Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #11

WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
I'm an ATGATT guy, and survived a life altering wreck because of it.

I believe one doesn't dress for the ride, one dresses for the crash. If you think your gear can appropriately protect you at the level you plan to operate, then go for it. My level of protection needs don't change with the weather. Thankfully, I live at a time when comfortable, stylish gear is available for all weather types so I'm ATGATT regardless the temp.

We really aren't wearing the gear for ourselves anyway. We're wearing the gear to protect our loved ones from the risks WE take with our choice of hobby. No, ATGATT can't protect you for every conceivable accident, but if you've never seen the suffering the friends and families must endure after a loved one has wrecked then you'll never understand. I find ways to wear ATGATT for my wife and family, not for me.

I've got a range of gear from leather to mesh, wet to dry, hot to cold, heavy to light... you name it. Before I ride I figure out what will best meet my needs for the day/ride/trip (whatever) and I put it on and go. The market is deep with choices and highly competitive so -IMHO- any reason anybody can come up with for not wearing the gear is simply BS. C'mon, it's 2012 and the manufacturers have effectively covered every single objection known to man; fashion, fit, comfort, price, value, size, etc, etc, etc. In their effort to make a buck, they've worked around every excuse anyone has ever made or could ever dream up.

Before anyone thinks this is some kind of nagging lecture to wear gear, know this -- I don't give a shit about whether or not anybody else wears anything. I rode about 28 years before I actually needed ATGATT but now because of it I get to keep on riding. And that's a pretty good deal in my book.

Your mileage may vary.

Kevin
Sure sounded like a nagging lecture ;-)

Last edited by schoeney; 02-28-2012 at 02:23 AM.