Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

MD's Accident

In Pensacola, heading south on downtown street about 35 mph. Clear, beautiful sunshine day. May 21, 2010.

At the intersection, there is a car stopped at the side road. When I got to within 25 feet of the intersection, he pulled out.

PUCKER TIME.

I hit the rear brakes a little too much and started to slide... let off and used more front brake. The bike had turned enough to allow me to go in front of the car. He hit me in the right side, right at my leg. I remember vividly seeing the hood of the car at my side.
I can't say enough about how the engine guards, front and rear, saved my butt.

The impact knocked the bike out from under me. I landed about ten feet the other side of the car, on my right shoulder.

More pissed than anything. I asked him how he could not see me, three headlights, and bright sunny day... He said he was watching his GPS and never looked up.

Unbelievable.

Well, I paid off some debt, and got a new bike with the settlement.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

MD's Accident

Glad you came out okay. I'm afraid that I may have "dotted his eyes" had it been me. :(" title="" border="0"/>
86 Kawasaki 454 LTD
VBA member #1578
HOG Member #4541840
AMA Member # 2700186

Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

MD's Accident

Very happy it wasn't any worst and your OK to buy another bike and ride another day..

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

MD's Accident

You were lucky it wasn't a serious accident, a new bike and less debt is a nice bonus.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
MD's Accident

Hate to hear of another senseless accident. Drivers never cease to amaze me. Glad you came out okay and got a nice settlement.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Advanced Member

MD's Accident

Glad to here nothings broke except the bike, and that can be replaced. With two of you guys getting hit from the forum, it's a wake up call for everyone to keep a tighter watch for those cagers. This makes it pretty obvious that Kawasaki had a better idea when they put front and rear bars on the bike stock from the factory. Are there any other manufacturers that put front and rear crash bars on their bikes? ???

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

MD's Accident

Really glad to hear you made it through that one!

I, also, would likely have wanted to "dot the guy's eyes"... ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #8

MD's Accident

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. But you did mention the Back break!! Should have been hard on the Front and Back. 75% breaking power is your front! Not to be Picky but I hear people tell me about accidents and when I ask about the front break! Nope didn't use or very little! Not to say it will not cause the accident but it sure helps. I actually had one guy tell me it would put you over the Handle bars....WTF?? and he has been riding for years!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

MD's Accident

Hey Cadman & MD!!

I have to admit I'd be afraid to ride a bike without both front AND rear crash bars. I low sided twice on my old 74s and both times the bike cleared my leg and slid ahead of me as the friction of my clothes slowed my sliding down. Granted they won't do much for a high side or a high speed impact but I'll take any help I can get.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Advanced Member

MD's Accident

I'm glad to hear your OK and that the bike was the only casualty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgringo
Hey Cadman & MD!!

I have to admit I'd be afraid to ride a bike without both front AND rear crash bars. I low sided twice on my old 74s and both times the bike cleared my leg and slid ahead of me as the friction of my clothes slowed my sliding down. Granted they won't do much for a high side or a high speed impact but I'll take any help I can get.
I had to dump my bike once (old bike with only front crash bar). I wasn't going to make it and would have hit the car no matter what (he stopped DEAD infront of me out of a side street in a light rain) so I dumped it to try and let the bike go and get away from it and hopefully avoid the FULL head on!!! Bike slide to just by his rear bumper and I slide just behind the bike and stopped like you said due to my clothing. Hurt my hip, but that was all. I could have dotted his eye's too, but I was hobbling on one leg and lifting my poor bike up from the high side (sidestand) with one hand/one leg!!! Yes, the adrenaline was flowing then!!!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Top Contributor

MD's Accident

Glad to hear you're ok and got a new bike out of the deal. Hopefully that a$$hole learns to pay attention to the road and not look at his GPS.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

MD's Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. But you did mention the Back break!! Should have been hard on the Front and Back. 75% breaking power is your front! Not to be Picky but I hear people tell me about accidents and when I ask about the front break! Nope didn't use or very little! Not to say it will not cause the accident but it sure helps. I actually had one guy tell me it would put you over the Handle bars....WTF?? and he has been riding for years!!!
The new rig has partial integral brakes. When I squeeze the front brake, it actuates both front and rear like a car, if I use the brake pedal, just the rear. It comes close to putting me over if I squeeze hard enough, which isn't much. ::)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #13

MD's Accident

After the accident, while I was laying in the street, I remember thinking "Get the bike". Like I had to get her out of the street. I think I felt that my lady was compromised in that position, in the middle of the street, for everyone to see her, like looking up her skirt or something.
The first thing I did, without even assessing the damage to my body, was to get my lady out of the street.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

MD's Accident

At the intersection, there is a car stopped at the side road. When I got to within 25 feet of the intersection, he pulled out.

I added a headlight modulator and I have to say that I seem to get a lot more caution now from cagers.

It seems like they wait longer for me to pass by before they pull out.

I know my impression is only subjective, and I still have had idiots pull out in front of me, but a WHOLE lot less than before I got the modulator.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #15

MD's Accident

I think I felt that my lady was compromised in that position, in the middle of the street, for everyone to see her, like looking up her skirt or something.

I understand that reaction!!

:-)