Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
winterize

Winterizing...let's see....

You do like I did... you leave Erie, Pa. and head south to Georgia! <GMAO>

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #47
Sr. Contributor

winterize

CC, I am a x foreign car tech of 30 years as a pro. I simply make info more available.
You take it or leave it as you please.

I own a mint better than new 1981 XS 850 Sh Yammi I call Liberty, for the paint it got in Spring 02.

My 1985 volvo turbo wagon has over 250,000 and the original clutch, and turbo.

The newest vehical I have other than the 06 Nomad is our 86' Dodge conversion van. (No rust)

In 85 I gave up working on cars to earn a full time living, and went off to work at a B&B as a Mr. Fix it for a while and got hurt bad working with horses. There was a tourist drunk involved in t5he accident that happened to me, but his hair now hangs on my wall so I am even.

After that I worked on pre 50's classic wooden boats restoring them.
I have some back ground in chainsaws, lawnmowers, heavy equipt, and air planes. I am strong in 12 volt systems in my hands, but errors on line where I can't see the details.

In the 70's i worked on cars that never got any oil changes becase tree huggers are people who think oil is a dirty word, and refused to ever change oil, they would just add it.

These OEM batterys are one of the best items on a Nomad, no doubt about it and I am impressed.

So far you got 9 years out of yours and if I get my way I will beat you hands down for the maint I give it and the rest of my bike.

I expect 250,000 miles of my Nomad before I do anything major.

I will still look at my drive shaft and U joint anytime I change a rear tire. It just makes sence, not only that but my 01 Nomad before it was stolen had a defective drive shaft and U joint.

When a bad U joint gets bad enough in a covered tube if it gags up it will seize the rear wheel unexpectedly and that will probably kill any rider.

If it doesn't it will wreck other major parts in a 1/2 heartbeat.

The only reason I don't ride my 01 is because it was stolen.

That 81 850 yammi I got came off a scrape metal heap in a auto junkyard, and every bit of it went into the kitchen sink and then some. it sure didn't look like this when I got it, and no one and I mean no one has ever touched this bike but my wife and I.

I do any and all of my own labor on anything and most anything I want. Wants come under gardens, knives, guns, and leather products like mocs, leggins, and other items.

I even make silver working tools, not that I work much silver since it rocketed to what it is now.

Please don't take this wrong, I don't intend to be that way, but I am fairly well qualified in many things..

Mostly what and why are I am no longer able to work as I once did. I will give away for free the How To of things to those who will take their time to read it.

When another doesn't spend it does me good. My way of getting back what AIG did to me.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #48
Advanced Member

winterize

TC, we live in Alberta, 60 miles from the Rockie Mountains.

Mac, not taking anything wrong, I enjoy reading your posts and will continue to read them.

We also have 2 fairly old cars that still run and run well. We have 1992 Nissan with 224,000 miles and have never done anything to it mechanically other than changed the water pump one time.

Up until 8 months ago, I was driving a 1965 Ford Fairlane back and forth to work. It has 95,000 original miles on it, an old slant six and a 3-on-the-tree. Again we have done nothing to this car and it runs great. Went out in the back just this past week-end, turned the key and the old Ford fired right up and away we went for a ride.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
winterize

[quote=Top Cat (TC) ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rickyboy ... #00722":5apq4v91
ahh mac?

works for me.
What is that, is it a kerosine heater?
If so, how many gallons of kero do you go through in the winter down time.
I live in NY State and do not heat the garage my bikes are in.[/quote:5apq4v91]

T.C. Not sure if you're kidding or not, ??? but.....It's an electric, sealed, oil heater. You just plug it in. Mine, {not exactly as shown} has three settings.....700 watts, 800 watts, or both to make a total of 1500 watts. I usually keep it set on 700 W. There is of course a dial setting where you select the heat setting of your choice. A low to med. setting usually does me fine for taking the dampness and chill out of the garage.

The topic is/was winterizing and the issue of moisture came up. I questioned if when the climate alternates, {as it can in places such as Calgary, Canada}, between cold and then warm and back to cold throughout the winter if that can be damaging to the bike. i.e. causing more moisture than say in a steadily cold climate. Here on the west coast you might have noticed we get a lot of rain in the winter and spring. That's why I use the heater. To help keep the moisture down, and to help keep my a$$ a little warmer when working in the garage.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #50

winterize

Rick, nope. I was serious. If I was kidding I would have put a ;) next to the question.
So, do you leave this heater on all winter and if so, how much does it raise your electric bill? ( I'm serious )
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #51
Sr. Contributor

winterize

I was confused about the heater too, but took it for sealed oil. That would spin my dial, unless the trailer the Nomad goes in was insulated to R 38 or something.

CC slant 6? Ford?? So far as I know only Chrystler used slant 6's, but I could be wrong. i was never any sort of American car tech unless I happend to own one.

I had a push button Dodge once with a slant 6. That was a winter beater.

I recall Fords with straight 6's. Don't take that wrong either, because i am not familar with Ford, but it could be a trick to catch me.

I know back to 1950's 544 Volvos to 85' Real Beetles (air cooled) Lots of kinds of triumphs, MG's, Saabs, and lots more, but not much on American Iron, other than what I once had or still have.

This is one reason I don't ride or want to ride a Harley.

In 244,000 miles i suspect you forgot a few 4 wheel brake re-workings, some shocks, exhausts, and etc.... too...

My volvo wagon is on a 2nd set of brake rotors, countless brake pads have been turned to dust. The floor was broken from dorr pillar to door pillar when I bought it, and it needed a water pump then.
I did a new timing belt just because back then too, Fall 97' when I bought it. Several exhaust parts have been replced more than once over the years, but over all it is still a great car and pretty quick, being turbo.

The killer will be the day the turbo fails.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #52
Advanced Member

winterize

Your right mac, it's a straight 6 not a slant 6 but it still runs great.

As for the Nissan, brakes once and all the regular maintenance stuff has been done but no engine work except for the water pump.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #53
Sr. Contributor

winterize

Ah HAA it was a trick question..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #54
Top Contributor

winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Rick, nope. I was serious. If I was kidding I would have put a ;) next to the question.
So, do you leave this heater on all winter and if so, how much does it raise your electric bill? ( I'm serious )
OK,...I leave it on if there's snow on the ground, monsooning and/or if the temp dips down to the low 40'sF or high 30's.
Does it cost much? hummm Not that much. A few bucks a month. But remember the avg. temp here on the coast in the winter is about 40 -50 F. just a cost of having a bike, for me.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #55

winterize

OK, your over there by the Pacific Ocean, BC Canada.
I for some reason thought you were here on the East coast :-[
Didn't do well in geography in school.
I would have to leave the heater on all the time here in NY State.
Thanks for bearing with me :)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #56
Top Contributor

winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
OK, your over there by the Pacific Ocean, BC Canada.
I for some reason thought you were here on the East coast :-[
Didn't do well in geography in school.
I would have to leave the heater on all the time here in NY State.
Thanks for bearing with me :)
Yes I'm here in "lotus land".......Although last winter was a killer. We had record snowfalls. And cold. The heater was on a lot.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad