Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Zerk grease fitting on steering stem

I missed reading that this might be done installed! No please don't do it that way if you do it at all. But then it's your bike and your money.

I also want it on record I disagree with the swing arm bit. More or less there you might get away with this zerk for the long bolt and the spacers if the spacers are drilled and slotted so grease makes it to the long bolt. Still that's a maybe.

But the real problem is you can not grease the working splines no matter what, nor check the U joint. Not only that but the en gineers fubarred the swingarm seals, and use them a thrust washers. I will never understand that WHY. But it IS, and sooner or later about 12,000 miles these seals are worn out dead and there is way too much slop as side to side swingarm play over 0.138"!

No other bike I am aware has slop set correctly over 0.008", and most any decent re-setting is set at 0.002".

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob
Thats true mac but boat wheels are turning at a high RPM.
My steering head bearings do not turn very fast.
So a little grease even if not done properly will extend the service life of the steering head bearings.
Bob,

Boats don't have wheels, that's what differentiates a boat from a car. The reason you pack boat trailer hubs full of grease is because they typically become submerged while launching or trailering a boat. The grease is to protect the hub and bearings from corrosion, not because they turn at high speeds.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

In part the grease takes up space water then can't. However boat trailer bearing should be checked each Spring anf Fall if you live where Seasons are. So long as they are cleaned and packed in Fall they will be fine come spring, but humans tend to not store boats and trailers so well.

A problem is over greasing tends to build heat, which is another boat trailer problem, with longer distance boater type humans. I have removed bearings that looked a lot more like black pebbles, and had to spit the inner races to get them off axels.

of course I don't mind that either, since I am getting paid.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #19

I prefer to dissassemble and clean the bearings also, That is the proper way to do it, but the grease fitting is still better than nothing for the guys that don't want to take the time to do the service.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Advanced Member

So, why does your Harley have a grease zerk on the steering head? Funny thing, my Drifter has zerks on the swing arm bearings / bottom shock pivot point and the steering head. I didn't put them there and I bought it new. I think the big reason is - they are cheap, cheap, cheap and cheap! IMHO. This way the Dealers get more money for maintenance! Why else would a brand new Nomad have a wipe of grease on the steering head bearings and less than a wipe of grease on the swing arm bearings? Cheap, lazy - or both?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
So, why does your Harley have a grease zerk on the steering head? Funny thing, my Drifter has zerks on the swing arm bearings / bottom shock pivot point and the steering head. I didn't put them there and I bought it new. I think the big reason is - they are cheap, cheap, cheap and cheap! IMHO. This way the Dealers get more money for maintenance! Why else would a brand new Nomad have a wipe of grease on the steering head bearings and less than a wipe of grease on the swing arm bearings? Cheap, lazy - or both?
I don't know if my Harley does have a zerk on the steering head or not. I stand by my original statement. A zerk fitting allowing the steering head to be pumped full of grease is not a satisfactory substitute for periodic inspection, cleaning and adjustment of the steering head assembly. Ditto for the swingarm.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #22

My pals 97 Ultra has a zerk on the steering neck.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Ring, Where is that zerk located? In the center of the gooseneck somewhere? Is it stock from the factory? I just don't see it doing a real good job.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #24

My Sportster has them also, center left side of the neck. I always took it apart to inspect and grease, just don't like a pound of grease being pumped into the void.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Ring, Where is that zerk located? In the center of the gooseneck somewhere? Is it stock from the factory? I just don't see it doing a real good job.
Its on the RH side in the centre of the gooseneck.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

geeze...................................

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Since the bearings aren't rotating at any speed - I am guessing as long as fresh grease gets pushed thru once in awhile the won't suffer from moisture or contamination damage - kinda like the old king pins on trucks. I'm not saying they shouldn't be inspected once in awhile but mine were shot in less than a year of service! Since the new ones were installed and zerk - I have checked the torque every year and so far it is still right on the money so I figure I will pull it apart every say 3 years of so - mostly dependant on mileage. And I'm not sure why you would worry about the steering head being full of grease?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

I might due, but it won't be right. That much grease may create condensation. King pins don't have a big open gallery, like hubs and a gooseneck do.

I got a 1 gallon can of roofing cement that sat in a bar now about 2 years. I was inside the barn, and it created consensation to the point the bottom of the can pin holed, and leaked out black water.

All summer I have been trying to stir that tar, and get the water out, but at this point I am sure I will never get that trapped water out, and the lid was hammered shut well.

With a normal amout of grease air will move as temps change, but no air will move if the head is loaded full of grease and it will become a water trap.

Hell, I'ld like it too if this were a good idea.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac