Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Chinese rebuilding the USA

ABC news reported this.

Click here: U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms | Video - ABC News
(Sorry, but there's a short commercial at the start.)

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

U.S.A had better open their eyes before its too late!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Well isn't that just great? I hope we are holding their craftsmanship and materials to OUR standards. Chinese quality control is non-existent. Their standards are not the same as ours, or most of the Western World, for that matter.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Not to hijack, but the company I work for expanded into China several years ago. Now we have to hire Chinese workers. We needed another person on our team, and we were told we could hire someone from Shanghai or Shenzhen, where we have large offices. They have people with the educational tools to do the job, but they are 15 hours ahead of us time-wise and they only work 9-5 Mon-Fri. A lot of the work we have to do happens during off hours and on weekends. They are of no use to us because they don't work weekends. They can help us with weekday after hours work though.

Here's an example of the problems we face...let's say I need to assign our guy in China something to do, so I email him during my work day. He comes on after I've gone home and sends me a reply in the middle of his day. I'm sound asleep, so I don't see his reply until I get into the office the next morning, when he's at home for the night. I reply to him, and he doesn't see it until he comes in...yada yada yada. It's a huge waste of time trying to get certain things coordinated. I was told we can hire 3-4 people in China for what it costs for someone at my salary level here. It's almost impossible to justify hiring American workers because the Chinese will work for so much less, and the quality of their work is acceptable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Obama says he's gonna fix that.......<cough>

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

I just found out that our towns bus service was awarded to a French company, and our hwy 407 toll road was sold to a Spanish company years ago.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Not to hijack, but the company I work for expanded into China several years ago. Now we have to hire Chinese workers. We needed another person on our team, and we were told we could hire someone from Shanghai or Shenzhen, where we have large offices. They have people with the educational tools to do the job, but they are 15 hours ahead of us time-wise and they only work 9-5 Mon-Fri. A lot of the work we have to do happens during off hours and on weekends. They are of no use to us because they don't work weekends. They can help us with weekday after hours work though.

Here's an example of the problems we face...let's say I need to assign our guy in China something to do, so I email him during my work day. He comes on after I've gone home and sends me a reply in the middle of his day. I'm sound asleep, so I don't see his reply until I get into the office the next morning, when he's at home for the night. I reply to him, and he doesn't see it until he comes in...yada yada yada. It's a huge waste of time trying to get certain things coordinated. I was told we can hire 3-4 people in China for what it costs for someone at my salary level here. It's almost impossible to justify hiring American workers because the Chinese will work for so much less, and the quality of their work is acceptable.
It's a big world. In the early 80s I had crews in Algeria, Ireland, Mexico and Taiwan simultaneously. Radio teletype was my email back then which was replaced by FAX. An evening phone call about 8PM from Taiwan was the norm. Remember, back then the evening rate was $2-$3 a minute for long distance calls to Taiwan. No cell phones. You had to wait by a landline when expecting a call. The difference between then and now is everyone expects instant results because of instant communication. Time zones and sleep are a mere annoyance. I now work for a Company that spans three time zones and that's enough for me.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
With all the money we owe the Chinese guess it is only fair to let them take our jobs. They will own us one day anyway as we won't be able to pay them all the money we owe them.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #9

I have to always question anything that the Big-3 media outlets offer for news, but this time I think they have stuck their noses deep in the abyss of our countries "deals" made behind closed doors.

Doesn't it seem a bit fishy that a primarily Democratic state has allowed this to happen? They know damn well why this is happening and there isn't anything they can do about it -- period. In fact, the "Dems" are right in the middle of this whole mess along with every other politician. They will blame anyone but themselves -- just watch.

The deals our government has been making "behind closed-doors" with China is in return to keep having them buy our junk-bonds (Treasuries).

What I have just stated may sound far-fetched to some; but don't bet against it.

Our country has been on the selling-block for more than two-decades with China. It is only now getting to a point where the "deals" can no longer be hidden. The "deals" have come upon our shores.

Our wonderful government spends approximately $1.47 (or so) for every $1 it receives in revenue. The 47 cents is borrowed by selling treasuries to other countries... like China -- one of the largest purchasers of our debt.

Just put 2 and 2 together... that IS what's happening... better get used to it; unless some real changes occur in Washington with the whole bunch (all parties).

Just saying...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I have to always question anything that the Big-3 media outlets offer for news, but this time I think they have stuck their noses deep in the abyss of our countries "deals" made behind closed doors.

Doesn't it seem a bit fishy that a primarily Democratic state has allowed this to happen? They know damn well why this is happening and there isn't anything they can do about it -- period. In fact, the "Dems" are right in the middle of this whole mess along with every other politician. They will blame anyone but themselves -- just watch.

The deals our government has been making "behind closed-doors" with China is in return to keep having them buy our junk-bonds (Treasuries).

What I have just stated may sound far-fetched to some; but don't bet against it.

Our country has been on the selling-block for more than two-decades with China. It is only now getting to a point where the "deals" can no longer be hidden. The "deals" have come upon our shores.

Our wonderful government spends approximately $1.47 (or so) for every $1 it receives in revenue. The 47 cents is borrowed by selling treasuries to other countries... like China -- one of the largest purchasers of our debt.

Just put 2 and 2 together... that IS what's happening... better get used to it; unless some real changes occur in Washington with the whole bunch (all parties).

Just saying...
Greg, I think you're on to something.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
...and our hwy 407 toll road was sold to a Spanish company years ago.
The Indiana Toll Road (which seems like it should be owned by, you know....INDIANA) was "sold" a couple years ago to an Australian company. The governor said it was a 99 year "lease" but that sounds an awful lot like a sale to me. I mean, if I buy a car with a 99 year lease, it's mine until either I die or the car does.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

I've been telling you your an overpaid Cheap Bastard for several years now

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #13

When the province owned the toll road here they said they were losing money on it, thats why they sold it. The Spanish company that bought raised the rates sky high, It costs about $40.00 to travel approx 60 miles on it, a bit less if you have a transponder.
The province is now extending the road and says it will keep this new portion to run themselves.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
U.S.A had better open their eyes before its too late!
It's already too late, Sir. The future for America gets darker each day. When all hell breaks loose, and it will, the world will be quite a different place in which to live. I hope I don't live to see it, but our children will.