Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #16

Where did YOU ride this summer...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin
On another note, I did a lot of thinking about the term "flyover country." I started the ride thinking that Flyover country was merely a descriptive term used by people who travel from coast to coast.

Now, I really believe the term applies to parts of the country some elites deem unworthy of stopping; as if things are so boring/hickish, who'd WANT to stop there.

Their loss.
From someone who lives in the center of flyover country...
thanks.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Well, bought my leftover '08 April 1, this year. Did a lot of short trips all in Alabama. Put 3968 miles on the bike. Then September 3, I headed out of Boaz, AL on my way to Killeen, TX to see my daughter. Rode over 400 miles that day and spent the night in Monroe, LA. Got up and started out Sep 4, made it to Killeen about 7:30 PM that night. Enjoyed spending time with my daughter and two grand children. Got up Sunday morning Sep 6, and headed down and over to Fredericksburg, TX to have lunch with a bunch of the Texas riders then down to Luckenbach, TX for Chuck Burt's memorial ride. Great meeting all those guys and getting to know them. Sep 8, headed out from my daughters and back to Alabama. Trip to Killeen was 862 miles each way. Start of trip Nomad had 3968 miles on it and when I got home it had 6090 miles. for a total of just over 2,000 miles in 6 days. Wonderful trip and enjoyed my first long ride on the Nomad.
Gene

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #18

Other than the local oe day trips every weekend,I was able to get 3 extended trips in this summer.
First one was from central California down the Pacific Coast Hwy to San Diego on a 3 day weekend ride.Wow,what a ride.
Second was after I returned home to South Carolina.We took off for a week long camping trip in the Smokies.I really believe that some of the best riding roads in the country are within 50 miles of the National Park.Rode the Dragon again while on this trip.
Third trip was a week long trip to visit my brother in Toledo,Oh.This was the first long trip pulling my trailer with the Nomad.I can't say enough about how much easier a trailer makes long distance touring.Trailer pulled fantastic.Only problem was a flat on the trailer,but we caught it before it went completely flat and had it repaired without any delays.
Planning a trip to Texas this Christmas.Have to love the extended riding season in the south.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
Advanced Member

From home base of Ontario, 25 states and 9 provinces this year, many of them more than once. Saw the Pacific from CA, OR, WA and BC, saw the Atlantic from FL and NS, saw the Gulf of Mexico from FL, rode the shores of all the Great Lakes, saw the tidal bore at the Bay of Fundy, toured the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence in PQ, NB, PEI and NS, camped along Georgian Bay and Nottawasaga Bay, rode the Hoover dam over Lake Mead, crossed the Mississippi and St Lawrence rivers twice, rode the Confederation Bridge over Northumberland Strait, saw the Colorado River at the bottom of Grand Canyon, dined at Rita's along Bras d'Or lake. So far this year, about 10,000 kms was on my Drifter, 30,000 on my Nomad and over 40,000 on my Voyager. And the year's not done yet ;)

Garry

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #20

Early summer trip from Mass to Georgia and back clocked about 2700 miles on that one with side trips

Labor day weekend trip from MA to Maggie Valley SC, then the dragon, then back home. Did the dragon Sat in dry weather and Sun in the rain..... about 2300 miles on that trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550
From home base of Ontario, 25 states and 9 provinces this year, many of them more than once. Saw the Pacific from CA, OR, WA and BC, saw the Atlantic from FL and NS, saw the Gulf of Mexico from FL, rode the shores of all the Great Lakes, saw the tidal bore at the Bay of Fundy, toured the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence in PQ, NB, PEI and NS, camped along Georgian Bay and Nottawasaga Bay, rode the Hoover dam over Lake Mead, crossed the Mississippi and St Lawrence rivers twice, rode the Confederation Bridge over Northumberland Strait, saw the Colorado River at the bottom of Grand Canyon, dined at Rita's along Bras d'Or lake. So far this year, about 10,000 kms was on my Drifter, 30,000 on my Nomad and over 40,000 on my Voyager. And the year's not done yet ;)

Garry
Damn....and I thought Emu rode a few miles. Next year I'm guessing you'll be ridin' the Al-Can, eh....??
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #22

Garry[/quote]
Damn....and I thought Emu rode a few miles. Next year I'm guessing you'll be ridin' the Al-Can, eh....?? [/quote]

I do and did ... a few less than gv550 that is LOL ... Always good to read of others who travel far and wide.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #23

In April did the SE Rally in Helen, GA; May did a few in state day trips; June went to Custer, 4900+ miles round trip; July did an Iron Butt to Ohio and stopped in Cleveland, TN to see Goose and David; nothing much in August; September, went to St. Augustine on a Labor Day trip and last weekend did a little 400 mile day trip to see Jim with Mike.

Didn't get as much as riding as I wanted to though.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #24

I had told wife that I would take her on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. So in June we took a cruise on the Nomad through; Texas,Mexico,Arizona,Nevada,Utah,Colorado,Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas-in 12 days. trip of a lifetime. Our pics are posted on Myspace carey/tamma.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #25

Congrats to all those who posted and the gang who rode to Custer, we really do have some riders in this group! My reason for getting the Nomad was to ride several of the National Parks, which I did: Rocky Mtn. Yellowstone, Teton, Bryce and home. Thinking about a "border 2 border" (Mexico to Canada) next summer.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #26

Here's my summer riding:

May 09 - Gowrie, IA to Huntsville, AL and return.

Jun 09 - Iowa to Galena, IL to LaCrosse, WI to Minnesota and south back to Iowa. (great ride and great friends)

June 09 - Iowa to Custer, SC (Kawanow Rally) to Great Falls, MT to Moose Jaw, SK, to Saskatoon, SK and back to Iowa.

July 09 - Iowa to Longview, MN and return to Iowa.

Love that Nomad!! BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #27

I normally ride about 8,000 miles per year. My big ride this year was out of Cambridge ON, through the following states NY, VT, NH ME to Bar Harbor ME. Took the Cat ferry over to Yarmouth NS, on into Halifax NS, then to PEI by ferry and off the island again on the Confederation bridge to NB, and back through ME, NH, VT , NY and back home to Ontario. Trip was approx 2800 mi in about 18 days. Heading to the province of Newfoundland next year.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #28

About 6500 miles.

Went west through Canada from London, Ontario and turning up the Yellowhead highway then down the glacier parkway into the Rocky mountains. From there we came back through the northern U.S. from Washington dropping south as far as Iowa and Nebraska before heading up through Wisconsin into Michigan and home.

Aside from that a lot of just riding around with trips ranging from the usual countryside runs to a 1000 mile run from London to northern Ontario and back.