Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #16

I moved my air sensor last week and test rode it Saturday. I did have a resistor cut into the sensor wiring but removed it when I moved the sensor. Long story short my bike only pinged once on the ride and that was because I was deliberately trying to make it ping. Granted it was only 60 degrees and things might change when it get warmer but I am very happy with the move and the results.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I did move mine last month and can report there is a difference for sure. I have done the resistor, the TPS change to 4.45 volts. Finally moved the air temp sensor after measuring 275 degrees behind the dog bowl. Before the move my TFI was adjusted many times. Most settle pretty close to 3:5:9:1 on the first two pots.. I've tried 4:4 with good results too.

Moving the air temp sensor to behind the chrome covers on the triple tree I slowly lowered my TFI to 2:3:9:1. Running on premium (91) and having my chap guards on (which tends to increase engine heat) I had no pinging at all and rode double last weekend in temps about 75-80 degrees up and down mountain passes and got 41 MPG's traveling 65-75 mph.

I think the sensor is now getting better "warmed up" information that's not 275 degrees and I can start off with the TFI much lower on a cold start up. The sensor is working better by not leaning out the motor in high temp situations causing "run away" heating.

What is run away heating? As the sensor picks up engine heat it sends a signal to the ECU to lean out the mixture. This is in part due to less oxygen available in warm air as the molecules move away from each other. Reading 275 degrees causes the ECU to run, I believe, dangerously lean settings that cause more heat and more leaning and so on and so forth. Now the hottest the air temp sensor will see in maybe 110 in the summer desert heat and not get so lean as to cause that super engine heat we all feel.

BTW I hit many stop and go situations last weekend and the fan never came on. Never felt engine heat even with the chaps blocking cooling air to the motor...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Last edited by blowndodge; 01-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Top Contributor

So, how can you tell if the motor's running lean? While I have my bike apart, I wouldn't mind moving the sensor but not sure if I should still add the FuelPak (Chucksters intake/V&H exhaust). If I don't add the FuelPak, I don't want to find out that I'm lean until I put a hole in the piston. Not really sure where I'd move the sensor as my front tins are gone but I'd figure something out, I'm sure.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #19

I appreciate the responses and I hope this not only helps me but others also. Thank you, Sharps.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
So, how can you tell if the motor's running lean? While I have my bike apart, I wouldn't mind moving the sensor but not sure if I should still add the FuelPak (Chucksters intake/V&H exhaust). If I don't add the FuelPak, I don't want to find out that I'm lean until I put a hole in the piston. Not really sure where I'd move the sensor as my front tins are gone but I'd figure something out, I'm sure.
If your bike is pinging you are running lean. You can also do a plug color check. If your plugs are bright white with no light brown or gray coloring you are running lean.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
If your bike is pinging you are running lean. You can also do a plug color check. If your plugs are bright white with no light brown or gray coloring you are running lean.
So if it's not pinging, it's not running lean? Or could it be quiet AND running lean at the same time? I only have 15k on the bike and really don't want to destroy the motor just yet.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

In the summertime if your fan comes on at every signal light, or if it pings, or if the throttle response seems weak off the bottom; ie, stalling from time to time, its lean. If your bike is 2004 or later or FI it's lean from the factory.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Thanks, Brad. So far (with no mods) I don't have any of those symptoms except the post '04 thing. :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
So if it's not pinging, it's not running lean? Or could it be quiet AND running lean at the same time? I only have 15k on the bike and really don't want to destroy the motor just yet.
Sometimes you can hear it ping, but there could be times when it is pinging and you can't hear it. The previously mentioned tells, are definate signs though.

BD:
I previously assumed that since I have a Cobra FI the air sensor move was not needed as I could just add fuel where needed. I am at 3-5-0, and mine will ping under high RPM conditions which would seem like a POT 3 fix, but I have not been able to tune it out. I had been getting about 38MPG but as of late this has dropped to 34MPG. Only change being a 205 tire.

Sounds like the air temp move would allow lower settings all around and could maybe help. Am I mistaken?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

no.

Member # 0005