Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

How far?

When your planning a long motorcycle trip how far do you plan out your days travel?

I know this is different for everyone and depends on your bike, physical fitness, etc. Just want a feel for how I should plan the trip if I go.

Not going for an iron butt award but I am seriously thinking about riding out to California for the redwoods rally. I know some days I wont be able to do any miles given my shoulder injury, but others I will be able to do a lot.

I just kind of figure if I don't do it now when can i do it. If Department of Defense ever gets off their ass and retrains me school will take up to much time to even think about a trip like this for years to come. Then add on reentering the work force when done with school and it gets pushed further to the back of the list.

It also wouldn't be a straight through shot as it would give me a chance to see some sights I haven't seen since my truck driving days. It would also allow me to stop and see some guys I worked with in Iraq that I haven't seen in a few years.

While I would like to camp some it's not feasible to do it every night either if that matters. I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted which would have to be recharged every couple days and maybe every day depending on how much i use it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #2

How far?

I read somewhere that 250 miles is about average if you want to see some sights along the way.
I am planning on going to the National and it is 936 miles the route I have planned.
The first day we will be on the interstate from NY State through Penn. so I figure on doing 450 miles that day then 250 the following day and finishing up the third day.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Advanced Member

How far?

I haven't made a long trip in awhile but when I was much younger it was all over but the shouting after 500 miles.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #4

How far?

My wife and I spend 23 days on the road and averaged between 350-550 miles per traveling day and still were able to enjoy our evenings. The key for us was to leave early in the morning.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #5

How far?

Thanks for the responses I appreciate it. I have been to all 48 contiguous states in a tractor trailer, but this is going to be a bit different In a big truck I could route it and plan my stops without even thinking about it. Twin 150 gallon fuel tanks made life easier. Then again so did the microwave and the dish tv in the bunk

When I lived in Atlanta I traveled by bike a lot in the south east and always swore one day I would take a bike west of the Mississippi. I just never got around to it. I kind of figure now is the chance.

I was talking to a buddy of mine tonight who is finishing school in the next couple months. His bags are already packed and wants to know when I leave. Has the same attitude I do. If not now, then when? Not planning anything except for the rally in California. Just head west. Not even worrying to much about fuel until I get farther west and thats going to be dependent on route we take after swinging through the hoover dam and grand canyon area.

Coming back east would be different as I would use that to visit friends and family.

Glad I decided to put a hitch box on the back of bike

Also gives me a chance to use up the 2 boxes of MRE's I have.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #6

How far?

When I plan a long distance trip I try to work it out to average 300 miles a day. More than 500 miles turns into a long day. Some days I only do 150-200 if there is something I want to see. The key is to try and plan things so you will enjoy the ride and not be trying to get from point "A" to point "B" on every segment of the trip.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

How far?

I try to stay around 500 miles/day max. When I was planning to go to Maggie Valley, I was pushing 500+ miles/day just because of the limited time I had to attend the rally. I'd rather do 400 miles/day than 500.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

How far?

I'd say about 500 miles is max unless you just want to get where you are going or Todd is operating the GPS :) I've done some short days (200) and some long days (1,000). Medium days (350-450) are best cause you can still do some things and get miles behind you.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

How far?

Generally 450 is the max on interstates, but if you will be traveling mountain roads, it may be as little as 250.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Advanced Member

How far?

Cane,

I say, just get on the bike and go, stop when you want. It's an adventure you're looking for, before life sets in and strangles you. If you set a route, it then becomes a schedule, not an adventure, and that's what you are trying to experience before going back to school.

Last time I went to a cycle ride around Asheville, NC, it was the Honda Hoot I think back in 2000 or 2001, I just jumped on the road, two laners, and headed southwards from Michigan. Whatever road looked interesting and was pointing south, I jumped on it. Never looked at a map until I got fairly close.

An adventure are memories you think about for the rest of your life. It sounds like you want an adventure, and it's not about the trip, it's about the ride and what you experience on the way.

