Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Replaced everything and she's still broke...

Help would be much appreciated, here's the story:

1999 Kawi 1500; clutch master cylinder blew the diaphragm about July. After getting it home I noticed the rear tire needed to be replaced and while everything was off the bike anyways, I replaced the factory “red” with a new blue. After gobs of work on the body and clutch, I had it back on the road. All in-town road tests were fine, and I decided to run a nice day trip (unsure if this is even related).

About 20 miles out she stalled. The starter kicked it back over in the breakdown lane and I was on my way, until about 30 miles further when it happened again. This time there was no bringing it back to life. I let her sit for about 8 hours, then ride back with a friend and jump-start her. She kicked over and had knock in the rear cylinder, shut her down and went and got my pickup. Once she was home in the garage I started the diagnosis.

The owner before me did all sorts of crazy inside the motor, upped the compression to 10:1, removed all the emissions stuff and who knows what else. My first thought was a bad spark advance / timing, but an adjustable CDI box proved that wrong. Replaced the battery, still starts only when jumped and only runs for a few seconds and stalls. Won’t start again for days. Tested compression and failed in the rear. Ok, something’s wrong on the inside. Take the motor out. Apparently the first guy used Permitex to seal the parts back up. Can’t find any bad valves, lash preventors or the compression release.

I gave up and bought a salvaged ’98 motor with 1500 miles on it, which the shop claimed ran and shifted just fine. Put that in and put the parts on to test it. Jumped it and it fired up and ran fine, YAY! So I put the trim pieces on and the exhaust and intake on. Jump her again, fires up and after 6 months I’m excited for a road test. She stalls out. Now she won’t start again, just like before. Except this time I’m on a different engine all together. All I can see that I haven’t replaced yet is the carb, exhaust, fuel pump, radiator, and non-moving parts.

Is there something I missed? Where do I look now, or is a visit to the dealer in order? Kawi techs are telling me $3,000 could get her road worthy again, and she’s not really worth anything as is…

Anyone want a half disassembled 1500 with 27500 on it? ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #2

Have you checked the gas tank for dirt in the system, or a faulty fuel pump. Also make sure your ignition switch is not defective and causing an intermittent contact on ignition. These are a couple things I would rule out before I tear into this motor. It could also be a bad wire or wires in the harness somewhere. These Vulcans have a very good reputation for having durable engines, I find it very unusual that you would have had two bad ones in a row that show the same symptoms. Keep looking for a simpler solution.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #3

I would definitely look closely at the ignition switch and wiring. Especially if it has been relocated or replaced with an aftermarket or Harley type switch.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

Near as I can tell, the ignition switch is stock, but doesn't mean it's still good. Maybe a fresh set of eyes on the problem (i.e. switch, pump, etc.) pointed me in the right direction, I'll have to get into it again this weekend and see what's what.

Thanks guys and I'll keep y'all posted!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Look electrical for sure. Good Luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Isn't there a resistor behind the ignition switch that has been giving some owners fits?

When the bike fails to start, does the fuel pump run to prime the injectors? I would also check the fuel filter inside the tank.. You said the compression check on the rear cylinder failed? What does this mean? No compression would prevent the bike from starting, not cause it to stall & not re-fire.

I do think you an electrical gremlin somewhere.....

Check your clutch switch, kick stand switch & kill switch on the handlebars...With the bike running, start pulling & tugging on all wires to see if you have a loose connection somewhere. That's all I got.....-Rich

Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

+1 redeye. I bet its one those switches.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I haven't time to be on line much over the winter, but that engine has a decompression device on cly 2.. This is to assist in starting, so if you still have that engine do not throw it out or give it away lightly..

I am not sure what the proceedure is to test comp, but it ain't pull a plug and wind in a comp tester just like that!

From the symptoms it coiuld be a lot of things.. Could be a bad coil breaking down could be anything in the fuel system anywhere starting in the tank any place in the line, the fuel pump and the carbs. or none of that..

What is all this jumping to the battery for? Won't it crank and turn over with the start button?

I hope you are not using a running other vehical to jump with.

Check for spark first, if you have it begin checking for fuel.

If the engine needs a jump every single time to turn when you press the button you have a problem in the battery and ot the start system

You are all over the board and with no order, so I can't tell what the basic problem is except this don't run.

I'll try and get back here in a few days... get some order to the madness.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #9

Finally some good news! After some major melt downs at work with OSHA and Building inspectors (The beauty of construction), I had some time to work on the poor bike and it's back on the road.

The 'old' engine appears to have blown a gasket in one of the heads. The goobers who worked on it before me used Permatex to seal it back up and I'm willing to bet it leaked somewheres. The other issues was a hellicious combination.
Battery had a bad cell or was somehow defective
Carb float had somehow stuck itself
Fuel filter was partially clogged
Fuel pump was upset, don't know why for sure, but I'm guessing either a clog or loose wire, but after a diag with the DMM and the "kerosene" test proscribed in the shop manual it started pumping again

I've rode her to work two days now, total of 60ish miles, half on a freeway, with no issues. This weekend I'm going to take a day-trip up to Fort Collins (about 100 total miles) and see how she does on a little longer run (Assuming weather holds).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #10

Good to see that you are back on the road. Hope this is the end of your troubles.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #11

It wouldn't hurt to run a tankful or two of Seafoam through the bike, It will help clean up the fuel system a bit more.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951