Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Think I will do Big Bend and Calif Coast

FYI

Next week, the Cheryl and I plan to trailer the Nomad around in the west. We want to ride the bike through Big Bend State and National Parks. Then we plan to load it back up and trailer out to the west coast. We want to lay on the beach and ride the coast line of southern California. This will be my third time to ride the coastline. My first not on a Harley.

Some might think why trailer a Nomad? Well as some of you know, I got my fill of cold, hot, wet weather riding in my years as a motor jock in Fort Worth. To me, thats not fun, but we do enjoy cruising and sightseeing aboard the Nomad. Also the wife's van holds more stuff.

Anyway, wish us luck as we cruise around the next two weeks. I had planned to leave Monday but I broke a tooth. Got to see the Dentist first. Its always something trying to keep us home.

Hope to have some internet along the way.

Bill & Cheryl McDonell

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Hope you both enjoy the trip. Ride safely and take plenty of pics.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

You and miss Cheryl have a safe trip. Watch out for the granola clusters (fruits, nuts and flakes) on the leftist coast.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #4

Safe journey.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Have a good trip and if you need some clothes pressed give BD a holler.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
VBA Founder

You and Cheryl have a good trip Bill. When you ride the River Road...Hwy 170, try to mind-meld with me and let me feel the experience. LOL.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #7

Thanks for the well wishes... Got my tooth fixed. Root canal ect. As we grow old, it seems we put crowns on all our teeth before we have them removed for dentures. $1425 for this tooth repair. Yikes.

We made it to Big Bend. Our first time and probably the last. It has to be the most isolated place in the U.S. Learned quickly to plan where to get fuel, food, ect. Lots of desert and mountains. The speed limits seemed unreasonably low. Highway 170 is the nicest riding part of the area with the river and mountain views along the winding road.

No pictures. Wife thought she was taking a picture and was making a movie instead. Ate up the camera batteries and where can you get those in Big Bend.

We are slowly heading for the Calif coast. This is what retirement should be. Doing what you want, seeing what you never had time to see, and doing it at the pace you want.

Bill & Cheryl McDonell

Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #8

thats OK about the pics. I'm still able to retrieve the memories,

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Made the trip to California. Rode the coastal highway area between L.A. and San Diego. Wife and I tried to visit many of the beaches and gently cruise the coastal highway. The weather was perfect and the beaches were awesome. Nice little vacation. I am ready to start planning another.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #10

Glad you had a good time.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #11

No bad weather along the way Bill? Sounds like you two are having a great trip.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #12

Mitch, we had a good time and great weather. Personally I think Big Bend is a big bust, just looks like mountainous desert to me. Hwy 170 is a nice bike ride but not worth the distance. I think the Texas Hill Country that Trip has scheduled in a few months has much better bike roads.

However, I am originally from Calif and have always loved the ocean and beaches. This is my third trip to ride the coastal highway in the past 5 years. Figure I will get the itch again.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
VBA Founder

Actually Bill, in defense of Big Bend, that is a region that has it's own character. True, some parts are like a desert, but the Davis mountains are beautiful to ride through and there are some parts of Big Bend National Park that are absolutely breath-taking....like Santa Elena.

When I go to the Big Bend region, I ride not only the River Road (170), but other roads like 118, which goes by the McDonald Observatory. The Ft. Davis Loop is a great ride...118 and 166. And you can't take a trip to Big Bend without going to Balmorhea park where there is a spring fed stream running through it.

Next to the Texas Hill Country, Big Bend is my fav region to visit and ride.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Actually Bill, in defense of Big Bend, that is a region that has it's own character. True, some parts are like a desert, but the Davis mountains are beautiful to ride through and there are some parts of Big Bend National Park that are absolutely breath-taking....like Santa Elena.

When I go to the Big Bend region, I ride not only the River Road (170), but other roads like 118, which goes by the McDonald Observatory. The Ft. Davis Loop is a great ride...118 and 166. And you can't take a trip to Big Bend without going to Balmorhea park where there is a spring fed stream running through it.

Next to the Texas Hill Country, Big Bend is my fav region to visit and ride.
Admittedly Trip, we only spent two days looking around Big Bend. We did not see it all. We vacationed in Fort Davis last year and it is nice. And maybe I set my hopes too high for Big Bend. I have been to Balmorhea park and stay there whenever I can.

Much of the southwest United States is desert and I am just not a big fan. The desert is not my cup of tea. Some people love it. It is good that we all don't like the same stuff. Otherwise I might want a Harley with a "born to live and live to ride emblem" on it.

Last spring we were in Leakey area and the deer were everywhere. I would not want to be on the road in the evening or night down there. People may not believe how bad the deer were, but the carcasses were laying all over the road and you grew tired of the smell. Beautiful ride though and hope to go with you this spring.

Bill