Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #61
Sr. Contributor

Cold start solenoids on switch?

Well, I don't know Todd well, but he's got real shootin irons, likes campin, the woods, and bikes.. So I'd be willin' to share a camp fire any ol' time..
Lots of folks have lost the old ways and had better pray hard times never come. A day where pressing the right button does nothing. The day yer credit card don't work, like forever, never happens, whether or not you got what's called money.

I know I won't be wipin my tail end with the wrong leaves right now.

That brings to mind a Laconia Bike Week, and by standers setting about knockin down a few cold ones in the bushes long side the road. My woman was rolling me a smoke. Just tobacco, but one guy came on the run with a 12 pack, and asked for the joint.

I advised him it was a great trade fer me, but the 'product wasn't what he thought it was. (I inhaled my fair share long ago, and just lost interest).

After the question was answered I asked him why he, and everyone else was sitting in poision ivy? I kinda got the idea none of them were 'gettin any' that night, and maybe not fer the next two weeks! Flatlander's!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

hahahahaha..........mac your brutal!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #63
Sr. Contributor

Naw, I'm too small to be brutal.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #64

Too bad we didn't do this in the general topics forum where everybody else would be seeing it :)

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #65

mac, I want to go back to the post you made about eating stuff from last years garden. You said you froze it. Did you mean it was frozen in the winter? You don't have a freezer in your kitchen as far as i can make out from the pic. You do have snow on the floor though.
Just curious as to haw one could do that.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #66
Sr. Contributor

Dan I knew it was OT.. I seem to go here and the mc topic board only.. Most folks could care a less what makes me tick anyway. I never thought it would pass the first OT post..

I have made my own chaps before but that was ages ago, and I don't know where they went. I made riding jackets before anyone could buy one. Well there was that marlin brando rig since forever, but when i was young only bad guys wore them, and I didn't like the flapping collars beating my ears. Pre lid days back then, no turn signals, all kick start bikes. Real red glass tail light lenses, etc etc...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Dan I knew it was OT.. I seem to go here and the mc topic board only.. Most folks could care a less what makes me tick anyway. I never thought it would pass the first OT post..

We all tend to think everyone else does what we do, more than they do.

I don't click on many topics in here, but happened to click this one. So it was just luck that I got this one, so anyone else like me is missing it.

So right before the fall of civilization, how about moving to Denver?

BTW, this thread is all about stuff I've thought about and wondered about. I've wondered in awe about the knowledge that is lost (except to a few like yourself) that was once common knowledge that everyone knew.

Salting meat for example. It is just a phrase to me. As I said earlier, I'd lose meat after a few days. Wouldn't know what to do with it.

How do you build a workable cistern? How do you make a door for a log cabin? Etc. etc.

There was a time when everybody knew the answers, but modern society has made that information very specific, rather than common knowledge.

I do see that it looks like you had to go out of your way to avoid Colorado on your map. Somebody you don't like living here? Ex wife? :)

Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #68
Sr. Contributor

TC, No I live in a box now... It has hot running water even, and real flush toliet. I just rent it.

So there is a freezer, but it cost money, unlike the one in the pic with snow.. I had a freezer there too, but it was too cold, and I had to boil water and put it in jugs to keep the freezer -10ish.

You can see the same poles in both pics, so the tee pee is right there too. I came by a metal box like a steamer trunk which is rusty some and on split wood just off the ground. Another box made from a vw engine crate and lined in blue foam was the refer...

We had 5 cooking device places.. One was a barrel stove I had made to boil maple sap, and so convered that to hold a old hynk of flat iron, but it didn't fit over all, so I came by a big farm mail box, which added what I needed and became a oven. The stove was mounted on skis.

I just built another one this past winter to make sugar on too, which is on skis. This one is the best so far with a pan 21"x 33 3/4"x6" and has 2 dividers.

The other cooking places were in the tee pee a open fire pit and cracked woodstove as the fire back/reflector, in the fire pit, so the open coals were used as well as the stove top. Tge stove could hold colas over night this way.

The other place was the summer kitchen, which was a roof from a CCC wall tent with benches and 2 fire pits.. One for kindling and flames to creat coals and the other for a dutch oven, and it recieved coals only.

Water came straight from a clear stream running out of a spring up the moutain. The same water you can buy as Castle in the Clouds Spring Water in stores.. I wasn't on their Spring, but I was on that mountain. Living like that is illegal, but no one will come to find out..

I was building a cabin there, but I never got it finished. I spent too much time playing with wild life. It had 4 log walls and purlins, a door openings for windows, and oak log floor joists when I abandoned it.

After 1 year there I came on a little work and rented another box in the middle of that ring dike, also right on another stream, where electricty powered a pump and a foot valve in the stream.

About 2 weeks after moving there my closest neighbor came to see me and see what I was. Pretty funny old man. He was a size 54 chest! A real big man in his day. He crawled out of a Nissian pick up real slow, straightend up, put both hands on his hips, looked at me, then looked all around, and then back at me and said "Boy do you know where you are?"

Now I knew what that ment. He was talking about the winter, and I didn't have the look I could make it to him. The past winter was a record cold one, and with deep snow over 5 feet at the tee pee.

So I replied sure I know where this is, last winter I spent in Cannen living in a tee pee!

He gave me a look as if I just took his hair.... After that we became good friends til he passed.

