Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Advanced Member

new Windshield for the Vaquero

Just got done ordering a new Kawasaki 14" shield along with the chrome "windshield cover", windshield damper, 5 each 6x30mm bolts and 5 each of the washers. Everything I need to hopefully make a dramatic reduction in wind noise and turbulance behind the fairing. Hopefully this will enable me to hear the radio better at highway speeds also, i believe it will by cutting down on windnoise. I ordered everything from Ron ayers. I was going to take a list of everything over to my local dealership where I bought the bike and ask them if they could match the price...but...I'm 99% sure they would have said no, their prices are always high, so I said screw it, l want to get it ordered and in route. Hopefully I ordered the right height shield. I know the description says it is 4" lower then the stock voyager shield and we took about that much off of Bears (buddy of mine) when we cut his shield down. A few weeks back i was at bears and sitting on his bike and if i remember correctly his shield height was about right for me. So, guess we'll see in a week or so.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

I'm 5'11" and used the string and level method to determine windscreen height and my line of sight was at the 14" windscreen height. I don't want to look through a screen or have one near my sight line so I ended up going with the Cee Baileys 11" dark grey, it's made for a great reduction in wind noise and turbulence. I wasn't having problems hearing my tunes, I always wear full face helmets and custom earplugs, that combination cuts most of the wind noise out letting me hear exhaust and music easily, adding the windscreen was just gravy...

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-24-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: edited to add second image...

Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Advanced Member

thanks for the response darkstar. I'm 6' tall myself, right there with ya, and hoping the 14" will work for me. If not I can always cut it down a little but from what i saw on my buddies voyager with cut down shield i think it will work. That tinted shield looks great on your bike, love the red vaqueros.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

I am 6'9" and have the 14" shield as well. Works perfect for me. That waste of time that comes stock is a joke.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Top Contributor

At 5'10" the stock shield (16") on the Voyager is about 4 inches too high for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Exact quote I got from a salesman in a dealership: "I don't know who decided what size windshield to put on the Vaquero and Voyager. Every customer I've had look at them says the Vaquero windshield is useless and the Voyager windshield is too tall." LOL. I cut mine already, and want it shorter, but I think I'm gonna wait on Klock Works to release the Flare Windshield

Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

Just got my 16.5 Clearview Shield in a day ago and love it. 5'10 and I can see well over it and it still knocks the wind down.
VBA #01900
VROC #25609
F.A.I.T.H. Riders (Central Baptist Church, Lawton)
MSF Rider Coach