Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Vaquero "Rattle"

Rode about 200 miles today, and the last 10 I am cruising down highway at 65 and start hearing a rattle...over the stereo. It was severe enough that I let off throttle, tapped brakes, still slowing weaved a little to "feel" wheels, everything seemed solid, and noise quit.

As I accelerated, the noise came back, somewhat sporadic. Seems like happens more on acceleration, but also some while holding speed, but always stops of let off throttle. Some of the comments I have read here made me think about the chrome ring around the ignition, and it seemed that if I pushed hard on that the rattle would stop... If it isn't this piece I don't know what else could be except to take fairing off and look inside.

I can't imagine how this plastic ring could make this much noise, and why it just started. I popped it off, and put back in, still rattle on short test drive. WTH?????

I had pulled this ring one other time to install a tankbib. and that was at least 1500 miles ago, so don't think has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

VBA #01898

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

I heard that rattle, and it turned out that my left front brake caliper was working loose, and damn near fell off. Nary a drop of threadlocker. Check yours!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
I heard that rattle, and it turned out that my left front brake caliper was working loose, and damn near fell off. Nary a drop of threadlocker. Check yours!
Just checked both sides, they are solid as a rock.

VBA #01898

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

My Voyager does it too. Kinda sporadically. Mine is definitely the tank trim. I have read on other forums that some people have gotten rid of it by adding foam insulation (weatherstripping) to the underside.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

I get a "screeching" noise when Celine Dion is on the radio, but apart from that no problems on the voyager yet.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #6

Don't know if the vaqueros have the same plastic chrome covers on each side of the rear fender as the nomad. I had to remove mine and put some silicon in between then replace. This did wonders for that crazy little rattle coming from the rear of the bike.