We rode out the ice storm up there, and I did what was needed to assist him with his generator, and other things to see he and his wife stayed warm and safe. That was the storm that cleaned out all New England NY state and into Canada.. There was 54 poles busted off between us and the main road 6 miles away.

I had everything you have... Ice for cold foods, hot water from the wood stove and oil lamps to see by at night, a nice Blaupunct radio 12dcv from a German car. I scared the ever living hell out of the work crews.. They thought I had power...

For better than 2 weeks I brought all the crews fresh coffee and donuts right off the stove.. They had to give me gasoline to get it done..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #69
Sr. Contributor

Dan, No winter was setting up and I had 3 broken ribs. I had a invite from a poster on mcusa in Colorado Springs too.. I just missed Co. My x lives in Bartlett NH, just up the road, and I am remarried to the gal in the picture. I fear nothing that runs, walks or crawls except the brown Recluse Spider, which isn't native here.

I don't think you really want me to tell you the How To, but I can. I have power tools for wood, a 19th centyr box full in the box of man powered tools like a Stanley 55 plane, and the rest, plus some augers from the 18th century, which are not wall hangers or dust collectors.

I have a 1874 Singer made for making boots, which is man powdered with a swivel head. You don't turn the item to change the direction, you turn the sewing head.

I have 2 gas powered chain saws (Industrial husky's) and 2 slave whips (2 man cross cuts)

Auto: Snap On air and hand tools.. My 84 chevy plow truck has been rebuilt 4 times, last time in 03, and has been converted back to points and condenser.

It comes under Keep it simple stupid rules... I am not calling you a name... All my vehicals are 80's vintage for many reasons. Only the 06 Nomad is different.

So at anytime I can do what ever I please. Tools for most thing in 2 centuries and I don't count the 21st yet..

If you did want answers to the How To there is a wonderfull series of books called Fox Fire, sponcered by the Govt in the depression.. maybe that was the last good thing the Govt ever did???

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #70
Sr. Contributor

Todd..... " built a .58 cal zouave...that was a monster!!! " Was that a rifled bore? The silly war is past my time.. So it is a real question. I think it fired a mini Min'ay, which is a god awful hunk of lead fer sure.

I run that little caintucky .40 which shoots a pea in .0395, and then I get bigger with a Nor West Gun, the real gun that won the west in time. That was a semi kit from a old geezer that made metal parts. You got the metal parts and hunk of walnut plank LOL.

I made a short sword and traded that for a Bess in 75 cal, shoots a 0.735 ball with the pig sticker and a bullet mould.

That brass barrel flint pistol I made from shop junk, pieces of a siler lock now made or carried anyway by Jim Chambers in W.Va. The barrel was solid round brass stock I drilled reamed and breeched in steel. The wood came from a plank 16 feet long.. It shares round ball with the Nor West gun in 0.600

So 3 are smoothies, and I sewed a irish charger which I add bench swept shot to from reloading 12ga and 16..

You ever have a single drop of water ever land in a melting pot with hot lead before? Holy Smokes is that bad news.. I managed to pull that one off, and thank the stars i had just moved away from the pot. Some how inside a barn with a metal roof one drop of water formed, and it landed in that pot. What a mess, but at least I wasn't covered in hot lead..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #71
Top Contributor

That .58 is smooth bore.....real accurate for about 40 yards....kinda accurate up to 80.....after that is was just dumb luck!!!! My Kentucky is .45...got a .50 hawkens style. As a teenager I used to "bark" squirrels with the .45....if you missed and hit the squirrel there wasn't much but fur left. Used the Hawken mostly for deer. That .58cal has buffalo sites on it for allegedly long shots but the drop on those bullets (used cast bullets not balls) was so erratic I dont know how they ever killed a buffalo beyond 100 yards except for the fact that the buffalo back then just stood around in herds, so you probably just shot into the herd and took whatever you hit.

I don't get to shoot those guys as much anymore......usually just in primitive weapon season and just before to test em out......getting harder to find real black powder and I don't really like pyrodex as much. Now I use the modern stuff most of the time...like I said early, I have assimilated into the Walmart world

I'll bet if you asked BD how to harden his frizzen you would get an interesting story I wonder if he would know that he should wrap it up first?
I'll bet he can't even get a spark anymore,,,, sorry BD, your girl's been talkin' again

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #72
Sr. Contributor

Hmm Todd that sounds painful... I use casenite from brownell's. Yeah BP is getting hard to get.. I buy in Maine at Kittery trading post, and am working out the How To for home rolling my own, as I forsee things in the future and one of them is No More powda..

I can make better charcoal than GOEX, I can get good sulfer, but NOX3 is the harder part with out close by live stock, and the gummymint bought that all out in the 80's here, paying farmers to not produce and sell their cattle. But I will have it soon..

As far as i can tell only real BP works in flinters.. The other stuff just is S L O W..

Tursday moring I head to Muster in the Mountains.. be gone till late Sunday night. I see it is going to be a wet one... oh well, it's been wet before. Looks warm though, and I have seen snow at this event a few times, so wet's ok with me.

umm, I am begining to understand why you can't share my lodge.

Yeah right... ::)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #73
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Wets ok with Todd He likes em' wet. Todd's Lodge!! It's amazing what gets lodged.........

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #74

macmac,

Impressive!

It's a gift to be self-sufficient.

You have every right to be proud.

John