As for your stimulator, not sure what type of hookup it takes but imagine it has some type of rechargeable battery on it like a mp3 player does. Hook up a power outlet on your bike so you don't have to worry about finding a hotel to charge it. If you have the right hookup, you might even just be able to plug it into the power outlet while you ride and have it charging while using it. I hooked up 3 power outlets on my bike. Two up front for IPOD and GPS, 10 amps fused, and 1 under the side panel, non fused for running a air compressor if need be alongside the road or trickle charging the battery this winter.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #11

How far?

Took a western road trip two years ago from San Jose to Denver. We hit ten national parks and three national monuments along the way. The trip was 2800 miles in 11 days. The longest day we had was about 350 and the shortest around 200. The only thing I would have changed was to put one day in the middle to rest. Otherwise, it was a good mixture of riding and seeing the beautiful scenery in our national parks.
VBA #1753
2008 Nomad

Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
How far?

When I rode out to visit my daughter in Texas I rode about half the distance the first day and finished the second. It was a total of about 900 miles from my house to her house.

Three weekends back we had a meet and greet in Starkville, MS and the round trip was 440 miles. I made that easily in one day. I was a little weary the next day though.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #13

How far?

When Im going to a destination I like to cover ground, at least 500 mile days or longer depending on weather, and how tired I get.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #14

How far?

I have pretty much decided I am going to wing it so to speak. I am going to stop in Andalusia, AL to see an old family friend of my moms that I haven't seen in several years. From there my next "planned" stop is the Grand Canyon. I think I am just going to sort of let it go where she wants in a westerly fashion.

Right now my plan is to attend the rally in the redwoods. Few DR appts to clear though first. (one in July and one in August then free for 90 days) I kind of figure given my situation "if not now, then when"

My plans on way to rally are.
  • Andalusia, AL to visit family friends[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Grand Canyon[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Hoover Dam[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Ride the PCH[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • San Francisco[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]

On way back home from Rally my plans are.
  • Spokane, WA to visit with a guy I spent a year in Iraq with.[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • MT Rushmore[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Yellowstone[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Lansing, MI to visit sister and a brother.[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Gettysburg[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Baltimore, MD to visit twin brother and use his house as a base to explore Washington and all the splendors of our capital[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Monticello[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Charlotte, NC to visit Nascar HoF[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]
  • Atlanta, GA to visit a brother[/*:m:1ogoa0mz]

I have no set plans for an amount of time in each area or what times I need to be there with exception of the rally. This is for 2 reasons. 1) If i see something I want to visit I am going to swing through and hit it up. 2) If shoulder or nerve damage flare up I would be forced to stop for a few days.

Member here sent me to the iron butt website. Found a few neat suggestions. One of which is visiting somethng like 25 states and 50 national parks and monuments in a one year time. I really like that idea as it will really get me to explore some unknown areas with regards to those parks and monuments.

I will have about 90 day window of oppurtunity for this trip from the time I leave, so I can see a whole lot of the country by bike. Seen it by truck now its the bikes turn.

I am also taking a tent and some camping gear with me. My plan is to camp 2-3 days and then grab a motel. This saves me money especially if it is just an area I am passing through. I am also taking an ultra comfortable hammock besides the tent. Some nights I hope to not even pitch the tent but to sleep under the stars with only natures canopy to obstruct my view

Preliminary budget is 2500 for emergency travel and storage of bike. This is in case I need to store the bike and purchase a spur of the moment ticket in case of a family emergency.
100-125 per day in expenses. This is budgeting for fuel, lodging (both camping and hotels), and food. Bit unsure about this one as some friends think it is to low and some think it is to high. Some nights I will pay none of the above as I will be staying with friends and family. Also rally funds are already set aside with regards to lodging. This also does not cover fees associated with parks, monuments, paid tours etc. Entertainment money is totally separate.

I have set aside 1000 to cover transport for the bike home in case of a catastrophic breakdown. This will take some thinking as not much more then that I can get a motor shipped and install the thing at a local wrench it yourself shop and continue on. I also have AAA motorcycle coverage so that will help in the event of needing a tow if something happens. This one will be play it by ear as you cant plan for breakdowns and I would have to look at the feasibility of repairs.

As always I am open to suggestions or comments.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #15

How far?

You young folks head for a destination, us old folks just head in a direction.