Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Other tips are use the rear pods on the trailer everytime whether or not you think you need them, and put the pods up before you drive away.

i am very anal, and use 2 ties downs off each corner, for a total of 8 tie downs. I also use soft straps a nylon webbing that gets the hooks away from paint. The lower hook is taped and IS closer to the ratchet devices, so in the event one does come off at the top (very unlikely) it will not fall on paint.

The bottom hooks are much more likey to come off if they are not taped. If that happens and the ratchets are higher on the tie down it will beat paint and chrome.

I added 4 trailer side tie down metal rings and replaced the stock rings as well for stronger.

The trailer hasps are weak. It take apx 3 seconds to break off the top hasp and open it leaving the lock in place as it was. Bike thieves are very aware of that.

There is a better hasp, t hat is surounded by a stainless steel box that also locks, and is much more difficult to break into, since the hasps are trapped by the box.

Still to me that isn't nearly enough. I added common hasps of a rugged quality inside the trailer and use locks there too. So this way if the outside hasps are defeated there are still 2 more inside that must be defeated.

The weak point then is the side door. On mine I added several things to harden it.

The first is a key locking chain, similar to many common door chains, other than you need a key to unlock it, but it will allow so many inches to reach inside the partly open door. Next I added a armored cable which is birdhead knotted around a rail I added halfway high. (I added 3 rails to be able to tie most anything to the trailer walls. One rail just off the floor apx 1 inch high, one near the top of the walls and one midway .)

So in this way it is like h aving 2 cables to defeat to open the door more, which gets a few more inches, but not enough room for a man to pass.

But if you open the door so far as the cables go at once, you set off a 110 decible alarm. I can even hear that thing and don't like it much.

Next if you defeat that there is a stink bomb which will make a grown man cry, and he gets turned bright purple. I'ld rather have to wash that stain off my Nomad than loose it. Besides i don't have any purple scalpes yet.........

Then the bike is locked to the chauk thru the ft wheel. The next lock is a ft disk lock.

The next is a cable lock that passes around the axel, and the last is another cable lock that passes thru the rear wheel and to the crash bars.

The best way to steal my bike is to bring a wrecker and remove the driveshaft from the van and take it van, trailer and bike all in one, and pray i don't see it happen.

Thats because if I see it happen, I will try out some old fashioned tricks i read about in Allen Ekharts Book 'Gateway to an Empire', which involves sitting on beaver chew.

I have never dropped the bike in the trailer or any place else, but I have considered blocking the rear tire, just never have done it, but 2 hunks of 2x4 screwed to the floor in that area sure isn't a real bad idea.

The one time I forgot to drop the pods with out the van hitched to the trailer was a lesson I will never forget. Do not try this even at home. I almost won both the Darwin Award and the Jackass Award in the same instant.

I threw a leg over the bike withy no van hitched, and no pods down. I was maybe 50 feet from the White River in Ar. I started the Nomad and began to back it out.
Suddenly the trailer lifted from the ft, and the rear went down and the trailer began to roll down to the blasted river with me sitting on the running Nomad.

Best thrill I ever got for free too....... I rode that bike back into the trailer and the ft end came down some hard mista', and I dam near dumped the bike too.

Well my loving Bride saved the day bring me some salt to chew my heart back down, and then asked what to do. I yelled set the wheel chaulks. She yelled You fool, what are wheel caulks? There is a sayin' about this sort of thing, but I can't say it all here, but it ends in 'or go blind'......

This is a real case of do not do what I do, and I am never going to do that again, and you can take that to the bank. I wouldn't tell of this, other than maybe my folly will save some other SOB.... (the smilies are not working well for me or this post would be loaded)

Last do not crush the suspention, get it lowered, make it snug, but do not mash the suspention.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads