Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #1

1700 Ride Report - Correct Board

Please ignore this same report in the off topic board, posted there by mistake.
I was reading in the 1700 Garage forum a comment by Bob Wilson asking for more information from riders of the 09 Nomad so I thought I would give my thoughts. I just came back from a 3 day trip to Lake Placid NY and put on 1500 Km - about 900 miles. I wanted to try a longer trip than usual to see if I would like the seat before planning an even longer adventure. I am 5'11' (I think I'm shrinking) and weigh about 210 lb (wish I was a little less). My Nomad now has 5I00 km - 3000 miles. I have not owned a Nomad before but did own a 2006 Vulcan 900, so here goes.

Ergonomics -
1) I was surprised at comfort level of the seat. I was in the saddle for 7- 8 hours on one day, including breaks and never felt uncomfortable. Previously for shorter day rides the seat seemed crampy, so perhaps I reached the break in point. It was fine for the whole trip, to my pleasant surprise. As this trip covered a lot of different types of roads and speeds, it is time in the saddle not distance traveled that is a good test of comfort.
2) The bars and seating position were comfortable as well. The 09 does not need risers and the motorcycle turns extremely well in tight situations like parking lots. The ride is closer to a standard set up I think, and not as feet forward as my 900. The set up also makes it a lot of fun for the sweeping turns around the mountain roads and was a pure joy to ride, powering out of tight corners.
3) With the windshield set at the lowest position I can see easily over the top. A perfect position for me. There is less head turbulence on this bike than the 900 and none from over the windshield.
4) The Kawi has wide bars so I did notice my leather jacket filling up with wind like a balloon. I did not notice this with my summer gear. The problem was easily solved with switching to gauntlets, needed anyway for the cooler days in the Adirondacs.
5) Wind buffeting did occur at cruising speeds around 120 km - 72 mph. The wind comes up from under the shield along the legs and into the stomach, chest area. This again was not noticed in the summer, I guess for the cooling effect, but was noticed on the cooler days. I understand that previous Nomads had issues with buffeting too.
Performance;
1) I will never buy another bike again without cruise control. I just love it. It allowed me to move my arms, take pressure off the wrist, etc. Wonderful.
2) To avoid a clunking sound it is best to change quickly into second gear, 3rd can take you easily to 100 km (60) and 4th is my favourite as it seems to pull and smooth out the engine. Overdrive is also great to have but most effective around 120 km +
3) I am concerned about mileage. It varies so much and I can not give you a true answer. I am asking the mechanic when I take it in for its 5000 km oil change next week. So far it seems a little low.
4) The 1700 pulls in all gears nicely, and cruises at highway speeds. It is so stable that you only need a light touch on the bars in cruise control.
The bags:
I never had side opening bags but found these top loading ones easy to use. There is no problem with their strength as suggested in other postings. They can be a little hard to latch. I found the top loading so practical for getting out a map while in my seat (GPS is next purchase) and for quickly accessing a drink, rain gear etc. I used them a lot.
I hope I have been too lengthy as I tried to address questions raised in this forum. Overall the bike is great to ride. I would like less updraft and will try to get larger size lowers to see if that helps. Next I am looking into highway foot pegs but am not sure how they will be with the riding position.
Clyde

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Good review Clyde, enjoy the ride.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the review

Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Good review! Thanks!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #5

Seems like you answered a lot of our questions. Thanks.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Great review. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #7

I made an oversize set of lowers and I put a set of airlite engine chaps (fit and look fantastic) on my 1700 and they kill that lower wind up your leg buffeting issue completly. I also made some velcro wraps for my jacket wrists that kill the ballooning effect too.
airlite site.
http://www.airlite.ca/

Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

I added the Airlite engine chaps to my 1700 nomad as well. It makes a nice difference with the wind, but I wouldn't recommend using them in 90+ degree days.

Check out Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway pegs. Lots of room for adjustment and I think after week of moving them around I might have found my happy spot.

link here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Old 09-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #9

Thanks...it is nice to get a balanced report!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylar
I added the Airlite engine chaps to my 1700 nomad as well. It makes a nice difference with the wind, but I wouldn't recommend using them in 90+ degree days.

Check out Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway pegs. Lots of room for adjustment and I think after week of moving them around I might have found my happy spot.

link here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
Could you show us several different pictures of the Airlite chaps on your bike and did you get them with or without the pockets? I am getting ready to order mine but would like to see pictures first. Thanks for your help.

John

Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #11

I was just considering the engine chaps too and found this web site. If you scroll down you can see the ones for the 1700.
http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/CTGY/KAWASAKI.html
Does anyone know the difference between these and the airlite?
Thanks for all the great leads and suggestions too.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #12

Thanks for the thorough report on your view of the 1700. I tried sitting on one in the showroom and after a few minutes I felt crotch-bound. I am curious why the saddle bags have such a big notch taken out of them, when the 1600 Nomads do not. I think the top loading bags make much more sense than the side loading that I have on both my 1500 Gold Wing and Nomad.