Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

What would you do?

We all know that aftermarket items are expensive to the point of being ridiculous I know all of us have spent plenty of time gazing at our nomads. Have also spent lots of time checking out others. If you had the capabilities of making your own add ons, what would they be? The reasons I'm asking this is for more ideas that I may use, also very curious what you might come up with? If you have made parts or accesories for your Nomad..what are they?....John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #2

What would you do?

I would make a hydralic center stand that stays attached to the bike. You know like the open wheel racecars have. Push a button and the Nomad raises up a few inches to make it easier to wash the tires and do maintence.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #3

What would you do?

Quote:
I would make a hydralic center stand that stays attached to the bike. You know like the open wheel racecars have. Push a button and the Nomad raises up a few inches to make it easier to wash the tires and do maintence.
That would be AWESOME!
If only there were room under the bike. Hmmmmm, gonna have to process that awhile.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Advanced Member

What would you do?

I'd have an engine that puts out what it's capable of. It kind of suprises me that an American made HD motor of the same size out-engineers a Japanese motor. You don't see that in cagers; just bikes. Well, unless you ride a V2K...

My $.02
DS

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #5

What would you do?

How about a little flip-out mirror for reading the oil level while in the saddle?

(my first thought was the hydraulic center stand/jack but TC beat me to it.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #6

What would you do?

Hard plastic or fiberglass front engine chaps. I really like the way the "leather" ones reduce wind pressure on my feet and legs.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

What would you do?

Quote:
How about a little flip-out mirror for reading the oil level while in the saddle?

(my first thought was the hydraulic center stand/jack but TC beat me to it.)
Nice idea, but take it one step further, with an oil-level sensor with a digital display. Hey, we can always dream, right?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #8

What would you do?

Blackie, I made a simple bracket for holding a tent on the back of my bike. I didn't want the look of a full rear rack that I would rarely use. To me they look like a big chunk of added weight mounted up high and too far back, unless you're actually using it.

My idea might not have a lot of commercial value, but it worked well for me.

I took a U-bolt that fit the top holes of the license plate, made the holes bigger and threaded it in. The other end rested on the metal bar below the seat on the 1500 nomads. It made a level perch that was perfect for bungying my camping tent on, and wasn't very noticeable when not carrying it.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #9

What would you do?

Wow you guys have come up with some really cool ideas. Any ideas for locking the bike besides a chain and the locking steering? Maybe a locking center stand is in order? I think that would be up your ally TC.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

What would you do?

BMW has that...

Quote:
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #11

What would you do?

If BMW has it that means it can be done. Get ot work on that blackiedog , let me know when you have it perfected and I'll buy one from you.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #12

What would you do?

A DIPSTICK. If Honda and HD can do so can Ma Kaw. A center stand, doesn't have to be hydralic. Better, brighter lights so cell phone drivers have a better chance to see us.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #13

What would you do?

Quote:
A DIPSTICK. If Honda and HD can do so can Ma Kaw. A center stand, doesn't have to be hydralic. Better, brighter lights so cell phone drivers have a better chance to see us.
The Rogues come with a dipstick but apparently nobody can figure out just how to use it correctly.

Agreed that the center stand wouldn't have to be hydraulic but some us might have quite a time of it getting it up... err, I mean, getting the Nomad up on the center stand if it isn't hydraulic.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #14

What would you do?

You must be a lot stronger than you look in your pic oldbiker. If you can get an 800 pound nomad up on a centerstand by brute force I sure as he11 ain't going to give you a hard time.
Give me the hydraulic model.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Advanced Member

What would you do?

Well, first, instead of aftermarket exhaust, I'd clothespin half a dozen baseball cards to the fenders for that badass sound. Next, since I can't remember what gear I'm in I'd zip-tie a squirrel to the handlebars with a little whiteboard and a marker and train him to write down what gear I'm in. Of course I'd have to keep a cup of birdseed or peanuts to keep him happy. Lastly, instead of expensive whitewall tires, I'd get a couple bottles of whiteout and get the bike up on that hydraulic lift somebody mentioned and while spinning the tires and I'd dab the whiteout on the sidewall until the desired effect was obtained. What? Yeah, I know, nobody likes a smartass. But, as long as I think it's funny thats all that matters.
Seriously though, I think I'd fabricate my own brackets and mount a sound system on my bike; they still have 8-track tapes at the music store don't they? You won't get any skip with those.