Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #1

Dead Battery

The wife and I went on a nice fall ride yesterday. At the last stop in s small town 60 miles from home the bike was completely dead. My 6 year old battery (came with the bike) had completely died. The bike would start right up when a local helped me jump start it but would immediately die when we disconnected the jumper cables. Of course, the only auto parts store in town is closed on Saturdays and the owner wouldn't open up and sell me one even though he lives in an apartment directly above the store.

Luckily, a good guy in town drove me 20 miles away to a neighboring town and I bought a battery from O'Reillys auto parts store. This is the first time I've ever been stranded with a bad battery.

The only battery I could buy is a brand called "Super Start Powersport AGM." It's a jell battery that cost $82 with tax. Anyone had any experience with this battery? I'm wondering just how long I should wait until replacing it. The jell battery (can't remember the brand) in my previous bike lasted 8 years and was still working when I replaced it.

Since it only cost $82, I have a feeling it won't last as long as some of the others.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Dead Battery

82 bux sounds like a bargain. This is the first time I've heard of a tired battery dying this way. Did you have any prior indication that it was getting weak? Did the bike crank slower during starting?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Dead Battery

I don't know about that particular battery, but the battery in my Pontiac went south last week and I took it back to O'Reilly under warranty and they replaced it with a Super Start brand. The heat here eats batteries, so if it can go longer than 2 years in my car, it's a decent battery.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

Dead Battery

I had no indication the battery was dying. We had started and stopped at different locations probably a half dozen times before it was done for. Actually, it started to crank for a second before it stopped and then there was nothing. Not even an indicator light.

Other bikers who saw me having trouble thought sure it was the Stator. But since it would start and stay running while the jumper cables were attached to another vehicle, I was pretty sure it was the battery.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Dead Battery

Put a volt meter on the battery to make sure it's charging. It should read (running) somewhere around 13.2-13.8 volts.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Dead Battery

I've had a few auto batteries (three I recall) that died suddenly without warning over the past 15 years or so. Perfectly good (at starting) one day and dead as a doornail the next. Hasn't happened with a bike battery, yet. I've sort of come to expect it with modern batteries, made largely from recycled materials I'm told.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #7

Dead Battery

Good advise Zoom45. Thanks.

A gas station attendant tried to super charge the old battery but it wouldn't take a charge. Also, the tester at O'Reillys confirmed that the battery was completely dead.

I've had dead batteries in automobiles before that could be jumped and stay started to drive home. I guess I thought the same would apply to motorcycles.

Even though many have motorcycle batteries that last up to 8+ years, what is the common time frame for replacing before they die?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Dead Battery

I know no one like to spend money to replace batteries. But to avoid a situation like you just went through maybe after five or six years it might be wise to consider having the battery replaced. With a car it is a little different as you can get the car jumped and the alternator will keep it running. Guess bikes are different though. The alternator doesn's put out enough volts to keep it running with a dead battery.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Dead Battery

Not be an alarmist but I believe that gel-cell batteries have an issue with thermal runaway. It will be interesting to see how a gel cell works in a motorcycle. Anyone else ever use one of these?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Dead Battery

I've had 2 AC Delco batteries full replacement under warranty in my Silverado in the last 2 years. No prior weakness alerts. Walked up to my truck and hit the unlock on my remote and nothing would happen on both occasions. I checked across my leads with a meter to see if anything was drawing the battery down and couldn't find any indication. I then brought it to a mechanic friend of mine who checked it with his instruments and couldn't find anything either. He told me he's had terrible luck with AC Delco batteries and started selling Interstate. No problems with those. The supplier that I brought the faulty batteries back to didn't give it a second thought. Just gave me 2 new batteries free of charge.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

Dead Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
I've had 2 AC Delco batteries full replacement under warranty in my Silverado in the last 2 years. No prior weakness alerts. Walked up to my truck and hit the unlock on my remote and nothing would happen on both occasions. I checked across my leads with a meter to see if anything was drawing the battery down and couldn't find any indication. I then brought it to a mechanic friend of mine who checked it with his instruments and couldn't find anything either. He told me he's had terrible luck with AC Delco batteries and started selling Interstate. No problems with those. The supplier that I brought the faulty batteries back to didn't give it a second thought. Just gave me 2 new batteries free of charge.
Two of three that I had fail suddenly were Interstates. Their standard warranty is not that all long and full replacement costs extra, as I recall.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #12

Dead Battery

The new gel cell batteries are designed for 4 wheelers and off road and should work just fine in you application. There are only 4 different battery manufactures in the USA one of them being Caterpillar making there own batteries and know one else. The rest are branded (stickered) for the store or chain selling them, just like most lawn mowers are MTD.

I was riding with my group the other day and we had stopped for gas and a break, one of our guys riding an ultra was putting in gas and his battery blew up, as in top off sides splayed out. We heard the pop and someone said what was that, I said sounds like a battery blowing up. The ultra had to be pushed away from the pump and a two up ride to get another battery.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Dead Battery

Who cares about the old battery. Sounds like it dead shorted.

That's what i would be upset about, and I would want my charging system tested with the engine running. A volt meter test is a must do and right now.

In theory once the alternator was ON and the engine was running with a just bad battery the engine should have stayed running with the jumpers off.

Since it didn't all I can guess is the dead battery was dead shorted to itself.

That can harm any alternator, and now the point is to make sure that didn't happen.

I don't know why you guys don't run a full time volt meter. All mine is, is a ciggy butt lighter socket and a 14 dollar meter I leave ON, on the bike 24/7.

The ciggy butt lighter socket is hooked to the white/blue acc wire, so it's on all the time.

If you zoom in you can read that meter. That pic is from June 06, the meter reads 13.1 volts and the engine is off, after a ride. If I let that bike sit about a while the meter would read 12.8 in a while, just like it does today.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Dead Battery

I ve had good luck with the AGM type batteries, and Interstate as well, The Interstate battery in my Argo is eleven years old and when i tested it Fri. night it still came up good. I think when it is time to replace I'll stick with them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #15

Dead Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I ve had good luck with the AGM type batteries, and Interstate as well, The Interstate battery in my Argo is eleven years old and when i tested it Fri. night it still came up good. I think when it is time to replace I'll stick with them.
With longevity like that I would stick with them too......... :)
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"