Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #16

Now I've done it

Good luck Dennis, sounds like a beautiful bike. I hope your test ride goes well.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #17

Now I've done it

The lowers can open up a bit. I really don't feel the heat on my 2009 Ultra like others say they do. When stopped, by rolling the throttle past stop and holding it there a few seconds, will put it into a mode that shuts the rear cylinder down while stopped at a light.

Also, mine is completely stock. I use premium fuel which the manual calls for and I've ridden in some very hot weather around here and have never had it ping or even loose any power.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #18

Now I've done it

Well my bubble busted. I went to have the test ride and was informed that I had to seal the deal first. This was not explained to me first and I was having no part of it. And, I, as politely as I could, told the sales person that I guess he did not want to sell the bike very bad. He said whats the difference doing the deal before the test ride or after. So I had to explain to him that if he was asking that question he had no right to be a sales person, and that I would buy no used bike without first riding it. I know this was a smoke screen because I tested one of their test bikes when I purchased my Nomad. This makes me feel like there may be something wrong with the bike if they are not willing to let it be tested first. It’s also not like I had to have this bike, it was only a spur of the moment thing because of the looks of the bike, it’s not like my Nomad had anything wrong with it. I do feel let down but I’m not going to let them put one over on me either. Maybe I’m wrong in my thinking but I’m not going back to purchase from them anytime soon. I guess I can say now I've un-done-it.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #19

Now I've done it

Good for you. If it is a used bike what's the big deal about letting you test ride it. I don't buy a used car without a test drive.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Now I've done it

You can probably blame the sales manager for that one. He most likely said "seal the deal". I would have walked away as well. I know of a place that runs your credit card, and you sign an agreement to purchase, should something happen while you are test riding.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #21

Now I've done it

You aint wrong Dennis. Your right on and too smart for those guys!!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #22

Now I've done it

Don't walk away....................RUN. Something is fishy with that deal.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #23

Now I've done it

He's not gonna sell a lot of bikes that way. Refusing a test ride on a used bike is ridiculous.

When I bought my Nomad in February I was also considering a 900LT. The dealer told me to let him know when I was ready for a test ride and he'd have one of each ready to go. When I got there mid-afternoon the next day, he handed me the keys to both and reminded me they closed at 6pm. That's the way to make a sale.
KawaNOW #01691
VRA National Vice President 2012
Kentucky Chapter Treasurer

Old 06-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #24

Now I've done it

The thing that made me most upset was that I know this is not their policy and I don't like someone trying to get one over on me. I do know of many that test ride bikes from this place.

I feel this may be one of the Harleys that wobble; they have had issues with this on some of their bikes. I guess I'll never know unless someone I know buys the bike. Sad thing for them I had my title, check book and bike ready to do business and ride the bike home. The most distressing thing to me was this happened after all that I went through with my wife getting her to allow such an unneeded purchase in the first place. Getting the right price for my trade was much easier than dealing with my wife on the trade.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #25
Mega-Contributor

Now I've done it

I didn't get to test ride my bike before buying it, but I had test ridden Harleys in the past. I felt I knew what I was getting. With a used bike, you don't know what you're getting and that dealer was trying to pull a fast one on you.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #26

Now I've done it

They are a beautiful bike, and you can always remove the hard lowers in the heat.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #27

Now I've done it

I feel that you did the right thing! I won't buy any vehicle without testing it first. New, used, car or bike. I think its idiotic for the salesmen to assume you would. I rode my nomad several times before I actually bought it, as well as several other bikes. All of them were new. No hassles from the dealers. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I know that feeling. I think you did the wise thing.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #28

Now I've done it

After the hail storm last night I am glad it fell through. Now I need to buy a new car. I'm sure my wife’s car will be total loss.

I have owned three HD in my past but the point to the test ride is to see if there is something wrong with the one I want. I again talked to someone toady that has test ridden two HD from this same dealer, so it leaves me to believe there are problems with this one. Or maybe less sinister it may have been just a hungry sales person.

Believe it or not two of my Harley riding buddies can't believe I am trading in my, IN THERE WORDS "Beautiful bike". Like I said earlier it was just a spur of the moment thing because of the looks, and of course I deserve it.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Now I've done it

If it's 2009 and later, no wobble. More than likely he was desperate to make a sale and thought he could push you around. A lot of people that buy bikes, HDs in particular, buy on emotion. He was probably counting on that. The month and quarter will be over soon and I bet he winged it because he's behind.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11