you have anything to say to TC?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #48
Sr. Contributor

My MPG reports are based on all stock parts and no gps corrections, no speedo corrections.

For the the last year June to June things for me were really Fubarred.... And only weeks ago did i mount a used gps on the bike.

The figures I do use are also based on filling up once time and burning off all that fuel to first flicker of the yellow warning light. I do not ride with that light ON. Either I get fuel before 178 miles which is about where that light comes on , or i get fuel asap after first flicker.

The fuel pump IS cooled in fuel inside the tank and I have no wishes to ever buy one.

This is no guarantee, but at least it is not hoping so, which is what running a pump with out cooling is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
Advanced Member

Well, gather around little doggies, and Pappy is going to tell you a story that happened the other day.

The other day, the light came on while going to work. It's 20 mile round trip, gas stations in only a few places here in the 'burgh. Figured I get gas on the way home from work. So, after work get on bike, head home. Get close to the station by my house, see I still have one (1) hash mark left, so it can't be ALL that bad, right? Told myself I'd fill up in the morning on the way to work, like I always do.

Next morning, my alarm clock (wife) is off on vacation, so she doesn't wake me up until late. I jump up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head and out the door. Halfway to work as I'm flying along, look down and see the amber light. Damn, already past the last gas station. Oh well, still have one (1) hash mark left, can't be that bad, right? Will fill up on the way home.....

Get out of work, start heading home. About a mile from work, on the freeway HOV lane, bike shudders, stutters and gasps. Yep, it's out of gas! But I say's to myself: "Self, how can you be completely out of gas, I still have one (1) hash mark left? Surely those Jap engineers would let you got past the last hash mark, before you're REALLY out of gas, right?"

Well, they didn't. Still had about 3 miles to go, up hill, before I reach the pinnacle and can coast from there down to a gas station. I start whipping the bike back and forth, trick I learned on my old bikes, to splash any gas left over the frame member to the other side of the tank, to where the pump is. Yep, it works, bike takes off.....for about 3 blocks distance. Keep doing this for the next 3 miles, uphill, after about every 3 blocks distance.

Made it up the hill, coasted in neutral down the hill to the station and filled up.

Morale of the story? That old bikes are better, with having a manual Petcock, where you would flip it over to reserve and just drive it to the gas station!

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #50
Sr. Contributor

Don't ever do that again..... unless a 500 dollar fuel pump and time are plain easy to come by.

I did that just once but on purpose.

And forget the stupid blocks, please just forget they are there at all... Set that trip meter each time you get gas and get gas at a fixed number or before. My fixed number is 178 miles.

If i had my way there would be no stupid gas gauge, but there would be 2 trip meters.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #51
Advanced Member

I hear you, Mac. I'm a good man and husband, so I'm saying it's my wife's fault for not waking me up! God forbid, I take the responsibility here!

I can only go 130 miles on trip.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #52
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I hear you, Mac. I'm a good man and husband, so I'm saying it's my wife's fault for not waking me up! God forbid, I take the responsibility here!

I can only go 130 miles on trip.
Damnned stock Nomad... See right there i get gas at 178 miles or less.... I can go past 178 sometimes if i be a good boy and ride like granny wants.

i almost always have my bride as pillion too, and think the bike is squirrely with out her.

I agree this is all to blame on your wife too!

My wife and I play that game in public, you should see the looks I get for that ! LOL

Just last Sunday we rode the kanc and hit light mist. I insisted to out on rain gear and then that was way hot, but we rode into N Woodstock that way, and sat on a curb to get it off. There were tourists of course and i was at "I Told YOU So I told you it would not RAIN! over and over in a way to demote my grinning bride who knew i was wrong and was the true source of us being over dressed.

In NH if you don't like the weatha' you just wait a minute.

Now my wife knew she wanted to marry a knuckel dragger and that's exactly what she did.

A few years ago I joked about getting pics of soaking my tomahawks in the toilet, as a wife training tool. That was pretty funny for some.....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac