Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #16

Self Cancelling Blinkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom45
Doesn't our Nomads have self canceling blinkers? I could have sworn mine did. I usually bump the switch with my thumb after I turn (habit) but today I noticed they wouldn't cut off on their own. I only noticed this after I installed the Stebel horn but it's only connected to the battery and the horn button. I get the most weird problems and now my speedometer quit working right. I had the cable disconnected and this morning as I was going down the highway a guy was pointing at my from wheel. The cable had slipped out of the stearing head and through the wire hanger then was dragging. Ruined the housing and lost the speedometer nut. Now I need a speedometer and a cable.
I finally found a used speedometer in Georgia for about $25 cheaper than a new one. Guess 'll look around a little more.

Zoom45
Man Zoom, when it rains, it pours.

Here's an old thread about the same topic...maybe it will provide some good reading. http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=5627

Take care,
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #17

Self Cancelling Blinkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
I KNEW there was a reason I joined KawaNOW... ! Learning my turn signals self-cancel will go into the "stupid Norwegian" category along with my late arrival to the "heel on board/toe on peg" riding position.. .

Thx everyone!
Stupid Norwegian spoken here (as well as stupid German, and stupid Pole, and stupid Irish, and stupid English, and ...)
Rich

Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #18

Self Cancelling Blinkers

It's actually pretty neat. It's more than just a timing device or cut off after a certain amount of blinks. Because you can sit at a stop light for 5 minutes and it won't cut off. It's either linked to some sort of lean seensor or maybe a measure of distance. In slow neightbor hood speeds it will still cut off a couple seconds after the turn, and at highway speeds same deal. But sitting will keep blinking. Very nice.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #19

Self Cancelling Blinkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
Good habit to cancel when your done anyway. Automatic is backup in case I forget or too busy.
Have to agree, this is the system I use

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #20

Self Cancelling Blinkers

manual says the preffered method is to push the button to cancel.automatic is just a backup.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #21

Self Cancelling Blinkers

I liked it when mine worked. It must be connected to the speedometer but my speedometer is a manual cable operated type. When my speedometer quit, I disconnected the cable and that's when I noticed the self cancel feature quit working. Maybe some of the wiring (which I thought was for lights only linked to the blinkers. I just figured it worked off funny magic I guess. Mine is a 2000 Nomad.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #22

Self Cancelling Blinkers

G'day all. First time post from a newbie in South Australia. I'm actually going the opposite way from most of you guys, and disabling my self-cancelling indicators. I've found that too often they cut out when I think they are still on. I've pulled up to corners several times, and looked down, only to find that they have turned off. I've only ever known manual indicators, so I'll disconnect these and ride the old way!
Cheers!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #23

Self Cancelling Blinkers

Welcome to the forum Dingo! Once you get the chance, you'll have to tell us a little about your ride, and send some pics of the scenery down-under.
Rich

Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #24

Self Cancelling Blinkers

Welcome from another Ozzie Dingo have fun there a great mob here at kawanow for yanks that is.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #25

Self Cancelling Blinkers

I'm not sure how to disable them. One of the wires on the back of the speedometer must connect to the relay for the blinkers. I think it's the one next to the cable in the center. There's a metal tang inside the speedometer that fits close to the drum that turns with the cable. That must be the pickup for it.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles